September 2011 Moms
Options

No longer a Sept Mommy. But need to get this off my chest.

No one has told me my official due date we have just been going off of my FDLP. Which would make me 9w 3d. We went to the dr. on Friday for my first "official" ultrasound(we found out we were expecting while having an ultrasound done to look at my cysts).

Well, the doctor did a pelvic and says "you are certainly pregnant, your uterus is very enlarged." good news right? Then we do the "wand" and she says she can see a yolk sac but it looks like the baby sac has stopped growing @ around 6-7 weeks. She turns the machine off and starts saying that it looks like the sac is collapsing and hands me a pamphlet on miscarriage and says we can schedule a D&C or wait to pass it on my own. We are just devastated. I don't feel any different then what I did 2 weeks ago. I haven't had any cramping or bleeding. And the more I think on it, if I am incorrect on my days then I could possibly be about 7w. I know we were intimate on Jan 6, then on the 25 is when they saw a pregestational sac. But the dr was working under the assumption that I was 9 weeks 2 d. What if she was wrong?

I think I am just holding onto false hopes here but I can't help but think that we would be given such a gift after being told I was infertile, due to cancer treatments, and then it just be taken away.

Re: No longer a Sept Mommy. But need to get this off my chest.

• Options

So sorry you're having to deal with all that.  Sad  I don't have a lot of advice to offer, but if you honestly feel that way, I would go get a second opinion.  Good luck to you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Wow. I'm sorry you had that experience at the doctor. I would CERTAINLY get a second opinion before doing a D&C. Is there a midwife you can see at a local clinic or hospital? If you don't know when you ovulated is very possible to be incorrect on how far along you are. Go with your gut on this one. The doctor may very well be correct, but from the information you give there isn't enough evidence to conclusively say. I would want a second opinion for sure. Good luck. Let us know what you find out.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would definitely get a second opinion!! I think you have every right to hold on to hope.. Don't let that as$hole take that from you. Sounds like a horrible experience with a DR that should have taken much more time with you and shown a little empathy.
    You have the right to wait this out and try to miscarry naturally, if that is in fact whats going on. I would absolutely go see another Dr and go over your options. I have read on these boards more than once about someone who was off a week or two .. And they waited it out and found a heartbeat. I guess you should ask yourself.. Would you always wonder "what if??" if you would... Go see another Dr.
    GL. T &P for you.
  • Options
    Was there anything inside the gestational sac? At 7 weeks the doctor should have seen a fetal pole, and the sac should have been round. Yes, you should get a second opinion if you aren't comfortable with what your doctor has told you; however, from what you described it sounds like a missed miscarriage or a blighted ovum. I'm so so sorry for what you are having to go through right now.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1: 07/10/2009, Missed m/c, D&C 08/12/2009
    BFP #2: 01/31/2010, Identical Twins died in utero due to TTTS, D&E 05/19/2010
    BFP #3: 09/16/2010, natural m/c 9/21/2010
    PCOS & Bocornuate Uterus Dx 1.4.2011
    BFP #4: 01/11/2011
  • Options
    I would defiantly get a second opinion. Good luck Hun I hope everything turns out for the best!!

BFP #1 10/02/06, EDD 5/1/07 Natural Miscarriage 1 week after BFP

BFP #2 3/28/07, EDD 11/19/07 Natural Miscarriage 2 weeks after BFP

BFP #3 1/16/11, 1st U/S - 1/28/11 HR 132bpm, Missed Miscarriage- 2/28/11, D&C 3/8/11 

March 2011, diagnosed with MTHFR gene mutation

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap and tell them about You, but since I didn't get the chance, would You please hold them on Your lap and tell them about me?

BFP #4 6/26/13, EDD 3/8/14, Delivered @ 40w6d
    Bethany Elizabeth born on 3/14/14 @ 6:48am weighing almost 8lbs 1oz and measuring 20 1/2 inches.

• Options
    A healthy gestational sac is rounded. It isn't necessarily a perfect circle, but it should be rounded all the way around. A sac that is jagged or collapsing as it was stated is a pregnancy that is not healthy. Secondly, if you didn't see a heartbeat, then you can be pretty certain that you had a missed miscarriage. If the pregnancy was detected on another ultrasound, then they are probably basing their information off that as well. I'm sorry. I've been through two missed miscarriages, and I know how shocking they are. With my first, I knew intellectually that the doctor was right. However, emotionally, I had a difficult time accepting it, and I questioned the validity of the diagnosis. That is the sucky thing about missed miscarriages. They have no symptoms, which is why it is so shocking when you're told you're having one.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am so, so sorry.  This is horrible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have any advice to add, but just wanted to say how sorry I am that you are going through this. [Hugs]
    BFP#1 20/10/10, natural mc 17/11/10 at 9wks; BFP#2 16/1/11, sticky baby dust required Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageLissa832:
    A healthy gestational sac is rounded. It isn't necessarily a perfect circle, but it should be rounded all the way around. A sac that is jagged or collapsing as it was stated is a pregnancy that is not healthy. Secondly, if you didn't see a heartbeat, then you can be pretty certain that you had a missed miscarriage. If the pregnancy was detected on another ultrasound, then they are probably basing their information off that as well. I'm sorry. I've been through two missed miscarriages, and I know how shocking they are. With my first, I knew intellectually that the doctor was right. However, emotionally, I had a difficult time accepting it, and I questioned the validity of the diagnosis. That is the sucky thing about missed miscarriages. They have no symptoms, which is why it is so shocking when you're told you're having one.

I am so sorry that you're going through this. Especially that you had such a crappy doctor as well, which I don't think helps at all. Unfortunately, I agree with everything that Lissa has said. Again, I'm sorry you're going through this. My thoughts are with you.  

• Options
    Even at 6 weeks, they would be able to detect a heartbeat with the ultrasound. The doctor was probably also basing it on the absence of a heartbeat. A miscarriage is not always accompanied by cramping or bleeding. I'm very sorry that you have to go through this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would get a second opinion if I were you...or wait one more week and request another ultrasound from the same place. I was/am in a similar situation. I was originally told I may have had a blighted ovum...gestational sac but no yolk sac or fetal pole at 5 weeks 2 days. Went back a week later at 6 weeks 4 days and they found a yolk sac this time, but no embryo, no heartbeat and also an abnormal mass of tissue inside the gest sac. At this point my diagnosis got changed from blighted ovum to possible molar pregnancy (really scary stuff). Went back another week later at 7 weeks, 4 days...finally saw tiny baby with nice strong heartbeat. I am now at 11 weeks today (last ultrasound was at 9 weeks, 4 days) and mass is still there, but so is my baby with a strong heartbeat. I have another ultrasound next week at 12 weeks, 4 days and I really hoping for the best. I guess what I am trying to say is that one week made a HUGE difference for me. I went from thinking I needed to schedule an immediate D&C to praying that "my little fighter" just keeps on fighting. My best advice....try to get another ultrasound some time this week. That way you can compare the scans and measurements last week to the scans and measurements from this week and be able to make a more informed decision. The more information you have the better off you are....Good Luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageJosephsSweetie:
    Wow. I'm sorry you had that experience at the doctor. I would CERTAINLY get a second opinion before doing a D&C. Is there a midwife you can see at a local clinic or hospital? If you don't know when you ovulated is very possible to be incorrect on how far along you are. Go with your gut on this one. The doctor may very well be correct, but from the information you give there isn't enough evidence to conclusively say. I would want a second opinion for sure. Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

I agree with this response.  GL and lots of hopeful wishes and thoughts and prayers are headed your way!

• Options

I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I would definitely get a second opinion just so you feel better.  I hate to say that this is the end, but unfortunately it sounds like it might be.  If you don't get that second opinion you'd always wonder what if.

Sending lots of good vibes your way.

bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"