Hawaii Babies

Ugh! Varicella Vax gave Libby Chicken Pox!

She got the vax on the 10th. Earlier this week she had a low grade temp and runny nose and has refused almost all solids, all of which I chalked up  to teething since her molars are right under the gums. Then, on the evening of the 23rd I noticed a few red bumps, including one that was oozing, in her diaper area, but we had been treating her for a yeast diaper rash and I thought it might be due to chaffing in the area that is already rashy. 

Yesterday, I put her down for a nap and when she woke up 2 hours later she had a red, swollen bump right under her right eye. I put some breastmilk on it and in a few hours it was less swollen and looked like a little pimple. Later that day, during bath time, I noticed she had more pimple-like bumps...one behind her ear, several on her leg where she was injected (behind the knee, on her ankle, etc.). Today when she woke up she had two more bumps...one on her back and another one under her arm. All in all she has like 12-13 of them in random places all over her body.

So today I took her to the After Hours Pediatrician (which is open weekday evenings and all day on the weekends) since her regular pedi is closed on the weekends. The doctor said it "could be" chicken pox since it's a live, attenuated vaccine that is given, but rarely do children actually get bumps. Only like 5%. So I asked her, "well, what else could it be?" She said, "do you have pets?" I said, "yes." She said "it could be bug bites." I told her that all of our animals are on flea preventatives and none of them have been itching or scratching and neither me nor my husband have any bites. She didn't say much after that.

Then I said, "she's usually not in daycare but has been this past week and is scheduled to go this week. Given this situation, should I keep her home or is it safe to send her to the babysitter? She has a four year old and a four month old." She paused and said, "well, the four year old has probably been vaccinated but since there's a four month old, she probably shouldn't go..." So I said, "so it's probably chicken pox caused by the vaccine?" Then the doctor said, "well even if it is chicken pox, it's a mild case and there's really not much we can do for it. I can give you a script for some cream..." Arg. This woman would not confirm that it's chicken pox nor would she admit that it was most likely caused by the vaccine. I am so annoyed.

First of all, DH asked the nurse at the pedis office if Libby could get chicken pox from the vaccine and the nurse said no because it wasn't a live virus they were giving her. Well that's false. Secondly, had we known this we would have waited to give her the vaccine, especially since we knew that my mom's OOT and therefore we'd be up a creek if she couldn't go to the babysitters.

So now, I am taking time off work, DH is skipping classes and resolved to take an incomplete on his assignments this week (he gets them assigned on Wednesday and they're due at Noon on Friday....because his instructor's a b!tch. His cohorts that have other instructors all get to turn their assignments in on Monday when they have lecture, but this particular instructor is known to be a hard-ass and purposely makes it difficult for her students.)

This is probably the worst week for me to be out of the office. Although I have plenty of leave time accrued and can use it, the Board is coming in this week and having their meeting. One of the agenda items is to discuss my position and my department (they're pissed with the execs about my demotion, etc.) I am not to be in the discussions, of course, but it doesn't help my case to support that there's plenty of work to be done in my dept. if I am out.

On top of it, we've had 5 snow days this month and I am falling behind on some big projects that are due April 1. Next week, I'll be in Chicago for a conference. Ugh. So I am going to try and work from home...and I will, but even if I do get stuff done one of the executives is against working from home and doesn't believe that people actually do what they say they're doing....even if she's copied in on e-mails and sees the final product of the time worked at home. I am so stressed. I am trying to resolve myself to the fact that if I am to be let go after this board meeting that the decision was probably made before this week and me being out will not have much sway on their opinion either way. *sigh*

I am trying just to focus on Libby and make her as comfortable as possible. Bless her heart, she's not scratching. But she's cranky and clingy. I gave her a lukewarm colloidal oatmeal bath and we're giving her acetaminophen. And snuggling a lot. Poor baby.

Re: Ugh! Varicella Vax gave Libby Chicken Pox!

• Aww poor kiddo! I guess the silver lining is that if she has the vax + a super mild case of pox now, she'll definitely be protected in the future.

If Libby has been at daycare for the last week, perhaps she caught it from another baby there and it's just coincidental? I'm curious because I don't know much about catching a virus from a vax, like how long the symptoms take to show (1 day? 1 week? I have no idea) although I've been told by doctors before that protection isn't instant so it might still be possible to catch something if you're exposed shortly after the shot. Anyone who knows, please educate/correct me!

That really sucks that you'll be out of work for the big meeting - do you know anyone who could watch her for just that one day, perhaps?

• Oh goodness, so sorry Lori. Of course it just had to happen while your mom was OOT and this week being so stressful for you at work. Your DH should ask that b!tchy teacher if she's had the CP. If not, he should go in and have a talk with her and expose her.Devil just kidding... kind of.

• Loading the player...
  • imageredshoegirl:
    If Libby has been at daycare for the last week, perhaps she caught it from another baby there and it's just coincidental? I'm curious because I don't know much about catching a virus from a vax, like how long the symptoms take to show (1 day? 1 week? I have no idea) although I've been told by doctors before that protection isn't instant so it might still be possible to catch something if you're exposed shortly after the shot. Anyone who knows, please educate/correct me!

Lori, I just saw your post on FB and replied there but since Lisa brought it up here I thought I'd post here too.  I don't think that Libby got sick from the vaccine....the CDC confirms that only 1% of vax recipients actually get it from the vaccine (since it is a modified live/attenuated virus) but when it does happen it is mild, does not cause a fever and usually only causes 5-6 blisters.  

while it probably is a mild case of chicken pox, you mentioned first noticing a spot in the area of the diaper rash.... do you think it could be a staph infection? i'm guessing that pedi didn't think so? i just mention that b/c i have read in abby's lane newsletters about blisters like that being staph.  but i am not pediatrician and don't know what the spots look like so i could be totally off here.  just wanted to throw the idea out there.  (and would be more than happy to show pics to Brent to see what he thinks though he says he is not good with derm)

in any case, I am so sorry that this has caused such a problem and big stress for both you and J.  would it not be possible to hire someone else to maybe come to your house and watch her? I know you posted previously on FB about back up emergency child care....would any of these leads work out? or maybe post again and see if someone can help you?

• Thanks for your comments...

The babysitter is a friend who has a four year old and a four month old (who's adopted and I am donating BM to...that's how we met back in October). She is SAHM. The four year old got the Varicella Vax in May last year because her dad got chicken pox. So I am fairly certain she didn't get it from being with them...

They did take Libby with them to church on Tuesday morning and she was in the church daycare with a few other kids for about an hour. Perhaps she was exposed there? But I would think that'd be pretty far fetched. My friend is checking in with the parents of those kids and will let me know tomorrow if any of them have spots, etc. I also had a playdate at the aquarium last Saturday and there were TONS of kids there, so perhaps she was exposed there? I dunno. It's all so coincidental!

From what I've read, the Varicella Vaccine can cause this type of mild case in about 4% of those who receive it. This is from BabyCenter.com, but I've found similar information on the web from other sites too.

Is the chicken pox vaccine a live vaccine?

Varicella is a live-attenuated vaccine. This means it's a live virus that's been weakened so that it won't cause the disease. Instead, the virus will replicate in the cells of the body and cause the body to produce an immune response, which should protect against a real chicken pox infection.

What are the possible side effects?

About 20 percent of children will have some soreness at the site of the injection. About 10 percent have a low-grade fever. About 4 percent have a mild rash (around ten chicken pox?like blisters).

This handout from the AAP lists 7-8% with 15-32 lesions that look like insect bites and low-grade fever. That pretty much describes Libby's situation to a tee. So who knows? Every baby is different.

The paperwork that we were given by the pedi, that is put out by the CDC, says this can happen up to a month after receiving the injection.

At the end of the day, we'll never know for certain how she got it. Perhaps she got it when we were out and about and the vax has helped it not be a full-on case? Or perhaps the vax is what caused it. It's hard to tell for sure. For now, it's just one big ol' craptastic coinky-dink.

So, I'm home from work two full days and one half-day this week and J is taking an incomplete on his homework and going to try and earn the points back on his next exam. We'll also take Libby in to see her regular pedi later this week and follow-up on her diaper rash as well as these random chicken pox spots. We got a script for Nyastin for her diaper rash and hopefully that'll do the trick because the 1% OTC Lotrimin sorta worked but obviously didn't get rid of it all.

I am also wondering what to do with my CDs now. We've had her in sposies through the diaper rash treatment because I didn't want the ointment to ruin my PFs and was also concerned that they may be exasperating the yeast issue. Should I strip them? Boil them? I read that yeast is killed at 122 degrees and our hot water tank is set to 130 and I've run them through a hot wash cycle and dried them on high in the dryer. Not sure what to do here.  I also need to make some fleece liners so that once we're back to CDs it can help to keep her dry since I think the wet PFs are what helped to start the whole diaper rash in the first place. I am gonna start her on probiotics too...until know we've just relied on BM and organic, unsweetened, full-fat yogurt.

• Oh no! hang in there... :-(
    Malia & Dave & Alexa
    Happily married since 2-17-08! Three since 9-9-09!
    Baby Blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageMarried2MrWright:
    I also had a playdate at the aquarium last Saturday and there were TONS of kids there, so perhaps she was exposed there? I dunno. It's all so coincidental!

From what I've read, the Varicella Vaccine can cause this type of mild case in about 4% of those who receive it. This is from BabyCenter.com, but I've found similar information on the web from other sites too.

At the end of the day, we'll never know for certain how she got it. 

I am also wondering what to do with my CDs now.

very true. I was kind of wondering what the odds were that she'd get it from the other family's home (I thought it slim too), but if she was at a public place like the aquarium there is just no telling if she could have gotten it there.  and yes...it's possible it's from the vax too....the first place I had checked said 1% but the actual CDC site says 1-4% get it (so we were both right!)... 

FWIW I just told Brent about this and he said if it's been 2 wks since the vax, it's probably not from the vax... coupled w/the fact that she got the runny nose... he said it's probably a viral exanthem caused from a virus/cold that she picked up from being out and about.  or, since they look like pimples, it could even be a staph or strep infection (but more likely the viral exanthem since she had the runny nose).  but, if it is chicken pox, then the spots will scab over as they are healing. so that is one way to know for sure.

re: the diapers..... according to Steph at Abby's Lane, if the diapers are clean then wash them on hot using 1/4 cup bleach to make sure they are disinfected. more info here.  that small amount of bleach isn't enough to do anything noticeable to your diapers as long as you don't bleach them often.

• imagemrspresley:

re: the diapers..... according to Steph at Abby's Lane, if the diapers are clean then wash them on hot using 1/4 cup bleach to make sure they are disinfected. more info here.  that small amount of bleach isn't enough to do anything noticeable to your diapers as long as you don't bleach them often.

Thanks for this...Joseph wanted to use bleach, but I wasn't sure. We've been usng our unbleached cotton PFs for over a year and never bleached them. So I guess doing it now won't be so awful. I really want to get back to using them...sposies are a PITA and pricey!

• oh wow!  I'm so sorry you guys are going through this!  I hope that however she got it, she feels better soon.  And you guys get to relax a little more!
  • commented on your FB too, but wanted to say sorry again. :(

how's she handling it?  have you read anything with regards to her immunity prospects now?  Wonder if the vaccine + actual spots means she has a higher immunity now and possibly not need an eventual booster (beyond the series) if they do find one is necessary.  hmmmm.

That is so annoying that not even the nurse knew the correct info.  I would be really frustrated with THAT!!  

Does your DH have to be in class to complete the assignment? 

• Blech - Lori that sucks! 

I feel for you!  It's a hard place to be in when you feel torn between work and caring for your LO!  I was there last week. 

I hope Libby starts feeling better really soon!

• So sorry to hear this =( I hope she gets and feels better soon! Poor baby =(
    Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • Thanks ladies. We're through the worst of it. From Thursday to Sunday she was barely eating or sleeping for long. I nursed her and she'd sleep 60-90 minutes and then wake. I am not sure if she was in pain, itchy/irritated or what. She had a low-grade fever too, but that is gone now.

Her spots have crusted over and are healing. The scabs look like little pin-spot dots/freckles now. I know where they are, but if your didn't, you probably really wouldn't notice them. Thankfully, she only got one on her face (right under her eye) and I put breastmilk on it and it's healed really quickly. The other spots were all in areas that are covered by her clothing, so she didn't scratch. I don't think she'll have any scars, perhaps just some darker pin spots for a while and maybe they'll fade over time.

We're still staying home with her because we canceled the babysitter I had lined up. She is a friend, I donate BM for her 4-month-old adopted daughter. She SAH with her 4-year-old and the baby and we decided it would be best just to keep Libby away this week. I would have felt awful if the baby got CP from Libby. So, with my mom still OOT J and I are making it work. Thankfully, some other coworkers are out this week, so one of my big meetings was rescheduled to Monday morning. Then I am in Chicago Tues-Sat next week.

imageMauiWedding08:

how's she handling it?  have you read anything with regards to her immunity prospects now?  Wonder if the vaccine + actual spots means she has a higher immunity now and possibly not need an eventual booster (beyond the series) if they do find one is necessary.  hmmmm.

I've not had the opportunity to look into it just yet. But, at this point, I am not really interested in her having the booster. From many things I've read the Varicella vax doesn't always prevent CP, although it enables many to have a milder case (like Libby has had). I guess that's the plus, but she also could have gone her whole life with never having gotten it, KWIM. I have a coworker who's never had CP and she's in her 40's. At this point, I don't know if we'll do the booster or not. I need to read more about it...

imageMauiWedding08:

That is so annoying that not even the nurse knew the correct info.  I would be really frustrated with THAT!!  

Yes, this is really frustrating for us. Especially DH since he was the one at the appointment. We've decide that from now on, we're going to ask to read the insert/paperwork on all shots/medications before their administered (until now, the pedi and/or nurses have just verbally explained them to us).

I am more anti-vax than DH so we've compromised and had Libby on a delayed schedule. Still, there are several ones I think she just shouldn't have. So, we're revisiting this discussion. DH places more trust/faith in Western Medicine than I do.

imageMauiWedding08:

Does your DH have to be in class to complete the assignment? 

He's actually not missing any classes but on Wednesdays he has clincials at a local retirement home. He's done at 1 p.m. and then works from 4-11 p.m. He has a similar schedule on Thursdays. Because his instructor requires their assignment to be turned in at Noon on Fridays it's always really crunchy for him to complete this assignments, even under the best of circumstances (i.e. Libby at the babysitter or with my mom on Friday mornings). It really sucks because there are only two instructors that required Friday deadlines. The rest allow the students to turn the assignments (same amount of work) on Mondays. So a small percentage of his cohorts are getting slammed and have to do the same amount of work in 2 days (and that's not factoring in work, family obligations, sleep, etc.) when everyone else gets 4.5. So, he's doing what he can do...but his teacher gives no partial credit. Either you turn in ALL of the work or get an incomplete.

• that is too bad about the assignment.  Are any of his classmates helpful - I know I always had a few people I could trust to take notes and help out with assignments when needed (not straight on copying, but help in other ways - ID possible shortcuts, etc?)  I'm sure you already brainstormed, but I just can't believe an adult learning friendly class would get away with that.  Would it help to talk to an advisor?  

FYI - all Vaccine Info Statements are online - these are the same that our ped office hands out.  I have had DH look at them before way prior to any appts. to determine our view of any and all vaccines.

https://www.immunize.org/vis/ 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"