Health & Exercise

Training for 5K?

I'm doing my 1st race in April and right now I'm just running on the treadmill with a 2.5 incline.  How much difference will it be when I start to run outside?   

Re: Training for 5K?

• In my opinion, it really depends on the terrain and area that you live in.  Typically I find it harder anytime I start running outside after being on the treadmill for a while, but I also hate running on the treadmill.  I'd try to run outside for at least 2-3 weeks before the race so you can get acclimated. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Like PP said, it depends on your terrain.  I hate hate hate running on a treadmill, but it actually helps me improve.  I run faster outside, probably because I'm so much happier!
  • Loading the player...
  • I always have a hard time going from primarily TM runs to primarily outdoor runs. I'm one of those crazy runners that will run when it is 10 degrees out but because of the giant snow banks and lack of shoulders in the roads, it wasn't safe to run outside here for the past month or so. Now, the snow is finally melting and I am able to get back outside. I definitely had some trouble on my first 2 or 3 runs- even if you put the TM on an incline it can't completely mimic the rolling hills and wind. I would definitely get outside and start training (at least once a week, if you can) just to get the outdoor experience. Add some hills if your 5k course is going to be hilly. Hope this helps! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"