Natural Birth
Options

getting dicouraged

I am getting pretty frustrated so any advice you ladies can give would be greatly appreciated.  I started having regular contractions Wednesday night and went to the hospital but after them checking me twice I went home because no progress was being made. Come to find out after doing an ultrasound LO is posterior and is preventing me from dilating there is still a chance he will turn on his own but because I have already been in early labor for 4 days my Drs may want to intervene. : (
Sarah BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: getting dicouraged

• Options

hands and knees!!  now!!  it is a great position that can encourage babies to move forward.  we call it cat/cow.  the first move is to arch your back up, like a scared cat, and then drop your back low, like a cow.  do these movements slowly for 10-15 mins multiple times a day. 

also, do not sit slouched in a recliner or sofa.  perfect posture!  when you slouch it gives the baby more room to move into a bad position.  if you sit up straight as much as possible, birth balls are good here, it forces your spine straight and therefore the most room for baby is in front. 

i'm not sure if your labor "problems" are just because of baby's position.  i have caught many babies sunny side up, posterior.  stay positive!  maybe it's just not baby's time yet.  hang in there mama, don't let them persuade you to do something you don't want to do. 

do you have a doula??  if you don't and can, i would highly suggest getting one, i know it's late in the game, but would be worth it if you could. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm sorry.  I just wanted to offer that I delivered my son, who was posterior, naturally.  So I am hopeful for you.  So just because your LO is posterior does not necessarily mean you won't be able to dilate.  Maybe your body just isn't ready to kick into high gear yet.  In the meantime, do all the natural remedies to try to kick start things...lots of walking, nipple stim, sex, EPO.  I haven't tried red raspberry leaf tea, but others recommend it.  I'm assuming your water hasn't broken yet, so if drs are doing nst's and baby looks ok, I think you can be armed with info about resisting interventions.

Good Luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

If your water hasn't broken yet, and baby is not in any distress, what reason would there be to intervene aside from your own discomfort? I would ask that, and definitely insist on a NST before any interventions you don't want.

Hang in there momma! Hope LO turns for you/decides to come soon!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Try rocking on hands and knees.  My cousin had this problem, as soon as she did hands and knees, the baby flipped and came out.  Good luck!
  • Options

www.spinningbabies.com

There are excercises on there to help get LO's to turn, as well as to engage in the pelvis and made contractions more productive. GL!

Also try to stay as well rested, nourished, and hydrated as possible. As long as both you and the baby are doing fine, there is no medical reason to intervene.

• Options
    I agree...hands and knees! My labor stalled at 7cm before they all figured it out (grrr). If you have a cushy bean bag or soft pillows try sleeping on your "stomach". I was in an elevated bed so I crossed my arms and rested that way, but you could create that position at home. Basically three hours of being in that position turned my baby and I progressed ready to push.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options

Oh man, I am so sorry. My LO was OP and I labored for 63 hours. Try the suggested positions as PPs said. Unless your water has broken, you still have time. Also, if internals are bringing you down, you may want to reduce them. I only did them when I needed a sanity check or had a change. For me, at 55h into labor (all excruciating back labor) and "on the clock" because my water had broken, we decided that an epidural was our lowest intervention strategy since positions had not helped and my strength was simply giving out and I wanted to have the sanity and strength to push and get LO out vaginally and a c-section was becoming a very real possibility. 8 hours later, I was able deliver LO vaginally--OP-transverse with a hand by his head. For me, it was a case of an epidural being truly medically advantageous and thus a wise choice. My doulas and DH all told me that it was a wise choice, but I still was very emotional for me since it was an intervention. I am in no way saying that you need to be thinking about meds, just sharing my story and letting you know that if you do get to that point that it can still be a low intervention choice. <hugs and progress vibes>

ETA: The dr had me do something similar to the Bradley Side Laying position (internet PIP below)  but laying even more forward, almost on the belly, for as long as I could stand it. This did get LO to move. Unfortunately, he moved from OP to OP-transverse (OP with face to the side) which apparently is  even less desirable.

• Options
    I don't have any good advice for you, but wanted to thank you for sharing. I've been sitting up straighter since I read your OP. (I did wonder about getting into child's pose with some pillows to prop yourself up, but that's pretty similar to some of the previous suggestions.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had regular contractions for days before DS was born they started on Monday evening.  I went to the hospital on Wednesday only to be sent home becasue I was in labor but only at 4cm.  The contractions continued until Saturday when they picked up a little and hurt more.  When I arrived at the hospital was still only 4cm but very stretchy so the MW made me open more then when she broke my water DS head really made me dialate fast.  They didn't realize he was posterior untill he came out.  It was back labor the whole time.  Not saying it was fun but once I started to dialate it went fast but early labor was LONG  There is still hope.  I was swimming when the harder contrations started.....
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• Options

Most posterior babies do turn in labor so don't worry!  And it's not reason for an automatic c-section either. 

Definitely check out spinning babies - hands and knees and some of the inversions are great for getting baby to turn anterior.  Also, if you have a Webster certified chiropractor near you, they can help as well.  

DS was OP during labor but did eventually turn and this baby is also OP but I'm not worried yet. 

It can mean that labor is longer and more difficult but there are positions to help!

image Ethan 12.31.07 Lillian 4.1.11
  • Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement and really great advice ladies! I think your tips may have helped b/c I have stared to dilate, only 2 centimeters but it is still progress and I'm feeling a bit less pressure on my back so I think he may have turned! : )
    Sarah BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagearmybride6510:
    Thanks for all the encouragement and really great advice ladies! I think your tips may have helped b/c I have stared to dilate, only 2 centimeters but it is still progress and I'm feeling a bit less pressure on my back so I think he may have turned! : )

That's awesome!  How are you feeling today?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"