Snarky and T-TTC
Options

If you know someone in IA

Basically, I think Iowa is being really stupid lately.  I was so proud when they legalized gay marriage and not impressed when the state supreme court justices that helped support it were voted out last year.

Now they want to legally define life as starting at conception.  I don't want to argue beliefs on this one but I can't get over the number of individual rights that are threatened.  Obviously I think my embryos should have stuck around to become babies  :P

Anyway, I got an email from RESOLVE yesterday that had a link to a letter you could email if you're against the bill (primarily infertility focused).

So... if you know someone in iowa and want to let them know - go for it :)   

https://secure2.convio.net/res/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=329

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If you know someone in IA

• Options
    UGH that seriously screws up more than I had expected.
  • Options
    You were going to move to be closer to me?!? :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is crazy.  I think they picked this up from CO, though there it was soundly defeated.  I will never understand why people are worried what others are doing with their embryos, I don't see any of them volunteering to carry them to term.  Don't they have any problems that they need to create more for the infertile.
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

The public argument is that this would eliminate/reduce elective abortions. I haven't seen coverage that touches the impact on infertility treatments.  There was one representative that questioned what would happen to availability of birth control that prevents implantation and certain miscarriage circumstances.

It's just the uncertainty of what could happen in the future once the definition is established.

• Options
    imagegidge:
    No, silly! I originally thought this was really only a debate over abortion, but it has serious implications to the infertile who chooses to pursue ART. All of it is absolutely a heated debate, but I am tired of people trying to push around my reproductive rights.
  • Options
    imagegidge:

The public argument is that this would eliminate/reduce elective abortions. I haven't seen coverage that touches the impact on infertility treatments.  There was one representative that questioned what would happen to availability of birth control that prevents implantation and certain miscarriage circumstances.

It's just the uncertainty of what could happen in the future once the definition is established.

So they are trying to bypass Roe v Wade by going so far as giving constitutional rights to embryos?  But you don't even have to uncover all the impacts (to ART, BC), before it becomes obvious how ridic this is.  What's next?  Gun rights for embryos?  In utero free speech/press/right to assemble/vote?  Makes.no.sense.

TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imagekthappy76:
    imagegidge:

So they are trying to bypass Roe v Wade by going so far as giving constitutional rights to embryos?  But you don't even have to uncover all the impacts (to ART, BC), before it becomes obvious how ridic this is.  What's next?  Gun rights for embryos?  In utero free speech/press/right to assemble/vote?  Makes.no.sense.

The sad thing is there are a lot of people who don't see insanity...

• Options

imageSerendipitie:
    imagegidge:
    No, silly! I originally thought this was really only a debate over abortion, but it has serious implications to the infertile who chooses to pursue ART. All of it is absolutely a heated debate, but I am tired of people trying to push around my reproductive rights.

That was just wishful thinking on my part ;)  I'm always so jealous of the GTG's you guys have.

• Options
    imagegidge:

imageSerendipitie:
    imagegidge:

That was just wishful thinking on my part ;)  I'm always so jealous of the GTG's you guys have.

There's only a few of us :) We need to plan a big Vegas GTG sometime though, get all the girls involved
  • Options

imageSerendipitie:
    There's only a few of us :) We need to plan a big Vegas GTG sometime though, get all the girls involved

That would be a ton of fun!

• Options
    Yeah, this was on the CO ballot twice. It was defeated by a large margin both times. Fortunately the vast majority of people realized there were endless ramifications to this "simple one sentence change." The girl who did the debate for them the first time around was such an idiot, she kept saying the same thing over and over. And she couldn't answer when asked about the far reaching ramifications it would have. I believe life begins at conception, but I knew right away, the proposed amendment was a horrible idea. I think most people can see that. I would be very surprised if it passed.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options
    There are really more important things to be focusing time and energy than legislation like this. Granting personhood to embryos does not create jobs, reduce our reliance on foreign oil, or grant us world peace. All these stupid bills should be thrown out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"