Adoption
Options

Vacation Question...

OK kind of a silly question.  But, once you're "active" w/ your agency/attorney and they're trying to find you a match, does that mean you can't leave the area to go on a vacation for fear that you'll get "the call" while you're away? 

TTC in 2008. Stage II/III endo, Hashimotos hypothyroid, low morph (3%).
2 cycles Clomid/Ovidrel/TI/Crinone=BFN.
IUI #1 - 4 Follistim/Ovidrel/IUI/Crinone = BFN.
IVF #1 - Antagonist w/ ICSI 4/10. 17 retrieved, 5DT of 2, BFN :(
IVF #2 - Long Lupron w/ ICSI 6/10. 15 retrieved, 3DT of 2, BFFN!!
Lap 7/21/10
IVF #3 - Clomid/Antagonist w/ ICSI 10/10. 14 retreived, 3DT of 3, BFP 10/20 but m/c. No HB 11/15/10 - D&C 11/17/10.
FET - 2 blasts, 1 survived the thaw. Transfer 2/19. Beta #1 3/1 375, Beta #2 3/3 885, Beta #3 3/8 4261, Beta #4 3/11 9005. U/S 3/8 1 sac 1 yolk, U/S 3/16 1 heartbeat 114bpm!

James born Oct. 24th 2011 via c-section at 38 weeks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP - Jack born April 28, 2013 via VBAC after PTL at 33 1/2 weeks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Vacation Question...

• Options
    No. We decided not to put our lives on hold during our active period. We don't do major trips, but we may have scaled back to more local destinations (vs going to Europe, for example).
  • Options
    I agree, I wouldn't put my life on hold (like we didn't do enough of that with IF right?) and would not go on any international travel. I wouldn't hesitate to go wherever I had cell access though (except overseas). Somewhere that it's a relatively quick plane ride or at least easy to get a quick ticket.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageAuburnBride06:
    I agree, I wouldn't put my life on hold (like we didn't do enough of that with IF right?) and would not go on any international travel. I wouldn't hesitate to go wherever I had cell access though (except overseas). Somewhere that it's a relatively quick plane ride or at least easy to get a quick ticket.

This.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Moved to Domestic Adoption 9/09 Matched 10/09 Sweet little Luke was born 12/9/09!
  • Options

My husband and I still traveled, and even went internationally.  Granted, our process was a little more predictable, but we did go to Tibet after we were fully approved and while we were waiting for a referral.

These days, with technology, there's no reason not to!  Our voice mails get forwarded to our cell phones, and our agency often e-mails us, which we also forward to our phones, so why not?

Go, enjoy and live life to it's fullest, or you will get even more depressed with the wait.  I know it sounds cliche, but after your baby comes to you, you will miss the freedom to just go away whenever you want. (Only summer vacations possible now, WAAAHHH!  No quick Spring skiing trips, Double WAAAHHH!!!!)

• Options
    Travel money is how we funded our adoption but we still did small things. Just let your SW know and go. Waiting is hard.
  • Options

I agree with pp. Don't put your life on hold. Enjoy it! With that being said, we took some smaller weekend trips and a week long trip that was within a few hours driving distance home. As long as your agency knows you are heading out of town, they always had the numbers to where we were staying should something happen.

If you fly, just get insurance.

• Options
    imageLadyRed7:

This is great advice, but be sure to read/research the policy before you buy.  I found a lot of them are very restrictive about when they'll pay for a cancellation/early termination of the trip.

• Options
    imageCaptainSerious:
    imageLadyRed7:

This is great advice, but be sure to read/research the policy before you buy.  I found a lot of them are very restrictive about when they'll pay for a cancellation/early termination of the trip.

Oh really? What if you are "sick"?  

• Options
    I think you need proof from a doctor.  We bought insurance for a few of our trips (for reasons other than the adoption), and to be honest, the policies that would really cover you are pretty expensive.  I don't know if it's worth it in a lot of cases.  Sometimes, it might just be better to get refundable/exchangeable flight tickets and work something out with the hotels (like future credits) if you have to cancel.
  • Options

imageCaptainSerious:
    I think you need proof from a doctor.  We bought insurance for a few of our trips (for reasons other than the adoption), and to be honest, the policies that would really cover you are pretty expensive.  I don't know if it's worth it in a lot of cases.  Sometimes, it might just be better to get refundable/exchangeable flight tickets and work something out with the hotels (like future credits) if you have to cancel.

Wow! I had no idea it was that tricky. 

• Options

We had planned a vacation when we were matched with our first Birth Mother and she wanted to meet us the week of our vacation.  We were able to get a refund on this one. 

When the call came about Ben who was already born and we were to be at the hospital the next day, we had already planned a vacation for 3 weeks later.  We didn't want to take a 3 week old to the beach so we didn't go.  We were out all our money with this trip, but guess what we didn't care a bit.  Also, we were planning to go to the Atlanta Braves game the very night we got the call and instead drove 12 hours to meet Ben.   We were out a lot of money but I think we got the better end of the deal.

This being said..I would go ahead and live my life.  When it happens, it'll happen and everything will work out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"