Maryland Babies

Claritin safe?

Pre-pregnancy I had a nasty cat allergy which Claritin helped relieve. Well, to make a long story short, DH and I are staying with my BIL in NJ next weekend who has 2 very fluffy kitties. I know I can take benedryl but it knocks me out. Is my Claritin okay to take?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Claritin safe?

• According to what I recall from pregnancy and double-checking against safefetus.com, it is - https://safefetus.com/DrugDetail.asp?DrugId=206&TradeName=Claritin&TradeId=3731

I think the important part is that it is JUST Claritin, not Claritin-D.

I will say, though, that ANY time I had questions about medications, I asked my OB, which is what I would recommend you do, too - I always felt that I couldn't be TOO safe when it came to potentially causing harm to my baby.  I only called two or three times, but each time I did, it was always a nurse who was able to answer my question, so it really wasn't a big deal.

• I hear so many conflicting things, even from what people's doctors and midwives have said, I sometimes don't know what to do! I know its best to avoid the triggers but that isn't an option.
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely take your Dr's advice, but mine said it was totally fine. I only take it when absolutely necessary (as with all meds right now).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Someone's getting a little brother!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You can ask the pharmacist too.

I had a bad allergy attack when I was really, really early in my PG - hadn't even been to the doctor yet, etc.  I think I was 4 weeks.  I don't remember what the doctor told me (ha!) but I do remember she was very reassuring and clear about what I could and couldn't take for allergies.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • zrytec is safe during pregnancy. I have bad seasonal allergies and got pregnant during my most allergic times and my last OB and my current midwife said it was okay to use during both pregnancies. I would of course call to double check, they might have deemed it necessary for me because I have been on allergy meds since I was 4, I can't function without drugs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I asked my doctor and my ob and both said it was fine. clartin/zytec and allegra are all catagory "B" from what ive been told. B is safe but if you dont need it avoid it....

with cats....i need it, if i dont take it i wheez and thats worse fo the baby

DS  Desmond Alexander 6.9.11

DD  Vivienne Elena   12.16.13

? EDD 3/29/2018

• Allegra is not safe. I don't have a link. but I have a friend who took it for years, and was advised against it during her last pregnancy. Her doctor told her to take claritin instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"