Birth Stories
Options

Chase's birth story (from 3 months ago)

So I have never gotten around to actually writing my second son's birth story.  So i'm going to attempt to do it now, while i'm working late...(I know, i'm not really working, i'm bumping instead)!!!!  :-) This was my second pregnancy and I was due on 11/24/10.  Everyone, including my OB, kept telling me that there was no way I was going to make it until my due date.  I happened to agree with them.  I was huge.  Granted, I only gained a total of 35 lbs. throughout the whole pregnancy, but I FELT huge.  Anyways, on the night of 11/11 I started having some contractions.  Nothing major and painful, but enough to make me say - whoa, that was not a normal cramp.  I continued about my business, laid down on the couch for a little while and then ended up going to sleep.  about 3 AM I woke up to extremely sharp pain in my back and another contraction.  I immediately woke up my DH and said, "I think this may be happening."  I have never seen him jump out of bed so quickly.  *Side note: our first son was a scheduled induction.*  Anyways, he started making sure that all the bags were packed with everything we needed and my contractions continued to happen, about 6-7 minutes apart.  Slowly, but surely, they started to fade, down to 8-10 minutes apart and then maybe every 20 minutes or so.  Apparently, he was just teasing us and was practicing.  I was supposed to go to work the next day, 11/12, however I was still extremely uncomfortable and had a lot of back pain, so I called out.  I stayed home and rested all day.  I didn't really do much of anything except lay in bed and watch movies.  It was a nice day at home.  And I figured it would probably be one of my last for a while (and boy was I right)!!! Friday night seemed to be ok, a few contractions here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary.  I had seen my OB on Wednesday (11/10) and he told me that I was just about 3 cm dilated and he would be surprised if i made it to my next appointment on 11/17.  And boy, was he right (as always)!! On Saturday, 11/13 I started having contractions around 5 that were about 4-5 minutes apart and very strong.  I told my husband that if they continued to stay at 4-5 minutes apart for the next 45 minutes, than we were heading to the hospital (our hospital was almost 40 minutes away from home).  Well, wouldn't you know - they continued, and got stronger.  So we packed everything up, and headed to the hospital.  I called my grandmother on the way there and asked her to meet us there because she was going to take DS #1 and keep him for a few days while we were at the hospital.   I get to the hospital at around 7 pm.  I get checked in, fill out some paperwork and by the time they went to check me at 7:45 I was already 5 cm dilated.  Progress!!!  They immediately had me go to my delivery room, which I chose to walk to instead of being wheeled, and that's when my grandmother showed up.  She took DS #1 and told us to call her and keep her posted.  I got into my room, they hooked up the IV and just let me chill out.  My plan was to do everything naturally again.  No drugs, no epidural, nothing.  Well, around 9-9:30 - the contractions were getting a bit stronger.  They were a consistent 3-4 mintues apart, but still bearable.  My OB came in at 10 pm, checked me and I was 8 cm dilated.  YAY, we're getting there.  However, my water hadn't broke.  So, he broke my water for me.  Wasn't that weird.  I felt like I was pee'ing all over him.  I even  said that to him.  Then jokingly he goes, "well, why don't you stop them.  I really don't like to be pee'd on."  LOL! So after he breaks my water, the contractions start getting harder and harder, and more painful.  My back was killing me!!  The nurse had me turn around on the bed up on my knees and lean against it, so that i was kind of on all fours.  With every contraction I had, she pushed hard against the bottom of my spine and my pelvic bone.  That relieved a lot of the pain and the pressure, but I was still almost in tears.  I really wanted to get the epidural to get rid of the pain, but I knew that I could do it without it.  I had my first one without the epidural and he was 8 lbs. 4 oz. and 19 inches long.  I CAN DO THIS, i kept telling myself. My DH kept saying that to me as well, His favorite phrase was, "you're doing great baby, hang in there.  Our little man is almost here!"  He kept saying it over and over again.  And as much as I wanted to yell at him and tell him to "hang in there," I knew he was right.  I could do it, and I would. My OB came back in around 12:00 and checked me and I was fully dilated.   Time to push!!  Holy crap, this is actually happening!  Except, i didn't really feel the need to push.  I kept contracting, and kept trying to breathe through every single one of them.  Finally, the urge to push came.  I told my nurse (although i'm sure it was more o a grunt) because as I was telling her that I was ready to push, I did.  I couldn't control it, or stop it.  I just started pushing.  The OB wheeled himself over, the nurses started getting everything set up for the arrival of the baby, my wonderful nurse Patty grabbed one leg, and my wonderful DH grabbed the other leg.  I was so tired from getting through the contractions that I didn't have the strength to hold up my own legs. So I started pushing at exactly 1:00 am.  I only had to go through 3 pushes.  3 very painful pushes.  But then, at 1:06 am on 11/14/10, our son Chase Alexzander Stevens was born; weighing in at 9 lbs. 3 oz. and 20 1/4 inches long. He was here!  I couldn't believe it!  We finally had our little boy. Now, remember when I said that he was due on 11/24?  Yah, he was 10 days early and just over 9 lbs.  Can you imagine how big he would have been if he was on time, or even late?  YIKES!!! Anyways, I just wanted to share my birth story.  For all you mom's out there that are afraid of natural child birth - don't be.  Giving birth naturally to my two beautiful son's are the most memorable moments of my entire life.  And I wouldn't change any of it.  Here is a picture of my little man minutes after he was born.  image
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Chase's birth story (from 3 months ago)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"