Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Best carrier for bigger baby?

We just made arrangements to take a week long vacation at the end of May that likely will involve a good amount of light hiking.  DS is currently 8 mos, but he's a big boy - already easily topping the 20 lb and 30 in marks.  I have LOVED carrying him in both the Moby as a small baby and the Bjorn Synergy more recently, but he has quickly outgrown those devices.  What should I get now?  What would be the best thing for when he's around 11 mos?  A bigger Bjorn?  A backpack? 

Re: Best carrier for bigger baby?

• Options
    A boba or babyhawk oh snap are both buckle carriers and designed for bigger babies/ toddlers. I would highly suggest one of those. I'm betting a lot of people will say an ergo because it's popular but honestly for a bigger baby that will only continue to grow the ergo has one of the shortest backs out of buckle carriers. That means not as much support on their back and they can lean which isn't dangerous but it does start to hurt your back because it's pulling your center of gravity. Here is a great page on comparing and helping choose a buckle carrier which we hike in and love also that website is a good place to purchase and she usually has some on clearance. https://www.frogmama.com/pages/choosingbucklecarriers.php
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We love our ergo for bigger babies.  If you're going to do a lot of hiking, you might look at a framed backback, but I don't have one of those so I can't say too much about it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    For hiking I would definitely use my Ergo.  My maya ring sling is not comfortable for long day trips. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageguppysown@yahoo.com:

We love our ergo for bigger babies.  If you're going to do a lot of hiking, you might look at a framed backback, but I don't have one of those so I can't say too much about it.

This exactly :) 

• Options
    We LOVE our Boba, I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    imageAlyssa102:
    We LOVE our Boba, I highly recommend it.
    I want one so bad!
  • Options
    I have a Beco and I love it.  I think it is good for up to 45 lbs.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options

I used an Ergo with my DD regularly until she was 3 and occasionally until she was 4.  She was a "well behaved" rider and didn't lean out much.

I just got a Boba and it is clearly bigger and works well for my big DS (10 months ~26 lbs).

If you need to really carry cargo, I'd recommend a Deuter framed pack.

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • Options

imageKRMac:
    I have a Beco and I love it.  I think it is good for up to 45 lbs.  

This!  I have the Beco Butterfly II which allows from front carry (child facing you) or back carry.  DS loves back carry.  This carrier offers a higher weight limit than their other model- the Gemini.  A lot of people like the Gemini because you can also carry the baby front facing- baby facing out and hip carry.  I believe the Gemini is less "structured" than the butterfly. 

Also, fwiw, DS is 21.5 lbs and 30 inches.  He's very comfortable in it, has lots of room to grow, and it barely feels like I'm carrying anything.

• Options
    I love my beco
  • Options
    We have the Evenflo Trailblazer backpack, it holds up to 45 pounds. DH likes it because it looks more manly than the wraps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"