3rd Trimester
Options

Does anyone else NOT pee in a cup?

2»

Re: Does anyone else NOT pee in a cup?

• Options

This is my second pregnancy and I have only had to pee in the cup at my first visit with both.  I think once I did when I was sick, but that was to run a test for something, not normal pregnancy stuff.

I am not too concerned by it, but both my pregnancies have been very low risk.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageScout05:

My OB does test each time, and they did find a potentially big issue I wasn't showing symptoms of. I can't make that not the case because it doesn't agree with your argument in this thread, and I was simply responding to your statement about not showing symptoms meaning there is no larger issue going on.  For me, in my case, that wasn't true.

Or you would have had symptoms very soon anyway and received appropriate treatment. I haven't had a UTI while pregnant, but I have had them. Not testing routinely does not mean not ever testing.

There are different categories of "normal care", and I'm glad to be in one that doesn't treat my pregnancy as a disease. Excessive testing, scans, monitors... you find what you look for. And you end up with a 30% c-section rate in the end.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagetokenhoser:
    imageScout05:

My OB does test each time, and they did find a potentially big issue I wasn't showing symptoms of. I can't make that not the case because it doesn't agree with your argument in this thread, and I was simply responding to your statement about not showing symptoms meaning there is no larger issue going on.  For me, in my case, that wasn't true.

Or you would have had symptoms very soon anyway and received appropriate treatment. I haven't had a UTI while pregnant, but I have had them. Not testing routinely does not mean not ever testing.

There are different categories of "normal care", and I'm glad to be in one that doesn't treat my pregnancy as a disease. Excessive testing, scans, monitors... you find what you look for. And you end up with a 30% c-section rate in the end.

No pregnancy is not a disease, and I'm with you on excessive scans & monitoring unless needed, but peeing in a cup is not excessive testing. It's not invasive. You aren't scanning anything in your body. There is ZERO risk to you to have it done. You need to relieve yourself anyway, right? Why not test it? It would be different if the testing was in any way harmful, then the cost may not be worth the risk if you weren't having symptoms, but this is different.

And most UTI's show no symptoms while pregnant. I had one too while PG and would have never known it. Why would it be better to leave an infection untreated?

Also the statement that being symptom free means nothing is wrong is just faulty logic. Many TREATABLE chronic conditions can be cured with early intervention... pregnancy or non-pregnancy related.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

VOTE on my Name List

• Options

imagetolicakes:
    Based on your siggy I assume you have Tricare.  I do too, and I am seen at an MTF.  I can't tell you the last time I PIAC or POAS.

Yes I do have Tricare and am seen on an MTF.  I thought that might be a factor, but was curious to see who else out in the civilian world experienced the same. 

BTW - I was not trying to start any sort of debate with this topic.  Thanks for those of you who responded to my random curiousity.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Graphics
  • Options
    It's routine at my hospital to pee every time, I also have to pee and check at home... hyperemesis :[
  • Options

I switched OBs at 20 weeks, and both check urine every time.  1st OB had me pee in a cup.  2nd OB gave me a cup to bring to my next appointment; they wanted very first thing am pee.  What they didn't tell me was that she was going to test the pee, then rinse the cup out and hand it back to me.

EW EW EW used pee cup!

Nathaniel David 3/22/11 #2 due 12/16/12
  • Options

My ob does something similar, but instead of a cup I have to pour it into a vial and take it to my appointment. They gave me like 8 vials and disposible cups at my first appointment and then I bring in the vial. Luckily they throw away the vial after they test it lol.

• Options

imagetolicakes:
    Based on your siggy I assume you have Tricare.  I do too, and I am seen at an MTF.  I can't tell you the last time I PIAC or POAS.

I have Tricare as well, being seen at an MTF. It may just be military policy doesnt have pregnant ladies PIAC because we dont here either - and where I am, there is a very high rate of premature births and high rick pregnancies.

• Options
    Every visit I have had, whether it was my pernatologist, the ob gyn or a nurse visit I have peed in a cup.  I have had 7 appts and I am 17 weeks pregnant.  I go again in 2 weeks for a check up and then 2 weeks after that I go for an ultrasound (so for sure in 2 weeks I will, but not sure about the ultrasound day, but wouldn't be surprised if they have me pee in a cup.) 
  • Options
    i have too everytime.  I don't care.  My bladder fells like i have to pee all the time now.
  • Options
    imagetokenhoser:
    imageScout05:

I get what you're saying, Token and I generally agree with you.  Overtesting in the US medical system is a big issue, not just in obstetrics.  Yes there's the argument "well if you find something wrong, isn't that good?"  Well no, it's not always good.  The more you test people, the more you pathologize the normal and healthy functions of the body.  And even when there is something wrong, treatment isn't always the best course.  Tests and treatments themselves introduce risk and they don't always improve outcomes.  A balance between overtesting and undertesting leads to the best outcomes, but it can be hard to know what that balance is.

That said, my OB is generally very low key about testing and he prefers low-intervention care and has very low c/s rates.  But he does check my pee every time.  Maybe I'll ask him about it at my next appointment.   And FWIW he bills me a flat rate for care, not based on procedure--but I'm sure the cost of everything was factored into the flat rate.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"