Single Parents
Options

I'm going for it!

Thanks ladies for all your advice last week about the edu grants. I have decided that I'll be going back to school in the fall. I was able to work out a plan with my parents to help with the kids a couple nights a week so I can do half online and half in class work.

Ultimately I want to get my DMS but I have to start with my AS in nursing then get my RN just to qualify for the DMS program (diagnostic medical sonography, ultrasound). It's going to be a long journey and a lot of work but I'm really excited. This is the first thing I've done for me in a long, long time and the best part is, in the end it benefits me and my kids.

I'll be able to qualify for enough grants to make it worth it. And I'm so thankful for my amazing parents who help me out with the kids. Even STBXH is as supportive as is possible for him. Having a good day for the first time in a wihle. : )

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: I'm going for it!

• Options

That sounds like a run around - for that degree. My mom does Sonography and she just has a 2 year AS degree. I'm pretty sure shes a DMS. Unless you REALLY want to do the nursing stuff you might want to double check your path. 

ETA: Congrats! and all the best luck to you! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    I know it's a lot but in my area there are no other DMS programs. I have several friends and family member in similar fields so I reached out to them as well as doing my own research and talking to councelors to make sure I wasn't missing an internal program somewhere. I don't mind traveling a bit but my whole support system is here so I can't really move right now. This was the only program I could find but it has a pre-req that you must have a certain number of GE credits as well as a 2 year allied health program under your belt such as RN, X-Ray tech etc. So I figured getting the RN first just opens up more opportunities for me. I hope to eventually get the DMS but if I have the other credentials as well all the better, (hopefully) : )
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good for you!  Congrats on beginning on your new path.
  • Options
    I'm agreeing with PP, you don't have to get an RN.  RN is more than 2 years usually unless you are in an accelerated program.  Are you thinking of an LPN?  This is a 2 year degree.  Good luck!
  • Options

I'm going to get the AS in LVR-RN program. I'll check after that's completed if that will qualify me for the DMS program at that time. If it does great, but if not I'm not concerned with the extra work. I really do apreciate the imput though, thanks! Either way I'l have to do it at a slow pace at first because I'm a SAHM so it will be night school and online classes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"