Houston Babies

Recommendations for a great inner loop pediatrician?

After two failed appointments with different pediatricians (One was at a Texas Children's Practice on Fannin and the other was Bee Well Pediatrics), I am starting to get REALLY frustrated about finding one for my daughter who is due in May. These are some of the things that I am looking for in an office:

1. I don't want a huge network type practice like Texas Children's or Kelsey-Seybold.

2. The staff has to be efficient and friendly (well at least polite!).

3. For the most part, runs on time.

4. Needs to be as close to the inner loop as possible.

5. Splits up well and sick children into separate waiting rooms.

6. The doctor needs to have experience, but not going to retire in the next 18 years.

Any recommendations would be awesome!!! Thanks!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Recommendations for a great inner loop pediatrician?

• I know you say you don't want a TCPA practice, but I love our pediatrician Dr. Michelle Shuman. It is a small TCPA practice with only two doctors. One is probably closer to retirement, but Dr. Shuman is not much older than I am. 

They are a small office so do not have separate waiting rooms, but I have never been in there when it's packed, so it's usually pretty obvious to tell who isn't feeling well.  They do have a separate waiting area for newborns though.

The staff is very nice, I have been able to get last minute appointments. There are two nurses who do nothing but answer phones to answer questions and schedule appointments, and I have never had to wait very long to see the doctor. 

They are located just outside of 610, exit the campbell exit and make a u-turn. I got in to see Dr. Shuman less than 6 weeks before my due date, and really only called to set up things so she could see my baby at the hospital, not expecting them to be able to fit me in, but they did. 

• Thanks so much! I will give her office a call!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemelrrr:

I know you say you don't want a TCPA practice, but I love our pediatrician Dr. Michelle Shuman. It is a small TCPA practice with only two doctors. One is probably closer to retirement, but Dr. Shuman is not much older than I am. 

They are a small office so do not have separate waiting rooms, but I have never been in there when it's packed, so it's usually pretty obvious to tell who isn't feeling well.  They do have a separate waiting area for newborns though.

The staff is very nice, I have been able to get last minute appointments. There are two nurses who do nothing but answer phones to answer questions and schedule appointments, and I have never had to wait very long to see the doctor. 

They are located just outside of 610, exit the campbell exit and make a u-turn. I got in to see Dr. Shuman less than 6 weeks before my due date, and really only called to set up things so she could see my baby at the hospital, not expecting them to be able to fit me in, but they did. 

This! She is the best. We had another pediatrician before (large practice, always running late)

Dr. Shuman is the sweetest doctor you'll ever meet. She talks to the baby (not to you) because the baby IS her patient. She doesn't mind spending long time with each patient. The practice is small and very well run.  

They do not have separate areas for sick and well children though. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I like Dr. Bambi Hoefner on W. Alabama near Buffalo Spdwy.

1. I don't want a huge network type practice like Texas Children's or Kelsey-Seybold.She is independent. 2. The staff has to be efficient and friendly (well at least polite!).Her staff is polite and nice.3. For the most part, runs on time.Runs pretty much on time. 4. Needs to be as close to the inner loop as possible.The location has been easy to get to from downtown, W. University, the Heights, and Med Center quickly. 5. Splits up well and sick children into separate waiting rooms.She does not do this; however, they make an attempt to get you into an exam room quickly. I suspect (based on experience) this movement goes quickly when she feels there is cause to get your sick kid out of the general area. 

6. The doctor needs to have experience, but not going to retire in the next 18 years. 

She is around late 40s, early 50s from what I can tell. I assume she'll be around for awhile.

-- Maybe interview her and see what you think. There are a lot of good choices around town; I'm sure you'll find your fit. 

• I am definitely an inner loop girl, but I chose to go with Dr. Lee at Great Kids Pediatrics, which is by Memorial City Mall. The inner loop requirement is the only one of yours she doesn't meet. I'm also due in May, and I was seen right on time for my initial visit with her, which I totally wasn't expecting! There are a few doctors in the practice, 24 hour doctor/nurse line, and she told me to call anytime I had any questions prior to delivery that she can help with.
  • OH! Sick and well waiting and exam rooms are split up, and you do not walk through the "sick" area of the practice at all if you are there for a well baby visit. I  know no place is 100% germ free, but they do a good job of keeping them as far away as they can.
  • Wow!! Thank you for all of the suggestions ladies!!! I am going to make appointments with all of these doctors and hopefully one will fit the "glass slipper" for my little princess!! :)
  • imagepook:
    I am definitely an inner loop girl, but I chose to go with Dr. Lee at Great Kids Pediatrics, which is by Memorial City Mall. The inner loop requirement is the only one of yours she doesn't meet. I'm also due in May, and I was seen right on time for my initial visit with her, which I totally wasn't expecting! There are a few doctors in the practice, 24 hour doctor/nurse line, and she told me to call anytime I had any questions prior to delivery that she can help with.

DS goes to Dr. Crane at this practice and we have been very happy with it.  The doctor has called our house personally the next day after we have been there to make sure DS was ok...I thought this was great!

• My kids saw Dr. Debbie Bootin, with Bootin & Savrick.  They're located on Fannin, just next to Woman's Hospital. It's not a small practice, but it's not mammoth either.  They have about 6 doctors, but some only office there part-time.  Dr. Bootin has been practicing for 25 years, so I'm not sure how long she'll still be practicing.  She's so good with the kids (I'm surprised sometimes by pediatricians who don't really seem to like kids!), she's got a very calm demeanor, but she's got a great sense of humor.  She was always very respectful of our opinions as parents, but was firm when it was necessary. She's just awesome.  I miss her.  The other doctors in the practice all seemed to be good doctors as well, when I'd need to see them for a sick visit when Bootin was unavailable.

Her front desk staff is quite bland and one woman seemed as though she couldn't care less about anything, but the billing staff and nurses are great.  Always get a fast call back from the nurses after hours.

They do have separate well and sick children areas. 

They have late hours, as well as Saturday morning hours (although I don't think Dr. Bootin herself does Saturdays).

Now for the downsides:

1.  The parking garage SUCKS.  It's a small garage next to the building, and you have to go up at least to the 3rd level for visitors' parking.  The driveways are narrow, the turns are sharp (you constantly hear tires screeching), and the spaces are narrow.  Not fun when you're trying to get an infant seat out of a car.  Oh, and they only take cash payment.    

2.  And this one may be the nail in the coffin for you, but the wait time can be crazy.  If I made appointments for first thing in the morning, or for right after lunch, it wasn't so bad, but otherwise, I rarely ever waited less than 15 minutes past my appointment time; usually closer to 30 to 40.  The wait seemed to be worse  when I've seen a doctor other than Bootin though.  However, the upside is that I never felt rushed during our appointments.  She always took her time with us.  As annoying as it could be though, I never even thought of switching practices.  Ultimately, it was about the level of care my kids received, and the level of communication and respect I received as a parent.  

• Another nod for Dr Shuman. I switched pediatricians when DS#1 was around 6 mos old. I was at the big practice on Greenbriar that so many people love. It was not a good fit for me and I have been so happy with Dr Shuman. Her nurses are not overly gushy but they are pleasant and good at their jobs. The office is run by Dr Thaller's wife and it reminds me so much of the old school practices I grew up with.

The one thing that I really love about Dr Shuman that hasn't been said already is that she really understands the line between parenting decisions and medical advice. This was a big issue with my 1st pedi, who seemed to think how she raised her kids was how I was supposed to raise mine, no matter how I felt about it. 

• imagereadyforbaby:

imagepook:
    I am definitely an inner loop girl, but I chose to go with Dr. Lee at Great Kids Pediatrics, which is by Memorial City Mall. The inner loop requirement is the only one of yours she doesn't meet. I'm also due in May, and I was seen right on time for my initial visit with her, which I totally wasn't expecting! There are a few doctors in the practice, 24 hour doctor/nurse line, and she told me to call anytime I had any questions prior to delivery that she can help with.

DS goes to Dr. Crane at this practice and we have been very happy with it.  The doctor has called our house personally the next day after we have been there to make sure DS was ok...I thought this was great!

That is great to hear! I loved Dr. Lee. She has two LOs (age 2 and 3) and was just great with all my probably a little silly questions.

• We use Dr. Wolens with VIP Pediatrics--he is in solo practice but has a nurse practicioner and has an on-call group for weekends (though I think he has told me he sometimes comes in on Saturdays for sick visits when necessary).  He actually fits all of your requirements.  I have never waited longer than 5 minutes for any appt, even a last-minute sick visit, which I've always gotten within a couple hours of when I call.  Parking is free--it's behind the Kelsey-Seybold clinic near Bellaire Blvd/Kirby. I love the office staff.  He was in the TCPA practices before going out on his own--lots of experience but has a young daughter, so no retiring any time soon.
  • Dr. Jeff Wolens is awesome. He is located on Brompton, right off of Holcombe. Staff is very friendly and efficient. They know who you are as soon as you walk in, makes you feel special.  Little to no wait time. Separate waiting rooms for well and sick kids. Office is VERY clean and kid friendly. It is very easy to get an appointment. Also, he seems like a younger guy so I don't think he'll be retiring anytime soon. Good luck to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"