Nurseries and Baby Gear

IKEA cribs + mattress question

Anyone out there get an IKEA crib?  We're considering one, but I'm confused as to how to handle the mattress.  Their crib mattresses measure 27 1/2" x 52", but from what I understand, standard mattresses (and sheets) are 28" x 52".  I'm not a big fan of the IKEA textiles, so I'd like to get standard sheets.

Can standard mattresses fit in an IKEA crib?  Are there gaps/bulges that are of concern safety-wise?  Or is it better to get an IKEA mattress and use standard sheets on it (will the 1/2 inch difference in width cause the sheet to gather too much)?

TIA!

Runaway Bride - Catch me if you can!
photo by Scott Metzger
kikijbird ~ Erica (aka Kiki) & Paul ~ 24 April 2010
The JBirds Bio ~ Updated 03.02.10 - Invites!

Anniversary

Re: IKEA cribs + mattress question

• I have a Graco crib and Ikea mattress. I also just use regular Carter's sheets. I honestly didn't think twice about a 1/2 inch difference. My sheets aren't tight, but fit perfectly fine.
    DSC_0330editedimage
    The two men in my life. Oh, and I have a husband too...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We were not satisfied with how regular mattress fit into our ikea crib and bought an ikea mattress, which are going to return since its so thin and not nearly as  firm as I wanted. After a few recs on here, we ordered a Sealy mattress as several people said they fit really well. Its not here yet, so I can't really tell you, but I am hopeful about it. it has been a long and frustrating process. I find Ikea cribs themselves  are great, but are a funny size and thier mattresses are terrible.
  • Loading the player...
  • We got a Gulliver Crib and a Colgate Classica III mattress and use standard crib sheets from Land of Nod.  Everything fits perfectly with no gaps.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have an Ikea crib (Levinsk?) and have no issues at all with gaps. I bought the Sealy Soybean Core Foam mattress and have various sheets and a mattress pad. Everything fits outstanding.

I was worried about a standard mattress as I heard girls complain about it, but ours is nice and snug.

IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Okay thanks all of you.  I'm glad to know that standard mattresses do fit (for the most part)!

Runaway Bride - Catch me if you can!
    photo by Scott Metzger
    kikijbird ~ Erica (aka Kiki) & Paul ~ 24 April 2010
    The JBirds Bio ~ Updated 03.02.10 - Invites!

Anniversary

• I was having a hard time with this too.  I just measured the inside of the crib and checked the dimensions before ordering.  We got the Colgate Classica I and it fits perfectly in the Ikea crib. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"