1st Trimester
Options

HCG Levels-ectopic pregnancy

This is my 2nd day on thebump.com. Had to do IVF, I am 5 weeks, 1 day pregnant. I went in for blood work today, my HCG level was 449, suppose to be 1064. Nurse suggested ectopic pregnancy. Devastation has started. Will not know anything more for 1 week when I go in for 6 week blood work and ultrasound. Has anyone had low levels like this, and it did NOT end in an ectopic pregnancy?  Nurse said sometimes numbers are low and then increase...but she did not sound very hopeful. Thoughts?

Re: HCG Levels-ectopic pregnancy

• Options
    I am so sorry :( I don't know anything about HCG levels because I havent had my first apt yet, but hang in there. Wishing you the best.
  • Options
    nothing to do with ectopic - but last pregnancy i spotted and i went in - also prob around 5-6 weeks. They took blood... The nurse said to me "well at least you know you could get pregnant, for next time" Ill never forget that! she made me a wreck... PS - all wound up being JUST FINE. i wanted to strangle her after :) Hope all turns out positive for you too!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

She is wrong and you should complain to the office manager about her. And if they are so concerned about your levels, then they need you to come back in 48 hours to see if they have risen. That is the true indicator. My levels at 4w5d was 531. 2 days later it was over 1000.  Don't lose hope.

BTW. normal HCG levels for 5 weeks are anywhere from 19 - 7,340.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    How do you know what your levels are supposed to be? Did you have a first draw and what was the number? If the number didn't double in 48 - 72 hours then you have something to worry about. Any I wonder why in the world she would even mention ectopic verses the baby just not developing properly?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

You might want to check out Pregnant after IF board. They might be more beneficial to you, since you did IVF. That said, I find it odd that your nurse said beta should have been 1064. I've done 2 IVFs and 2 FETs and and know that beta levels can vary SO widely. I'm unclear how she had a certain number in mind? Was this your first beta?

GL!

• Options

What do you mean the levels were supposed to be 1064? Do you mean you had a blood test 48 hours prior to that one, too? Did you have two blood tests for HCG levels? What were the two levels? Lots of women have HCG levels which do not double in 48 hours and have gone on to have healthy babies. Lots of forums on which women have talked about this.

I had an ectopic pregnancy as a result of an IVF procedure- yup, I was "struck by lightning" as my doctor said. My HCG levels were good, 700 and then 1300 48 hrs later. It was only at 6 weeks that I had cramping in my uterus. I went to the clinic and they could not find anything in the uterus during the ultrasound, that is how they knew it was an ectopic. In your case, just because your level is low, she cannot come to this conclusion. The clinic needs to do more investigation before the scare you like this. In my case, they saw the embryo in the tube in the u/s. I dont think the nurse has sufficient information to make this sort of a judgement. It may be worrying (I have to be honest with you) but it is not conclusive (ie the ectopic) have your doctor look into it. Good luck- if it is caught early (if it is an ectopic, god forbid, you are lucky, bec it means you can have it medically managed vs a laparoscopy- this is what the doctor told me- it's not my opinion). I hope you have a healthy pregnancy and none of this applies to you. xx

Had an ectopic loss. Pregnant again- a miracle from God :) Lost baby at 8 weeks 3 days (March 12, 2011)- missed miscarriage. Feel it could be bec of the methotrexate shots in November, was too soon to conceive a healthy baby.
  • Options
    my coworker had hers dawn and it was 105, she freaked out, and they did it again 48 hours later and it was over 3000
  • Options

imageLovieBear:
    my coworker had hers dawn and it was 105, she freaked out, and they did it again 48 hours later and it was over 3000

105 is a great first number. Mine was 26. It is the doubling that counts. 

• Options
    I was told by my doctor and nurse that as long as the numbers steadily rise is what matters. My numbers only doubled about once, then climbed steadily over the weeks and I'm about to begin my second trimester! I would say as long as your numbers keep climbing you are good to go!
  • Options
    And they can definitely do an ultrasound to check for ectopic. I went in at 6 weeks with spotting to the ER and they did one right away to make sure this was not the case.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"