Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Self-Soothe

What is your opinion on self-soothing?

The reason I ask is because for the last week or so after sleeping for a few hours DS has been getting restless well before his middle-of-the-night feeding and usually I pick him up, re-swaddle him and rock him a little before he can fully wake up but I'm thinking that maybe we're starting a bad habit.  Last night I let him toss and turn a little longer to see if maybe he would put himself back to sleep and when I looked into his pack n' play he was wide awake, smiling and we were both up for about an hour :/ 

Anyone have any book suggestions?  I'll try anything . . .

Re: Self-Soothe

• Options

To me, that's not self-soothing.  Self-soothing is for when they're in red-faced freak-out mode. 

The girls tend to wake up several times in the middle of the night to fuss for a minute or two (never crying, though) and they fall right back to sleep.  They don't really require soothing. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Options
    I don't think this will answer your question, but if DS is just restless and not crying, I let him figure it out. I only interven when he is crying.
    DS has acid relux and milk protein allergy, and had torticollis, used to EP, now we FF . April siggy 3-6 month
    We're Finally Three imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Born 7lb, 15oz, 21-1/4, 2 mo - 12lbs, 14oz. 25", 3mo - 14lb, 4oz 26in , 4 mo - 16lb, 1oz, 26 3/4 in, 5 mo 18 lb, 4oz 27-3/4 in, 6 mo 28 3/4 in 19lb, 14oz
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If he's happy and isn't crying I would leave him. He'll go back to sleep eventually or let you know that he is hungry.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageBC&MM:
    I don't think this will answer your question, but if DS is just restless and not crying, I let him figure it out. I only interven when he is crying.

This. I'm not sure if you are terming self-soothe correctly. To me, it means calming themselves down and soothing themselves back to sleep if they are crying, waking up etc. If he is awake but not upset, I would let him work it out. Definitely don't take him out of the PNP. That is telling him he can wake up and even if he isn't fussy, you are going to come get him.

• Options
    imageemilydholmes1:

imageBC&MM:

This. I'm not sure if you are terming self-soothe correctly. To me, it means calming themselves down and soothing themselves back to sleep if they are crying, waking up etc. If he is awake but not upset, I would let him work it out. Definitely don't take him out of the PNP. That is telling him he can wake up and even if he isn't fussy, you are going to come get him.

You're right.  I think I'm just hesitant to let him get to the point where he'll need to self-soothe and that's my problem, not his.  And I also have a hard time sleeping when I know he's awake in there . . .

• Options
    imageBC&MM:

This exactly.  I try to wait until she is starting to cry before even getting out of the bed.  Last night she fussed at least 3 times, but never cried and always went back to sleep.  I think she is just changing positions or something and trying to get comfortable again.
  • Options
    imagemrslinhart:
    imageemilydholmes1:

imageBC&MM:

I understand but try to look at it like you are preparing him for better sleep which in turn can give you better sleep! If he can learn to go back to sleep, or play quietly for a few minutes without you, it will pay off so much more in the long run.

You're right.  I think I'm just hesitant to let him get to the point where he'll need to self-soothe and that's my problem, not his.  And I also have a hard time sleeping when I know he's awake in there . . .

• Options

I don't know why my response was inside your quote. Somehow, I messed something up but this is what I meant to say...

I understand but try to look at it like you are preparing him for better sleep which in turn can give you better sleep! If he can learn to go back to sleep, or play quietly for a few minutes without you, it will pay off so much more in the long run.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"