VBAC

Dr suggested c/s today

I had my 35 week appointment today.  Up until now all the Dr's and midwives at my practice have been on board with a VBAC.  Today one of the Dr's expressed her concern and said her professional opinion would be to go ahead with the repeat c/s.

Some background:  With #1 I was at a different practice.  I was induced on my due date at 3cm because of high BP (but my BP remained normal during the entire induction)  I progressed pretty easily to 10cm and then pushed for 2 1/2 hours and was unable to deliver him.  My OB had a hard time telling for certain, but she was thinking he was face up.  Due to a low platelet issue they decided against using a vacuum or forceps because we didn't know if DS had the same issue and they didn't want to cause any damage.  So I had the c/s.  DS was 8lbs 5oz, 21 inches.

With my Dr. today we talked about my previous c/s, and she said based on what happened before she had a feeling that this baby would also be a decent size and was afraid that the same thing would happen and "she'd hate for me to go through that a second time."  I've had no growth u/s (but I know those can be off) so there's no way of knowing how big this baby is or will be.  She gave no other reasons on why she would suggest the c/s.

All along I've been preparing myself for the fact that I could go through the exact same thing (labor, pushing, c/s) I didn't have a great recovery the first time due to all the energy used during all that pushing, but I'm ok with the fact that it could happen again.  Even though the Dr did say she would back whatever decision I do make,  I can't help but feel like I'm being pressured, and it's unfortunately put some doubt in my mind.

My appointment next week is with a different Dr.  If she agrees with today's Dr for some reason....is there anything I can ask specifically to find out why they don't think I'd be successful?  Not sure if that makes sense, I just want to make sure that I do all I can to advocate for myself. 

Re: Dr suggested c/s today

• So they have supported you all along until now, and nothing has changed with this pregnancy, they are basing it on your last delivery that they already knew about? Bait and switch! I hate to see this. If they weren't comfortable with your VBAC, they should have said that in the first place so that you could find a supportive provider. I don't get it, are the providers that do this hard up for clients or something? If she is just basing this on "hating for you to go through that a second time", well that is a decision that only you can make. You have been prepared for that possibility, she should stay out of that part of the decision. I'm sorry that it has put doubt in your mind, if she was truly concerned about it it should have been brought up in the beginning for that very reason. And your first baby was a totally normal size! That isn't the only factor in a vaginal birth for sure. I went off a bit there, but these things piss me off. I hope that you can get past this and have the birth that you want. If you still want to VBAC, say so and tell them that you're sure of your decision.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I completely agree with everything pp said! 

Also, if the position of your first baby was what caused issues with you delivering, you can check out spinningbabies.com for things you can do to help your baby to be in the best position for delivery.  You can also get on your hands and knees during labor to encourage a posterior baby to turn.  Good Luck! 

imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • There is no way you should allow one appointment with one OB make you doubt yourself!! Of course there is a chance this labor could be a repeat of your first, but it's just that- a chance. It's ridiculous that she would base a professional opinion on "having a feeling" and "not wanting you to go through that again," in absence of any other evidence that suggests you might not be successful.

If everyone has been supportive so far, it could just be that she's the odd one out. Trust those who truly support you, and VBACs in general.

Ask specifically- "Why don't you think I will be successful? What are your reasons and what is the evidence?" Feelings don't cut it for me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the good thoughts ladies.  I had a good (hormonal induced) cry about it, and I'm thinking more clearly now :)

She is the first OB in a practice of 3 OB's and 2 midwives to express any doubt.  My first initial appointment at 12 weeks was with a midwife.  Her take was that it was actually good for me that DS was a decent size.  She said if I told her I pushed for almost 3 hours and only had a 6lb baby that she might doubt my ability to deliver vaginally, but since he was a bit bigger it could have just been his size/position.

I think since I'm seeing a different Dr. next week, if she expresses any doubt I'll have her go over my records from my DS's birth since I was with a different practice when I had him, or see if she has any more concrete reasons why they don't think I'd be successful. 

• She has a "feeling" that it won't happen? I think that if this comes up again, you should ask them to place their feelings aside and give you some facts. The fact is, that even in cases such as yours there is something like a 60-70% chance of success. Sorry I don't have the exact stats on me, but it's certainly nothing to throw in the towel over if this is what you want!

Frankly I doubt that the OB you spoke with today is supportive of VBAC at all. I hope that you're not caught up in a bait and switch - maybe it's just this one person. Good luck, it sounds like you have a really good attitude. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to give it a shot, at least!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My girls were both 7.5 lbs. One was in a good position and one was not. It makes all the difference! Also 8.5 is NORMAL. Do not let anyone call him big. Pretty sure I know more mamas with 8lb and up babies than not.
  • I labored to complete and pushed with DS1 for 4+ hours, and he didn't come out. He was 8lb 4oz, and was indeed posterior - it wasn't clear if that was the case with your DS? I had a VBAC in October with DS2 who was 10lb 10oz (and was lined up anteriorly). I refused a late u/s (it was part of the non-stress test bc I was late), so I had no idea he was that huge. Having a bigger baby isn't an indicator of VBAC failure. Frankly, if you're healthy and the baby's healthy, I would wait for the VBAC. Sorry you're getting the round-around this late in the game - it's so stressful, I'm sure!!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Please read my birth story if you haven't already. similar issues, successful VBAC.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a simiiar birth experience with DD#1 and a successful VBAC. Second babies are not always bigger - #1 wad 8lb6oz at 37wks, #2 was 7lb1eoz at 40.3wks, and if it was positional, size doesn't matter that much anyway. As for my VBAC, the doctor in the practice I go to (different than with DD#1) who was most vocal about me being a bad VBAC candidate delivered my second. When he came on shift during my labor, I would have put money on my going to the ER, but my body took over and did what it was supposed to this time. I sau trust your instincts more than those of that OB, and have faith in your body.
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Hey, fellow bumpie!! :)

I'm sorry you were so discouraged by this particular doc at your appt. I agree with pp, I would definitely ask for some concrete facts about why this doc is advocating for the repeat c/s. Given your 1st birth experience, it sounds as if you should certainly be given the opportunity to try if both you and baby Levi are safe and healthy. 

I am telling myself all these things too, as I have a check-up on Tuesday. I hope to learn more about baby girl's position to still go for the VBAC. I am doing everything I can to get her to turn (if she hasn't already!) GL! We can do this!

imageimage
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"