Natural Birth
Options

Ways to naturally induce labor

Was curious if anyone has had any natural methods (acupressure, etc.) actually work for them, and what people are planning on trying? I really want to avoid having to do anything medically so while I have a few months still, am wanting to learn what will be effective in getting baby moving!

TIA!

Re: Ways to naturally induce labor

• Options

I think it is good you are thinking about this now.  I think the best way to avoid interventions is to get your baby in the prime birthing position.  Check out www.spinningbabies.com for some exercises to get your baby in the best position.

Another thing is to find out how long your doc/midwife/etc will let you go post-due before induction (assuming everything looks healthy).  Most will wait 2 weeks.

I went 10 days late with DD1 and 7 days over with DS2.  DD1 came after castor oil induction (on midwife's rec) and DS2 came after no-pit induction (just broke my water and I went into labor).  I think both my babies were late because of how they were positioned (posterior) and the shape of my ute-- I was 6cm+ dilated before I went into labor!

• Options
    lots of walking, nipple stimulation, evening primrose oil starting around 36 wks, and sex (my water broke less than an hour after sex at 38.5wks, don't know if that was coincidence or not).  I have also heard others recommend red raspberry leaf tea, but I have not tried that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My best advice is to find a care provider who will not rush you into an induction too early.  Natural induction methods are great but only work when your baby is ready to come.  

This is coming from someone who tried them ALL and still had her babe at 43 weeks.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options

This is my first so I don't have personal experience, but my doula just sent me an email about evening primrose oil and red raspberry leaf tea.  It might be something to look into...

image Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    I started doing Evening Primrose Oil (orally and vaginally) and drinking raspberry leaf tea at 37 weeks. DS was born at 38w 3d and my labor was only 5 hours. I was also under regular chiropractic care and got massages twice a year (yeah, I had awesome insurance). I firmly believe the combination of all those things led to my short, easy labor.
    image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • Options

Oops! I meant twice a WEEK on the massages, not twice a year.

Oh, and I had lots of sex after the 37 week mark. :)

image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • Options

Thanks for posting. I'm due tomorrow and started nipple stimulation every hour for 5 minutes today. Only results = sporadic painless contractions and sensitive nipples! Plan to continue until I go to bed and resume tomorrow. I'll also see OB tomorrow and see if she's got any more recommendations.

BTW, my Bradley teacher said that first babies allowed to come naturally average 8 days past due date.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did the following:  chiropractic, acupuncture (gave me stronger contractions), bouncing on exercise ball while doing nipple stimulation (gave me mild contractions), walking, sex (make sure you orgasm), and castor oil (nasty, drink it in orange juice).  The night I took the castor oil I went into labor.  I was 1 week overdue and facing an induction the next day.
  • Options
    We had sex on my due date at like noon, I started laboring at 3:30 and DD was born a little after 7!!
  • Options
    I had ALOT of sex, it worked.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"