Postpartum Depression

separation anxiety (long)

Okay I am slightly embaressed to admit that I have terrible, and I mean terrible separation anxiety from my family.  I have had it forever.  They think the reason I have it is that my dad left my mom for a while during a critical time for me (my teenage years), and I just never could grow out of it like a normal person would.  

I live very far away from all of my family and have for 12 years.  I see them all of the time even though we live that far away.  It is awful every single time they leave or I leave.  I cry for days and days even on medication.  Well it is even worse after I had my daughter, and again it is bad again (just gave birth two weeks ago)

I was just curious if anyone was like me.  i also have generalized anxiety disorder.  Every time i separate from family it feels like someone died....it is this horrible intense feeling of sadness.  i have had counseling and basically they told me that maybe i should just move by them since my husband works from home now anyway.  My parents left yesterday so i am dealing with it as we speak.  i have a supportive husband and my parents try to help me through it also.  my dr's all know about it and even though i have crying spells I function fine.  Just curious if i am alone in this...

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)

Re: separation anxiety (long)

• I dont have it as bad as you do but maybe you should try a different medication that will help you relax? My fears come from death. I lost my mother at a young age and also suffered a stillbirth. SO my fear is that someone will die around me, includign myself so I dont like to be left alone. Just try to push your self and get out there and try to enjoy something.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've had bouts of separation anxiety my entire life, as far back as I remember (age 7 or 8). My family used to live across the country, and at the end of every visit I was devastated all over again. So I think I can relate to what you're feeling. I also experience generalized anxiety, and I've had PPD in the past 18 mos. What has helped me most has been therapy. I am not taking any medication, just seeing a therapist. Have you talked to one on a regular basis? I recommend it.

Can you Skype with your family so you can "see" them and maybe feel a little closer to them whenever you need to?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"