High-Risk Pregnancy

Cerclage and Baths?

this is XP from 2nd tri because somehow I accidently posted it over there but think this would be a better place.

I have a short cervix and cerclage. My doctor has told me it is okay to take baths. I am convinced I lost my plug 4 weeks ago, the day after my cerclage surgery. I am very weary to take a bath and have been avoiding them even though she says it's okay. I read some places online that it's not okay and can cause infection.

Whats your take on cerclage/short cervix and taking baths, obviously in a pre cleaned tub? I don't want to do anything that can egg on an infection.

Re: Cerclage and Baths?

• my doc told me "no baths" - and that was ordered right after i received the cerclage.  i have asked her since - and she's said "no way, there's a risk for infection, and i dont want anything up there even remotely bringing the chance for that".   I dont know if this is just for me....because i did develop an infection last pregnancy after the cerclage that caused me to go into labor, or if she requires this of all her cerclage patients.  but as hard as it is...oh man...a warm bath would feel soo nice... i'm for sure listening to her!

also....i too had a TON of gooey-snot-like-mucus plug like discharge after both cerclages. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebride2be.austin:

my doc told me "no baths" - and that was ordered right after i received the cerclage.  i have asked her since - and she's said "no way, there's a risk for infection, and i dont want anything up there even remotely bringing the chance for that".   I dont know if this is just for me....because i did develop an infection last pregnancy after the cerclage that caused me to go into labor, or if she requires this of all her cerclage patients.  but as hard as it is...oh man...a warm bath would feel soo nice... i'm for sure listening to her!

also....i too had a TON of gooey-snot-like-mucus plug like discharge after both cerclages. 

I really do believe it was the plug. It was only 2 days. One huge clump and then some left over the next day. I wonder if it can re-generate?

I was aftaid of that answer as far as baths. I do not want to do anything to risk it.

• Loading the player...
  • When I got my first cerclage three years ago, I was taking my then 2 year old to a mommy and me swim. After I mentioned it to the doc, she told me to discontinue, also NO baths, no sex, no douching, no fingers (lol), no nothing in there. But I also lost my son due to an infection of my amniotic fluid my second pregnancy (although I never took a bath that pregnancy)... so the ob/gyn and peri could also have been telling me this to be cautious in my case. Not trying to scare you.

However, if your doc is saying no... I wouldn't do it for it wouldn't hurt any to miss a few months w/o baths.... just to be on the safe side.

Bottom line from me is, I would follow their orders.

Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.
  • imagebuggles:

When I got my first cerclage three years ago, I was taking my then 2 year old to a mommy and me swim. After I mentioned it to the doc, she told me to discontinue, also NO baths, no sex, no douching, no fingers (lol), no nothing in there. But I also lost my son due to an infection of my amniotic fluid my second pregnancy (although I never took a bath that pregnancy)... so the ob/gyn and peri could also have been telling me this to be cautious in my case. Not trying to scare you.

However, if your doc is saying no... I wouldn't do it for it wouldn't hurt any to miss a few months w/o baths.... just to be on the safe side.

that's the thing, she said it's fine.

I have just heard otherwise so that's why I haven't.

• imageAprilLynn09:

I really do believe it was the plug. It was only 2 days. One huge clump and then some left over the next day. I wonder if it can re-generate?

I was aftaid of that answer as far as baths. I do not want to do anything to risk it.

The plug does regenerate. My ob/gyn mentioned this several weeks ago when I asked her what losing the mucous plug looked like. This is so necessary for the prevention of those nasties from traveling up and messing with our babies in their sterile environment. That in addition to a long channel for it to remain in (hence the need for as long a cervix as possible).

And yes! I'm one of those patients who pummel the docs with type-written questions which I'm sure can be so annoying.

Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.
  • imagebuggles:

When I got my first cerclage three years ago, I was taking my then 2 year old to a mommy and me swim. After I mentioned it to the doc, she told me to discontinue, also NO baths, no sex, no douching, no fingers (lol), no nothing in there. But I also lost my son due to an infection of my amniotic fluid my second pregnancy (although I never took a bath that pregnancy)... so the ob/gyn and peri could also have been telling me this to be cautious in my case. Not trying to scare you.

• imageAprilLynn09:
    imagebride2be.austin:

my doc told me "no baths" - and that was ordered right after i received the cerclage.  i have asked her since - and she's said "no way, there's a risk for infection, and i dont want anything up there even remotely bringing the chance for that".   I dont know if this is just for me....because i did develop an infection last pregnancy after the cerclage that caused me to go into labor, or if she requires this of all her cerclage patients.  but as hard as it is...oh man...a warm bath would feel soo nice... i'm for sure listening to her!

humm....she's never said if she thinks i've lost it or not.  BUT she has said that that's one of the reasons that she put me on projesterone suppostories as well  "to strengthen the mucus plug".  interesting. i'm going to ask her next appt.

yeah.. i dont know...even through your doc said baths were okay.  i personally would stay away.  also - didn't you say you are seeing a new MFM now?  i'd wait for sure till you are in their care and see what they say!

• imageAprilLynn09:
    imagebuggles:

Oops! I misread and I apologize.

Hmmm.... seeing that bride2be also had an infection, perhaps then the "no bath" order might just be given to those of us who have had an infection previously.  I just thought it was standard. Maybe that's a good question to ask the doc the next time... to see where the difference lies.

• I had my cerclage placed at 14 weeks and immediately following my Dr. told me no baths. At my last appointment I asked if I could take a bath now and he told me that it was fine to take a bath, straight water absolutely no bubble bath or anything extra and to not take a long or extremely hot one.  I have not done it yet because I was nerveous about taking a bath.  I don't want to chance anything either.
    Bravado Bras at Nurtured Family
  • My MFM said it was perfectly fine.
    IVF #1 BFN... IVF #2 BFP! TWINS!
    Twins born too early at 23 weeks due to incompetent cervix
    FET #1, IUI #1, 2, 3, 4 - all BFN
    IVF #3 BFP!!! IT'S A BOY! Born July 16th, 2011
    FET #2 BFP! Due February 15, 2013
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagebride2be.austin:
    imageAprilLynn09:
    imagebride2be.austin:

humm....she's never said if she thinks i've lost it or not.  BUT she has said that that's one of the reasons that she put me on projesterone suppostories as well  "to strengthen the mucus plug".  interesting. i'm going to ask her next appt.

yeah.. i dont know...even through your doc said baths were okay.  i personally would stay away.  also - didn't you say you are seeing a new MFM now?  i'd wait for sure till you are in their care and see what they say!

Everyone getting their lists ready. lol

yeah, I'm almost thinking I don't want to risk it.

My OB actually did my cerclage and she's the one who said the baths were okay.

The Peri just does my measurements and high risk checkups/recommendations. I really am glad to be going to a new Peri since I've discovered that everyone gets internal u/s while I have been getting external. I researched everywhere and it seems like the measurements are similar with the two but I want to be sure I am getting the best measurement possible. Not to change the subject! lol

• I was told absolutely no baths.  Thanks for posting I lost my plug this weekend and almost flipped out.  It been a little over a month since I've had my cerclage, but I definitely thought my world was over.
  • imageAprilLynn09:

this is XP from 2nd tri because somehow I accidently posted it over there but think this would be a better place.

I have a short cervix and cerclage. My doctor has told me it is okay to take baths. I am convinced I lost my plug 4 weeks ago, the day after my cerclage surgery. I am very weary to take a bath and have been avoiding them even though she says it's okay. I read some places online that it's not okay and can cause infection.

Whats your take on cerclage/short cervix and taking baths, obviously in a pre cleaned tub? I don't want to do anything that can egg on an infection.

Exactly all of this! 

Ok I meant to quote bride2be. lol

But  my doc says no baths, she can be on the conservative side though. For me, I'd rather not take the chance- even if it's a small one! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I was told no baths too. We just redid our bathroom and now have a huge tub, that I haven't been able to use yet. I just keep telling myself it will be worth the wait.
  • imagebuggles:
    imageAprilLynn09:

The plug does regenerate. My ob/gyn mentioned this several weeks ago when I asked her what losing the mucous plug looked like.

This.  I went straight to L&D when mine came out.  I too thought my world was ending and that these babies were on their way out.  I had more goo for probably the next three days that got progressively more clear and the last day there was any it looked more like ovulation mucus.  Guess it was re-filling!   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"