3rd Trimester
Options

Diaper Genie Ques for 2nd time moms

I got the diaper genie as a shower gift today and although I did not put it on my registry, I'm wondering if it worth keeping.  Can any of the veteran moms tell me if they are worth it? I seem to get mixed reviews about them not being completely necessary.

Thanks!

Re: Diaper Genie Ques for 2nd time moms

• Options
    I didn't use it much because we ended up switching to cloth. But, I hated it! You have to push diapers in really hard to get them to go through, and usually that ends up squishing things out of diapers that you want to stay in the diaper. It might keep the smell contained, but I would recommend just emptying trash more often and skipping the diaper genie!
    PhotobucketPhotobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

i got it at my shower today too (the DG II, not sure if they are all the same)

The one great thing i've heard is that it's one of the only "hands free" diaper pails that only requires the one hand to throw the diaper in- you can open and close with your foot.  I'm keeping it since it was a gift, but we'll see how it goes when I actually use it!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagefluffybuns:
    You have to push diapers in really hard to get them to go through, and usually that ends up squishing things out of diapers that you want to stay in the diaper.

This is the case with the first generation ones, not the DGII. I happen to love mine but I know moms who don't- for us it was worth buying the liners to not have diaper smell in the garbage. (we need to walk outside to put things in the garbage and it only gets picked up every two weeks, so that probably makes a difference too) For me, I love mine!  I can see why they're making one for cat litter as well- makes sense to me!

Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I've heard complaints about it, but we've always used it and had no issues. Apparently with the diaper champ you can use regular trash bags instead of the refils that they genie uses. Either way, you're paying for the bags.

Braydon 1.23.09
    Weston 3.24.11
    EDD 5.26.14
  • Options
    I used it with DS and now I am using it with DD. However, I only use it for wet diapers, dirty diapers go into a target plastic bag and straight to the trash. Also, once I ran out of the DG bags that were given along with the DG I just saved one of the rings used for the DG brand sacks and used a white trash sack that I use for the kitchen, saves you a ton.
    Photobucket
  • Options

I have the diaper genie and I love it.  It contains the smell and I have to disagree with the previous poster that said it squishes stuff out of the diaper when you put the diaper in.  I've never had that problem.  I know some people say that they will just take the diaper out every time or empty the trash every day but IMO that is unrealistic.  Babies poop a lot and you're not going to want to run outside every time you change a dirty diaper and putting it in just the trash will stink up your house really fast - even if you plan on taking the trash out that evening.

imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    While I am not a 2+ mom, we did buy the DG 2.  We plan to use it for poopy diapers not pee ones.  We have two dogs, both of which feel that the cat box is a buffet for their pleasure.  We decided that it was the best option for us in order to keep them out of an open trash can that may have a dirty diaper or two that we simply did not get a chance to take to the outside trash can.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We got a DG II for kid #1.  He's still and diapers.  It was worth another $20 for the convenience of having one in #2's room. 
  • Options
    I own a DG II and love it.  I'll be using it for baby #2 also.
  • Options
    we have a "diaper dekor" and loved it when DS was little b/c they contained the smell and you can use regular kitchen trash bags. It doesn't contain the smell very well now that he is bigger and has smellier poops.
  • Options
    I think it's a waste of money so I took mine back for a store credit to get something I needed.
  • Options

We used the Diaper Champ for each of the boys, and I'm getting a new one for baby #3.  I like the Champ since it uses regular trash bags (someone above said you are paying for the bags either way, but my trash bags are a lot cheaper than the DG refill ones).  Anyway, there is no way I'd run dirty diapers outside everytime when the baby is so little (they poop a LOT), and an open trash can would smell immediately...I mean it'd be the same as leaving it out on the dresser, it smells! 

That said, the Diaper Champ eventually begins to stink, but to me, it's worth the year + I get out of it...works great. 

Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • Options
    I preferred the Diaper Champ and a bottle of Clorox Anywhere spray.
    Mrs. 5/03*DD 2/07*DS1 5/09*DS2 7/12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We used cloth diapers but I had one of these before we made the switch. IMO they're pretty gross - I never threw poop diapers out in there because regardless of how well it would hold in the scent - it was just as easy to bring the diaper outside and drop it into the trash can. The stank that would hit you when you unloaded the diapers from the thing was horrible.

At the very least if I were to get one of these I would only get the one where you can use any trashbag rather than always having to go out for more refills. 

• Options

Thanks Ladies for all the input! It still seems like people have mixed feelings on it.  I don't really feel like running outside to dump the trash everyday but I also don't know how I feel about a bunch of dirty diapers building up in the DG over a period of time. Decisions Decisions!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"