High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

can cervix shorten and lengthen?

I was put on bedrest and meds a couple weeks ago because my cervix was measuring short - 17-18mm. My last appt I was 17-19mm was wondering does anyone know if the cervix can grow in length and return to somewhat normal - which I'm told is at least around 30mm?  Has this happened to anyone?  just wondering what my chances are of getting back to a somewhat normal pregnancy or at least getting off of bedrest.

Thanks gang!

Re: can cervix shorten and lengthen?

• Options

yep!  i have been on bedrest since 23 weeks when my cervix suddenly shortened from 3cm to 1.8cm.  here's what has happened for me week by week.

Jan. 4 - 23 weeks. week 1 bedrest - 1.8cm
    Jan. 11 - 24 weeks. week 2 bedrest - 2.5cm
    Jan. 18 - 25 weeks. week 3 bedrest - 3cm
    Jan. 25 - 26 weeks. week 4 bedrest - 3cm
    Feb. 1 - 27 weeks. week 5 bedrest - 1.3cm
    Feb. 8 - 28 weeks. week 6 bedrest - 1.5cm
    Feb. 15 - 29 weeks. week 7 bedrest - 1.7cm

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    yes i was admitted to the hospital with 1.5cm then in a week it went to a 3 and i got to go home but on bedrest.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagebride2be.austin:

yep!  i have been on bedrest since 23 weeks when my cervix suddenly shortened from 3cm to 1.8cm.  here's what has happened for me week by week.

Wow, Thanks. So there is a chance it can go up and possibly back down  I'm hoping mine will go up and stay put, but I guess only time will tell. Fingers crossed and prayers said. 

Thanks again for the info.

• Options

Yes. Your cervix can increase in length. Keep in mind however that even though it may increase in length while on bedrest usually, bedrest is continued to maintain it. I think it is rare that once it lengthens on BR and one gets back to having a "normal" pregnancy (and by this I understand you to mean up on one's feet and doing things as in early pregnancy) that it will remain at that length due to all the pressure and actions imposed on it.

Also bear in mind that the cervix normally shortens as the gestational age increases in a pregnant female with a normal cervix. But the great thing to know is that BR can help you achieve getting as close to term as possible if your cervix tends to shorten much more than normal.

Be well.

Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.
  • Options
    imagekrste78:
    imagebride2be.austin:

Wow, Thanks. So there is a chance it can go up and possibly back down  I'm hoping mine will go up and stay put, but I guess only time will tell. Fingers crossed and prayers said. 

Thanks again for the info.

yes...mine had the big drop down again at 26 weeks because of baby girls huge growth spurt!  (not at all what we were expecting after seeing the 3's on bedrest).  but i have heard of others that have remained on bedrest and their cervix stayed around a 2.5 until term.

• Options
    imagebuggles:

Yes. Your cervix can increase in length. Keep in mind however that even though it may increase in length while on bedrest usually, bedrest is continued to maintain it. I think it is rare that once it lengthens on BR and one gets back to having a "normal" pregnancy (and by this I understand you to mean up on one's feet and doing things as in early pregnancy) that it will remain at that length due to all the pressure and actions imposed on it.

I completely agree with this.  I have seen the cervix lengthen, but very rarely does that mean it will stay that way with normal activity.

Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"