Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

HPV ?

So at my  6wk check up, my pap smear came back abnormal. Last week I had to have a colpyscopy (?) done. Well, my co worker told me she had to have the same thing done last year and said her test come back negative but that she had been exposed to HPV. What does this mean? I mean do you not either have it or not? My Dr seems to think I am fine and that everything will come back negative. He said that this thing tends to happen right after you give birth, so I wasn't really worried until she mentioned this! Now I am freakin out!!

Re: HPV ?

• Options

Abnormal paps can mean so many different things. Don't jump on the HPV bandwagon yet- though the rates are very high, it doesn't mean you are one of those exposed.

Just hang in there until the doc calls you- hopefully that will be soon. I'd take your doc's reassurance way more seriously than your co-worker's story. 

• Options
    There are also many, many different types of HPV (different strings). Even if you did have it, it doesn't mean you are going to have genital warts or cervical cancer. You could have an extremely mild string.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had an abnormal pap one time as well. I freaked out just like you, but I had a follow up and it came back normal. My doctor told me it was more than likely just the time I had my pap (I started AF a couple of days later). I haven't had an abnormal one since.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

Typically when a pap comes back abnormal they auto test for HPV (at least the high risk strains). There are many levels of abnormal, I would ask your Dr. what level the colpo/pap came back at. If it was ASCUS you really don't need to worry.

I wouldnt get too concerned, an abnormal pap can happen just based on timing of sex, your period or the way the dr. took the sample. Did you have a history of abnormal paps? I ask that because it's weird that they rushed to the colpo if you didn't have a history.

I've had 2 colpos and a LEEP and have HPV but my mom and grandmother both had cervical cancer before they were 28 so I think it's more genetic than HPV related. I've got a ton of experience with all this so let me know if you have questions.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options
    imageSnoopyLuv:

Typically when a pap comes back abnormal they auto test for HPV (at least the high risk strains). There are many levels of abnormal, I would ask your Dr. what level the colpo/pap came back at. If it was ASCUS you really don't need to worry.

I wouldnt get too concerned, an abnormal pap can happen just based on timing of sex, your period or the way the dr. took the sample. Did you have a history of abnormal paps? I ask that because it's weird that they rushed to the colpo if you didn't have a history.

I've had 2 colpos and a LEEP and have HPV but my mom and grandmother both had cervical cancer before they were 28 so I think it's more genetic than HPV related. I've got a ton of experience with all this so let me know if you have questions.

Thanks Snoopyluv!

This is the first one that has ever came back negative and that is why he said he wanted to go ahead and do the colpo. He said that he could be from just giving birth and the cervix being inflammed?? I just did not understand how you could have been in contact with HPV but not have it?? Does that makes sense to you??

• Options
    2 years agoi had an abnormal pap, and HPV popped up- but, my gyno said that it mostly always goes away on its own, and if at my next pap test it was still there, thats when i needed to worry. it was gone at the pap i had right before i had my BFP
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

HPV can clear up on it's own and in most cases your immune system fights it off. I don't test positive for it every time, it's strange the way the body works.

I think that was very shady of your doctor to do the colpo after only one abnormal pap. Standard procedure is after 2 abnormal paps in a one year period you get a colpo, your first step should have been a second pap. THe doctors can get a lot of insurance reimbursement for the colposcopies, that's why they push them, but still shady IMO. Did they take samples from you? If they did, I'm sorry, it's most unpleasant.

Your cervix goes through a lot of changes after pregnancy and birth, I really wouldn't be concerned. Having an abnormal pap does not automatically mean HPV. It's just that the cells on your cervix are abnormally shaped, which like I said before could be from a host of things. They typically automatically test for HPV because that gives the GYN a better idea of how to track your progress. I have to have 2 paps a year and generally 1 colpo each year because of how high risk I am. Usually during the colpo they don't take a sample I just get a pap because things look normal but just come back weird on the pap. It's a mess but I have done so much research on it I'm fine with them continually checking me.

I'm glad everything sounds fine but if this happens again just ask for a repeat pap instead of the colpo first.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options
    I thought you either had it or you didn't.  2 years ago I had an abnormal pap and GYN said I had HPV so they did a colpo and I had Pre-Cervical cancer cells and had to have them removed.  GYN told MM it was from HPV was like an STD and it was from having sex and they made me get the Gardisil shots. 
  • Options
    Gardisil shots only protect you if you don't ahve HPV. Once you have it, you ahve it even though it does clear itself up at different intervals in your life.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers imagePrince Spaghetti Night imageXO My Funny Valentine XO
  • Options

imageRandy'sgirl52409:
    Gardisil shots only protect you if you don't ahve HPV. Once you have it, you ahve it even though it does clear itself up at different intervals in your life.

I kno that, but MM made me get them bc its "supposed to" prevent cervical cancer is what we were told... I really wish we would have gotten a second opinion... i called to get my medical records and they wont let me have them without paying for them. 

• Options
    A good friend of mine has had abnormal pap results for the last 11 years - and has had to have six colposcopies. All of them came back normal. I know it's hard not to worry, but everything could be fine - and it's possible that having the pap done at only 6 weeks PP messed up the results. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"