New to The Bump
Options

ttc/"bleeding ovulation"

this is the first "official" month me and my husband are ttc we have had lots of oopsie (as i like to refer to them) in the past but now we are activly ttc.  I have been watching my weight lately and have been trying to eat healthy for awhile and taking prenatals just in case it occurs on the first try but on my last visit ( a week ago) to the gynocologist he was very confusing. When doing an exam he said it appeared that i was ovulating right then and there but when I explained that I had horrendous periods and that they were always off by a week or two he said that might be "bleeding ovulation" and ordered a blood test and I still havent gotten the results and its so frustrating! Has anyone else gone through this before? im kinda in limbo here on if its even possible now to have a baby. And keep in mind im 28 and healthy. Confused

Re: ttc/"bleeding ovulation"

• Options

I'm confused by your gynocologist too...did he tell you you were bleeding right then and there (while you were ovulating)? If you're just coming off of BCPs it's not surprising that your periods are off (not regular). Some women do spot/bleed during actual ovulation. This could from the rupture of the follicle OR it could be from a polyp or cyst or endometriosis...

I've had horrendous periods my whole life and only spotted during ovulation once. I had a lap and they did find stage II endo and polyps/fibroids in my uterus. I haven't spotted during ovulation since the lap. 

BUT, there a plenty of women out there who have terrible periods, spot during ovulation and have NO trouble conceiving so don't start panicking. It could very well be nothing. I hope you get some answers soon with your b/w. GL!

TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ditto the pp. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions until the blood test results come back. I would ask specifically what the dr was testing for and what they indicate. And I wouldn't immediately jump to the possibility that you can't have kids. You may just have irregular periods and everything else looks normal. Or you could have one of a host of very fixable problems that you can address sooner rather than later.

And I would strongly encourage you to start now in being an advocate for your own care, especially when it comes to TTC. If the doctor tells you something that's confusing to you, or that you don't understand, keep asking questions until you get an answer. Sometimes they're so busy with the other patients they're seeing they assume they can tell you everything is normal and you'll just wander off and not think about it any more.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

ive been off the pill for almost a full two years after having been on it for 10! periods are back to "normal" meaning they were bad before and thats partly why i went on the pill in the first place.  The main reason I went off the pill two years ago was because for a full year on the pill i wasnt getting any period at all! the doctor said that happened to some woman after being on the pill for so long but knowing that in a few years i would be TTC i got off of them before any trouble occured.

I got my test results from the dr last night FINALLY! they said I was ovulating but it was at 13.4 what that means i dont know?! then they said it wasnt high or low it was in between but all i care about is that i am ovulating with no problems! whew! but then the nurse asked me if my husband would get a sperm analysis?! which considering we are 28 and 29 years old I thought it was a weird thing to ask of him considering we have been TTC for only 1 month! I took a pregnancy test yesterday because I have been feeling so fatigued and out of it and my back and boobs were super sore.....it was negative and its probably just the symptoms of my period. When did trying to get pregnant become so hard? Thank god I have a super supportive husband who can make me laugh when it gets a little confusing or frustrating bc otherwise I would lose it! I joked with him that all those years in highschool we were trying so hard NOT to get pregnant now we want to and its like an obstacle course just to get there! lol At least I have my sense of humor and I know the end result will be a baby but once you decide "ok we are ready" you just want it to happen and its very hard not to imagine being pregnant and holding my baby which can be a good postive thing but also getting ahead of yourself is not always so good either.

i just want answers and sometimes doctors are in such a rush to collect the next copay....i swear next time im going in there and im gonna tell my doctor "pretend I dont have insurance and I'm paying cash....now treat me!" ha! id like to take a picture of his expression! lol well until next time and thank you i need all the postivity i can get!

• Options

actually he said it looked like i was ovulating and then i (in a nervous panic) said "oh good bc i had some unprotected sex this morning!" he looked at me and said "oh maybe thats what im seeing!" i didnt know what the hell that meant! but had to laugh

he said bleeding ovulation bc of how i was describing my horrendous periods

i would get it so heavy that i would go through a tampon and a pad every 10 minutes (no exagerating!) and that would be for two days and then just light spotting for another two days and then done and i had crippling cramps and back pain and my boobs constantly feel like they weigh 100 pounds and are always sore....

im ovulating according to the nurse and dr which is good but i was told i have to come back for blood work to check my hormone and ovulation levels every 21st day after the first day of my period until i concieve...we are trying to follow an ovulation chart but its hard and then i found out that having too much sex is no good so now we have to cut back on our active and healthy sex life which is a little annoying bc we didnt think it would change our sex life this much! lol i though we would have to have more sex! we are both shocked at the "instructions" we are given by the dr but we are sooooo ready to start growing our little family and as my wonderful and often too good for me,puts up with my pms mood swings husband said "i am lucky and i always get what i want" this is true

• Options

The number your doctor gave you was probably your progesterone level. I agree that a semen analysis is probably a little premature at this point since you've only been TTC for 1 month.

Some people recommend every other day sex as opposed to every day sex just in case your H DOES have a count on the lowish side. Sex every other day will give his "boys" time to replenish. And remember, sperm can live for several days inside YOUR body in ideal conditions so sex every other day is probably just fine, that way you guys won't get burnt out!  

And remember, while some people get lucky their first month trying, it's not that way for most people. It can take an average healthy couple up to a year to conceive even with perfect timing and frequent sex so please don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen right away.

Good luck!!

TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I got my test results from the dr last night FINALLY! they said I was ovulating but it was at 13.4 what that means i dont know?!

Then ask them. You really have to be your own advocate for your care. I agree that the # probably refers to  your progesterone level. Anything above a 10 is considered positive for ovulation. But it has to be done at a certain point in your cycle or it's meaningless. I'd ask about that, and do some research on it.

but then the nurse asked me if my husband would get a sperm analysis?! which considering we are 28 and 29 years old I thought it was a weird thing to ask of him considering we have been TTC for only 1 month!

The nurse probably has no idea how long you've been TTC or how old you or your DH are. It's a simple, relatively inexpensive test, and if she saw b/w for you, she probably assume you'd be moving on to an SA sooner rather than later. But I agree you can wait.

When did trying to get pregnant become so hard?

If you've only been TTC 1 month, it hasn't gotten hard. Not that many people get pregnant their first try. You have, under ideal conditions, a 20% chance of getting pregnant each cycle.

actually he said it looked like i was ovulating and then i (in a nervous panic) said "oh good bc i had some unprotected sex this morning!" he looked at me and said "oh maybe thats what im seeing!" i didnt know what the hell that meant!

It probably means he thinks the bleeding may be due to having sex

i was told i have to come back for blood work to check my hormone and ovulation levels every 21st day after the first day of my period until i concieve...

IMO that's overkill. You just started to TTC. I would suggest getting a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility and/or signing up on fertilityfriend.com. You'll learn a lot about your body and the best way to time conception.

we are trying to follow an ovulation chart but its hard and then i found out that having too much sex is no good so now we have to cut back on our active and healthy sex life which is a little annoying bc we didnt think it would change our sex life this much!

If you're following an ovulation calendar, ditch it. It assumes everyone has a perfect 28-day cycle and ovulates on Day 14, and most people don't. See the resources above instead.

And it's hard to have too much sex. If your DH has normal sperm (which is likely), once a day won't do any harm.

we are both shocked at the "instructions" we are given by the dr

Find another one. It sounds like he just wants you for your co-pay. You don't need to be going in every cycle for b/w at one month TTC unless he found a problem, which he didn't.

• Options
    You have eased my mind a lot thank you
  • Options

imagepbearrenna:
    You have eased my mind a lot thank you

Please take DrL's advice.  Your doc is a whackjob. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"