Houston Babies

Advice needed: splitting time with OOT grandparents

DH and I are both from neighboring towns, so our parents live about 15 minutes from each other. We are making our first trip home with DS in about a month. BOTH mine and his parents want us to stay with them. At first we decided to split time, stay 3 days with his parents, 3 days with mine. The problem now is that my sister is moving back in with my parents and will move into the bedroom that was going to be completed to be a guest room downstairs, which will now be her room with all. My parents house is a loft in the upstairs of an old barn, so there are no enclosed rooms, except for the bathroom, so the room they are building was the only way we would stay there. I told my mom last night that I thought it would be best that now we stay at DH's parent's house, since my sister was moving in with her. My mom lost it, flipped out, I feel horrible but have no clue what to do. I honestly don't want to split time, I just want DS at one house to make it less stressful for DH and I, but either way the other parent will be hurt. So, WWYD to make it seem fair for each set of parents?

Re: Advice needed: splitting time with OOT grandparents

• stay at a hotel
  • imagestarlettedir:
    stay at a hotel

That's what I'd do with a baby.  The idea of trying to split time would make me crazy.  Plus it gives you the flexibility to get up and get going when you can/want in the morning. I'd say if she wants you to stay with her your sister needs to sleep on the sofa or elsewhere while you're there.  

• Loading the player...
  • we stay with DH's dad when we go back to atlanta, even though his mom lives down the street.  FIL's house is a much better set up for kids than MIL's house.  We spend between breakfast and naptime at MIL's house to make up for it.

But really, your mom needs to act like ana dult, remember how hard it was to travel with a baby and realize you aren't doin this to be mean or unfair to her

• If staying at a hotel isn't an option (both sides of our family would flip if we did that) then perhaps asking your sister to give up her room for three days? I don't think that is unreasonable.
  • Thanks ladies. We have decided to stay at IL's but spend almost all day with my parent's for a few of the days. That is about as fair as we can be without me losing my sanity.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"