March 2011 Moms

Stick to the registry people!

So..my shower is this weekend and only 14 things off my BRU registry and 8 things on Target have been purchased...WTF!?  Now I don't mind if people use the registry as a referance and then purchase elsewhere if they get a better price but...SIL informed me they went shopping at BRU the other day (her and my MIL) and wanted to warn me in advanced if my MIL gets something I really don't want/like to tell her and she will let my MIL know in case I feel weird saying it.  My MIL has a habbit of thinking we like something and getting something totally crazy and unuseful...for example my maiden name was a brand of candy and she's bought me everything that has that brand on it.  She has great intentions but sometimes i think she just goes overboard.  I am scared now to open her gift!  I am genrally not one to be secretive about my tastes and style...and i just hope others don't get me crazy stuff too!

All in all I am hoping we get useful things and that i won't have to spend a lot of time returning and purchasing things...we only have 4 weeks left.

On a positive note...Saturday is my shower and Sunday is my birthday!  So it will be a fun and exciting weekend!! Smile  And I may have a funny story to share about my MIL's gift! ;)  hahaha!

image DD#1-Lillian (Lilly) Grace BabyFruit Ticker BLOG:http://lifeasweknowitkelly.blogspot.com/

Re: Stick to the registry people!

• Just be gracious at the shower, thank everyone and remember that they mean well, even if they are buying stuff you really hate. We got a lot more stuff that was not on our registry than stuff that was, but we were able to exchange a lot of small items (lots of clothes!) for some of the big-ticket items we had left after our showers. Yeah, it took an evening of exchanging stuff, but it was worth it to get those last few big things we needed!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yes, definitely don't be surprised... You're lucky to have gotten that much off of the registry so far. My best friend even through a shower at work after my family shower. I stressed to her that I needed stuff off of the registry when she asked what we needed. She still went and got a bunch of stuff that I didn't need. Things that were marked off on the registry. Clothes, that I told her specifically that we didn't need. We needed stuff like sheets and changing table covers. Receiving blankets... So at the end, after 2 showers, one where I was 100% blunt and honest about the host sticking to the registry, I still had to get the majority of the non-fun items myself.

Also, don't be surprised if you end up with something you registered for, but a different style. My aunt decided that she liked a bouncer more than the one we picked out and decided to get it instead. I had to return that to get ours. The crazier thing was the one she picked out was more expensive.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I totally agree with you I've had 2 shower and pretty much ppl buy you clothes.  Take my MIL for instance she promises to purchase all of these big ticket items, but only came to the shower with clothes and a blanket.  WTH....I know it sounds ungrateful but I can pick out my own clothes.  Embarrassed
  • I know...I hate sounding like an ungrateful brat...but we spent so much time picking the stuff out and deciding what we need...especially since we have a small townhouse so we can't have lots of crap we can't store! 
    image DD#1-Lillian (Lilly) Grace BabyFruit Ticker BLOG:http://lifeasweknowitkelly.blogspot.com/
  • I didn't feel bad in the least bit, I just figured out where the majority of the stuff came from and returned it.  Thank God we were able to purchase many of our bigger items that we did need help with vs. alot of useless stuff!
  • We didnt get alot from the registry either. alot of people bought us clothes. I also realized that some of the stuff we registered for we didnt really need and brought alot back and got things we actually need. Also at my first shower I got mostly clothes then for my second we ended up getting more from the registry.
  • Ugh!  I remember that from my bridal shower.  There is a reason I didn't register for certain things, we already have them or didn't need them.  Yet we got tons of kitchen stuff that we didn't need because people would stick to the registry.  Luckily, since we are team green, I think we're going to get much more registry stuff since it's harder to buy clothes when you don't know the sex of the baby.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hopefully you'll get some gift receipts and anything you don't need/want you can take back. This way you can get what you really need instead. Unfortunately, a lot of people did not put gift receipts in with the gifts I received and it was a guessing game as to which store it came from. Luckily I figured out that the stuff was from Walmart and I was able to return it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At my first shower, only about 5 of the 24 people invited bought off of my BRU registry.  I had one person buy from BRU but not off our registry....we got some items from TJ Maxx for a girl (we're having a boy)....we got some clothes with no tags on that we are assuming came from Good Will (because this person is known to only shop there even though they are pretty well off)....and finally we got some items from the Dollar Store.  I mean, thanks for the gifts but come on people!!!

I know my shower this weekend will be better and that more people will shop off my registry!

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageelle980:

.we got some clothes with no tags on that we are assuming came from Good Will (because this person is known to only shop there even though they are pretty well off)...

ummm ewwww...totally fine if you want to pick up things there...all for saving money...but to give it as a gift!?  no way!  You can find cheap stuff at Wal-Mart...it's not about the money but don't buy ppl used stuff. 

• I know exactly what you mean. I was also registered at BRU and Target and people only got me 10 items off my registry. I was so upset that I spent so much time working on that just for people to ignore it.

The good news here is that I didn't receive too many items that I didn't like or need. Although there were a few multiples and it's easy to exchange with your gift receipt or registry list. And you can get the items you actually want instead of "dealing" with the items you've received. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I hear you! Sixteen blankets! One was made of wool....because babies love scratchy fabric???
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"