Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Feeling bad I gave DD the name we chose....

Our daughter's name is Ashlyn Claire. I think Ashlyn is a beautiful Irish name and not widely used (we are Irish). Claire is a family name on both sides of the family.

My issue is I didn't think through the fact that I would be correcting everyone when they ask my DD's name. As soon as I tell someone her name they go to say hi to "ashley. While ashley is a nice name too it's not my DD's name so I am constantly correcting people and it just makes things awkward in public. People hear "ash" and assume the rest of what I said was "ley" and not "lyn".... *sigh*

I feel bad that I am the reason DD will have to live with correcting her name for life! Uggh! Will she hate me forever? Anyone else have a minor regret over LO's name?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers imagePrince Spaghetti Night imageXO My Funny Valentine XO

Re: Feeling bad I gave DD the name we chose....

• Options
    That's okay. People butcher my last name even after I tell them how to say it. It's freaking ridiculous but you get used to it, even though it's incredibly annoying.
    Sometimes it's okay to follow. (Picture is a clicky)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Don't feel bad, stuff like that happens ALL THE TIME! My name is Jazmyn and people I've known for a while always seem to call me Jessica. Some people say jaz "mine". Lol really though, don't feel bad!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

People butcher my name to.  Its pronounced like Kayla, but people say K i-la and kaylee.

As for DS, I don't regret naming him after his daddy, but my grandpa wants to call him Johnny, and MIL wants to call him JJ, john boy, and JC... I hate it.  I call him John or Jr. thats it!

ETA: DH is John and people used to call him Jonathan in School... its not Jonathan its John and it pisses him off. 

• Options

I'm Christie and I've been called Chrissy, Kristin, Christina, Crystal, Missy, Trista, Krista, etc.- not to mention the numerous ways you can spell my name.

I can promise you I'm hardly scarred :) I just correct people who get it wrong and move on (if it's even worth correcting, most of the time I just let it go if it's someone I won't see again)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I probably would have a different name for dd if I did it over again. Everyone assumes her name is Alexis not Alexandra. It annoys me. Its hard to bc we just picked a name we liked this time where for ds he's named after family- so its different.
    imageimage
    Married 8.13.2005, M/C 12/8/06- 5 weeks, M/C 2/27/07- 7 weeks, M/C w/ D&C 8/10/09-6.5 weeks *Charles Lawrence born 5/2/08 @ 3:14am, 7lb 8oz, 20.5 inches. Clomid, Crinone and baby aspirin. *Alexandra Claire born 9/14/10 @ 9:52am 6lb 14oz, 20.5 inches. Femara, Crinone and baby aspirin. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

My DD's name is Alexandria, and already people have called her Alexandra. I don't think it's too big of a deal and I have no regrets whatsoever. I love her name and it suits her. Don't feel bad! People often mistake my name for something else as well, but it's never really bothered me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    DS is named Conrad and a ton of people repeatedly call him Connor.  I don't think it's that big of a deal.  I'm a Christina and am generally called everything under the sun.  Chrissy, Christie, Christine, Kristin, etc.  It hasn't ever really bothered me.
  • Options
    My name is very common, Laura, and I get called Laurie ALL the time.  Ashlyn isn't all that uncommon, people just say what they think they hear or read.  She will be fine, there are a lot worse names out there and Ashlyn is very pretty!  Don't let it annoy you, it is far more embarrassing for the person saying it than for you to have to correct them.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    a little bit of life : A blog about the life of a working, crafting, adventuring family of 4.
  • Options
    Honestly, I think some people really get off correcting others on their name.  Makes them feel unique.  I think no matter what we name our LO's (common name, unique name, common name with unik spelling)... their affinity for their name will largely be determined by their personality.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I think Ashlyn is beautiful. Our DD is Aubrie and people mix it up with Audrey. And I know by spelling it with an 'ie' on the end, she'll have people spell it Aubrey. But my name is Stephanie and we wanted the endings to match.

No regrets here...

BFP#1- 2/12/10 DD born 10/20/10
     BFP#2- 7/27/13 EDD- 4/5/13 CP 8/4/13 @ 5weeks1day
     BFP#3- 12/1/13 EDD- 8/10/14

• Options
    I correct people all the time for both kid's names.  DS#1 is Elier (my husbands name) so not only do I have to say it but I also have to spell it most of the time.  DS#2 is Nikolai.  My own MIL calls him Nicolas (it's easier than Nikolai in spanish as they don't speak any english).  Whatever, it is what it is.  I hate the way Nikolai looks when using all capitol letters. oh well, I used the k instead of the traditional c because my name is Nicole and I didnt want them to be almost exactly the same.
  • Options

Ashlyn is a beautiful name!

Our DD's name is Anna, and we get, "Hi Hannah!" all the time.  Even with the most common names you still can't win!

• Options

You can't really avoid it, unfortunately. MY DH's name is Bart (for Bartosz) and people think he says "Mark".

I think it's a gorgeous name and she'll learn to correct people too.

imageimage

imageimage

image  image

• Options

DD's name is "Rylee", and most people are surprised when we tell them the spelling. We thought that "Riley" could have been for either gender and we wanted it to read more feminine. We figured that, with that name, people would be asking for clarification on the spelling anyways. I don't regret the spelling at all, I still like it.Everyone's name could be mistaken in some way or another. My name is Jennifer (I go by Jen) and people call me "Jan" all the time.

I think the name "Ashlyn" is beautiful. :-)

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?...But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:26-27&33-34
  • Options

My niece's name is Ashlyn spelled the same way. And yeah to this day she still corrects people. She is 13. BUT dont feel bad you gave her the name, feel bad that people are too ignorant to read or listen. You can always do what my SIL does...when someone called her Ashley after being repeadedly told that wasnt her name Lindsay started calling people by another name. There was a little girl in Ash's class who always called her Ashley just to be a brat so Lindsay started calling the little girl Fred. It only took a few times of that before she quit calling her Ashley.

• Options
    this is the norm these days. everyone in her school will have to do it. my brother's name is TY and people ask him how to spell it. it's just the way it is.
  • Options

Don't feel bad, these things come along with life!!  My name is Rachael and a lot of people seem to get that mixed up with Amy?!?!?!?!?!?  Huh?

• Options

I don't regret my son's name at all. I have loved the name Caleb for about 15 years. 

My name's Melissa, and in school, I'd be constantly called Michelle. I do hate it when people call me Missy though. I loathe that name (in reference to myself that is...I don't have a problem if anyone else is called Missy). I only allow family members to get away with calling me that. Everyone else I correct.

• Options
    Yeah, I don't think you should feel bad either... if you have to correct them That's on them for not listening the first time. I have to correct people all the time with all my kids name's, and I really don't think they are that unusual.
  • Options

imagejazmynalex:
    Don't feel bad, stuff like that happens ALL THE TIME! My name is Jazmyn and people I've known for a while always seem to call me Jessica. Some people say jaz "mine". Lol really though, don't feel bad!

This does happen all the time -- people just don't pay attention.

My name is Chrissie, but people constantly hear it as "Christie." Even after I correct them, they STILL hear "Christie." I finally had to start saying, "No 'T'."

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Sophie already gets SophiA all the time. I knew this would happen when I picked the name, though, so it doesn't bother me.

A friend of mine who gave his daughter a very uncommon name that will likely be misspelled and mis-heard often told me that he thinks it builds character and teaches a kid to be assertive. I don't know about all that, but it is one way of looking at it, I suppose. :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

For me I'm always correcting the spelling of DDs name in addition to her name itself.  It's Ainsleigh but people seem to hear Ashley for some reason when I tell them her name and when I have to spell it for them I start with A-I-N-S and they try to finish with L-E-Y and then I have to correct them.  We chose to use the Gaelic spelling because we preferred it to the regular one and I have no regrets at all, I love it!

I have had to correct the spelling of my name my whole life and you get used to it.

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

I'm not 100% in love with DS2's name like I was with DS1's name, but my DH really likes it, and it has grown on me.

I have a name that's virtually always mispronounced, and it hasn't scarred me, I promise!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    imageheckysue:

BTW my family is Irish and I have a cousin Ashlyn spelled Aisling.  So at least you didn't do that lol.

Aisling was our second name choice (didn't seem to fit DD once we met her), but we wanted to use the alternate spelling of Aislynn.

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

imagelauranrudy:
    My name is very common, Laura, and I get called Laurie ALL the time.  Ashlyn isn't all that uncommon, people just say what they think they hear or read.  She will be fine, there are a lot worse names out there and Ashlyn is very pretty!  Don't let it annoy you, it is far more embarrassing for the person saying it than for you to have to correct them.

Funny....my name is Lori and people are always calling me Laura.  I corrected a guy once and said, no its Lori.  He said "Lori, Laura...same thing".  So, my reply to him was "OK Jerra!". (His name was Jerry)  "clearly its not the same thing"

• Options

Don't feel bad, that is the name you and DH fell in love with and that is all that matters. 

I think you can have a pretty basic, in social standards that is, name and someone is bound to mess it up along the way.  My name is Stacey and people ALWAYS spell it wrong or even call me Stephanie.  It happens... 

My DD's name is Ryann, pronounced Ryan (yes usually a boys name, flame away), and people always pronounce it Ry-anne.  If its someone over the phone they think she is a boy.  If she does not like it when she is older than she can always use her middle name.  I still love it and really that is all that matters IMO.

• Options
    imageneece28:

imagelauranrudy:

Funny....my name is Lori and people are always calling me Laura.  I corrected a guy once and said, no its Lori.  He said "Lori, Laura...same thing".  So, my reply to him was "OK Jerra!". (His name was Jerry)  "clearly its not the same thing"

haha, good one! I think people just don't pay attention. I've been called Annie numerous times(my name is Amy)... my son gets Chance, Chaz, and Chad all the time, I litterally have to tell people, "it's Chase, like to run after." Oi!
  • Options

We're in the same boat.

DH always like the name Ryan, but preferred the spelling Ryne, like former Cub Ryne Sandberg.  People always want to pronounce it "Rine" instead of just the common Ryan.  It's actually supposed to be pronounced "Rine", but we picked it, we can pronounce it any way we want :)  If you say it fast and don't think about it, it sounds the same.  But I have to correct people all. the. time.  A nurse at the pedi's officed even said Renee one time!  Um, no.

My maiden name makes absolutely no sense at all.  It is spelled Koch and pronounced like it has an F on the end instead of a CH.  I'm used to correcting people, so I don't mind correcting people about DH at all :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    That happens to my DD too. Everytime. I say Kyla and everybody either says what or Kayla.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"