LGBT Parenting
Options

Advice on timing 2 natural IUIs and 1 ICI in a cycle?

My partner and I are going to try in March for our first child.  I've been charting and we feel like we have a good amount of data to know when I'll ovulate.

We plan to perform 2 natural IUIs and 1 ICI in that cycle with frozen sperm at home.  

Can anyone out there offer any recommendations on the timing for these?

We were thinking that we'd do the 1st IUI within 6-8 hours after the first positive OPK test.

We're wondering if we should do the ICI in between these 2 IUIs or have it be the final insemination we perform.

Any advice is much appreciated! 

Re: Advice on timing 2 natural IUIs and 1 ICI in a cycle?

• Options

My doctors advice was to do the ICI first.  The unwashed sperm lasts a lot longer.  If you are sure you will know when you will surge, you can even do the ICI the morning you know the positive will come up.  Then go in for the frist IUI that day and then another the next day.  According to my doctor the 24-48 ovulation window isn't necessarily so and you can actually ovulate as early as 4 hours after the test turns positive.  

I tested negative (both with the lines and the digital) at 9am.  Called my doctor and told him I wanted to come in (I always surge on day 14).  By noon my test came up positive and I had my IUI at 1pm.  I went in the next morning at 9am and had another and I am pregnant!  But in all honesty, it the timing really depends on your ovulation.  If you 'go' quick, it is best to have it waiting there or an IUI soon after.  If you don't ovulate for 48 hours.. well, obviously it is better to wait. 

There are some women on here that only had 1 IUI, about 24 hours after the surge and only 1 cycle and got pregnant!  It took me 6 cycles.  I think, sometimes, it is just luck of the draw.  So my MOA was put as much as I can in there I the first 24 hours and hope for the best! 

Good luck!!  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

https://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/iui.html

I don't know whether your insurance ever covers infertility, but if it does it will count CYCLES of iui/ici's, not months.  I only mention it in case things haven't worked a few months out and you will be out more money than you would have been if you did one or two inseminations each cycle.

Good luck! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My Partner and I were VERY lucky and conceived on the first try.  We did the insemination at the Dr's office but we actually did it on the day before (according to our charting) the OPK.  Something to think about because I think even frozen sperm will live a few days after insemination. Our PRN's opinion is that it is better to have the sperm waiting on the egg, not the other way around.

Regardless of what you decide, GOOD LUCK!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"