Baby Names
Options

Rhian or Rian?

We have decided on a girl name but can't decide how to spell it. The middle name will be Elizabeth.

THanks!

Re: Rhian or Rian?

• Options
    How is it pronounced?
  • Options
    Sorry - like "Ryan" but a girl version of it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I know this is the feminine version of Ryan, but it's pronounced differently, right? Like ree-ann, not like Ryan.

I'd go with the original spelling, which I THINK is Rhian, but I'm not sure. The name is obscure enough that, either way, she'll probably have to spell it out for people every now and then.

ETA: I see you're planning to pronounce it like Ryan. I'd just spell it Ryan, then. That would be the least confusing.

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Rian.  I look at Rhian and I want to pronounce it ree-on.  
  • Options
    When I see Rhian, I think its short for Rhianna or Rhiannon, and therefore pronounce it ree-ann. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I grew up with a girl named Rhyan (pronounced like Ryan). 
    image image

• Options

Please don't name a little girl Ryan, however you spell it.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

NO!!!! YUCK YUCK

rhian(looks like rhino), Rian(looks like rain spelled wrong), and Ryan is a boy name. IMHO

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If you want the name Ryan just spell it this way.  I pronounce those two like Ree-ann.  It also drives me crazy when people name their daughters Ryan but spell it Ryann.  That to me is ry-ann.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Options

sorry, but PP have said what I was thinking.

Ryan is a boy's name.  I am not a fan of boy names for girls.  Sorry.

I would pick a different name.

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Rhian for me. I know it doesn't have much basis, but I know a girl named, Rhian and it's a Welsh name. Granted, Ree Ann is how it's pronounced in its country of origin, but it means 'maiden' and can easily have a Ryan pronunciation in the States.

RHIAN
    Usage: Welsh
    Derived from Welsh rhiain meaning "maiden".

Rian however, is still a legit, masculine variant of Ryan.

RIAN
    Usage: English
    Pronounced: RIE-?n  [key]
    Variant of RYAN

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Options
    imageshellybird101:

NO!!!! YUCK YUCK

rhian(looks like rhino), Rian(looks like rain spelled wrong), and Ryan is a boy name. IMHO

This is what I was thinking.

• Options

imagejdoe14:

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous IMHO. If you are going to use a masculine name (which I don't have a problem with) then own it, be proud of it, and use the regular spelling of Ryan.

If you want a feminine name then choose a more feminine name to begin with. Don't try to be cre8tive and attempt to feminize a masculine name by misspelling it.

• Options
    imagemj.reilly:

Ryan. Changing the spelling to be "you-neek" is just making the kids life harder. Changing the spelling does not change the fact that she has a masculine name. Use the correct masculine spelling and flaunt it.

If you start changing the spelling to something like Rhian ? you are changing the name all together.

Rhian is a real name. A Welsh name, pronounce hri-AN.

RHIAN

Usage: Welsh

Derived from Welsh rhiain meaning "maiden".

So if you want to pronounce it Rye-an, spell it correctly. OR use Rhian an pronounce it correctly, for the love of Pete. You could also go for Rhiannon (hri-AN-ahn).

The end. Oh, and Ryan is terrible for a girl.

Every single word of this. And Ryan is terrible for a girl x2 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageHappyMrsK:

imagejdoe14:

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous IMHO. If you are going to use a masculine name (which I don't have a problem with) then own it, be proud of it, and use the regular spelling of Ryan.

If you want a feminine name then choose a more feminine name to begin with. Don't try to be cre8tive and attempt to feminize a masculine name by misspelling it.

I agree with this completely.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    If you absolutely love the name, I say go for it. But spell it Ryan and not Rhian, Rian, or Ryann because people will constantly be saying it wrong.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    imageNanna:
    imageHappyMrsK:

imagejdoe14:

I agree with this completely.

I'll also jump on the bandwagon with this response.   

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Rian, only because the other one looks like it's pronounced another way. FWIW- I know a little boy that spells his name Rian. I don't think this spelling necessarily makes it feminine. If it were me, I would just spell it Ryan.

• Options
    I also know a guy named Rian, pronounced Ryan, so it doesn't look feminine to me.  I'm not a fan of boys names for girls.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Well, I think it's cute and I know a little girl named Ryan. The only thing I agree with the PPs about is to just spell it Ryan. I think Ryan Elizabeth is adorable!!
  • Options

I knew a girl in HS named Ryanne - I would just use Ryan if anything IMO.

Random thought but...I'm not a fan of boy names for girls but I just realized I know quite a few:

My sister - Lauren Kyle lastname (Kyle is a family middle name tradition)

HS Friends - Ryanne (girl) Kyle (girl) Shawn (girl), Ashton (girl) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think it should be spelled Ryanne.  Of course I am biased since that is my name:)  I pronounce it 'Ryan' just like a boy.  I love my name and the spelling of it.  Not just Ryan, not Ryann (looks like a typo), but Ryanne:)  Good luck, hope that you come up with a spelling that you love.
  • Options

imageryry1977:
    I think it should be spelled Ryanne.  Of course I am biased since that is my name:)  I pronounce it 'Ryan' just like a boy.  I love my name and the spelling of it.  Not just Ryan, not Ryann (looks like a typo), but Ryanne:)  Good luck, hope that you come up with a spelling that you love.

Found this:

RYANNE

Usage: English (Rare)

Pronounced: rie-AN  [key]

Feminine variant of RYAN
  • Options
    i hate silent letters. no offense.
  • Options
    We were going to name our third child Ryan *if it had been a boy.*  I had several people suggest we use that name for our baby girl, but that's just so NMS.  Especially because we already have two boys, I didn't want people to assume we have THREE boys upon hearing their names (and I'd never change the spelling).    So for your original question of which spelling to use, I wouldn't use either of those, sorry!
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • Options
    I like masculine names for a girl which makes me part of the minority. I'd spell it Ryan.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If you're going to do the disservice of giving your little girl a boys name, the least you can do is spell it properly.  Ryan.

Shudder.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"