Indiana Babies
Options

ND girls

Tuition

And with this, we will continue to tell Ella that ND is just a football and basketball team, and isnt' an actual college where she can enroll.

Indifferent 

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: ND girls

• Options

Scholarship!!!

Wouldnt you get a discount if you are still working there?

• Options
    DH is still hoping Raegan gets a full ride soccer scholarship to ND! I can't imagine what it will cost when she goes to college in like 17 years. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    One day I'll get a job there so it will solve the tuition problem!  Tongue Tied
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Holy CRAP!!!

My SIL's cousin plays football at ND...lucky for him, he is on scholarship!

Photobucket
  • Options

Dude... maybe I need to go work for them... sweep floors or something, even...  As it is, I feel like my student loans are stifling!  Is this really maintainable ND?  Don't we have a huge endowment? 

At least it still isn't as bad as GW... I think their tuition is approaching (if it hasn't already passed) 70K/year.  Indifferent

• Options

Indifferent

Yowsers.  Tuition and room and board here is less than just the room and board at ND.  Seriously, you could go to 4 years at Johnson for the cost of 1 at ND.  

• Options
    Maureen i actually dont work there...but even if i did its now a 50% discount instead of free like it was for years. still $26k! my unioversity is about $18k/yr. bah still so much money!
  • Options
    Indifferent
    Michael & Ashley . 9.19.2008 . http://bartoblog.com

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I can't even imagine.  The college I went to is now $24k/yr.  When I went there it was $18k/yr
  • Options

I mean, compared to other top-tier universities it's not completely unreasonable. In comparison. And ND meets 100% of the financial need of its students (including loans). But still.

If either Brian or I keep working at GVSU, our kids will get 1/2 off tuition here, too. As it stands right now, we're already paying the equivalent of a year's tuition in day care expenses, so it's kind of empowering to know that we can pay college tuition!

• Options
    imageNDwife07:

I mean, compared to other top-tier universities it's not completely unreasonable. In comparison. And ND meets 100% of the financial need of its students (including loans). But still.

If either Brian or I keep working at GVSU, our kids will get 1/2 off tuition here, too. As it stands right now, we're already paying the equivalent of a year's tuition in day care expenses, so it's kind of empowering to know that we can pay college tuition!

Yeah but man - what's wrong with those top-tiers? I honestly don't think they offer students anything they can't get at a much cheaper price somewhere else. Even if you meet 100% of your students' financial aid needs, are you really doing them a service by leaving them hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt after four measly years? 

(I know you're in the field too, Lauren, so don't feel the need to answer my rhetorical questions! ;) )

• Options

And this is why I plan to just work at the university where my kid(s) go to school! More realistic than saving up the cost of college in 18 years, especially given that I already work in Higher Ed.

My mom has worked at ND for 25 years and I am still kicking myself for turning down a free ride because I wanted to go "away" to college where I paid tuition. But their grandfathered in tuition reimbursement plan is so great that after my mom worked there a certain number of years ( I think it was 15) they paid 30% of the value of ND tuition for me to attend another university. It paid for my study abroad.

And everyone qualifies there, regardless of their job. My cousin got a free ND education because her mother worked as a janitor. I think that is nice to do for their staff level employees. Of course you still have to get admitted and have the grades.

• Options
    imageSweetHomeIN:
    imageNDwife07:

Yeah but man - what's wrong with those top-tiers? I honestly don't think they offer students anything they can't get at a much cheaper price somewhere else. Even if you meet 100% of your students' financial aid needs, are you really doing them a service by leaving them hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt after four measly years? 

(I know you're in the field too, Lauren, so don't feel the need to answer my rhetorical questions! ;) )

No, ITA Lindsey. Don't get me wrong - I had an amazing college experience and truly feel that ND was the best place for me. I'll even go all cliche on you and say that I bleed Blue & Gold. 

But in today's world I'm just not sure it's realistic for most families and students. I'm starting to think it depends on one's major and intended career field. There are majors/careers where institutional prestige carries more weight than in others.

I mean, holy_fuck, I could have been an admissions counselor no matter what school I went to and no matter what my GPA was in high school or college. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"