Cincinnati Babies

***superchicy***

Saw your comment on my post below about not being able to do hormonal BC.

Was wondering if you've talked to your Ob about the patch (OrthoEvra).

I had horrible reactions when I was on the pill, but when the patch came out my previous family doctor recommended it. It's a different combination of hormones, plus the way it's delivered thru the skin affects your system differently.

I was able to use it effectively with very little side effects (excessive monthly bloating, that's it).

But that's one of the reasons we chose Mirena as well. My choices are pretty much the patch or an IUD.
And one of the reasons I get upset when people talk about taking the patch off the market due to more severe side effects than the pill. For some of us, we don't have the option of other hormonal methods, so maybe we think it's worth the risk, you know?

Anyway, just wanted to mention that as a possible option. Not sure what your issues are with hormonal BC, but it might be worth asking about next time you have the BC discussion w/ your doc.

Re: ***superchicy***

• Thanks for the suggestion!  I get migraines and was on Nuvaring for 5 years. I was fine for 4 years and suddenly started getting migraines every week, and they'd last 3-4 days, the meds wouldn't touch them.  I was on like 4 different drugs to try to control the migraines and nothing was working.  As soon as I got of BC, they went away. 

I would love to be on something hormonal again, I loved Nuvaring, but I'm too scared that it will kick up my migraines again.  My OB even tried to sway to Mirena, and I was really tempted, but the though of those migraines was enough to make me choose Paraguard and deal with heavy AF rather than risk it. 

• Butting in-- I used to be on the OrthoEvra Patch too and LOVED it! I was on it for probably 4-5 years. I had a lot of problems w/ BC pills making me nauseous, making my periods worse, etc. I also tried the NuvaRing for about 8 months but that messed with my emotions pretty bad and killed my sex drive (Sorry TMI). I would definitely look into the patch, if I were to ever go back on BC pills (which I wont now due to religious convictions) it would definitely be the patch plus its so easy b/c you only have to think about 1x/week instead of every day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I will look into it more.  I like my IUD but I'm sick of the cramping and other issues it brings.  I may be able to find more on the internet about it and migraines and see if it looks like an option.  I guess worst case I try it and end up back with Paraguard.  Thanks for all the info!
  • I looked it up online and it looks like it isn't an option for me:

"Do not use Ortho Evra if you are pregnant or if you have recently had a baby. Do not use Ortho Evra if you have a history of stroke or blood clot, circulation problems (especially if caused by diabetes), a hormone-related cancer such as breast or uterine cancer, abnormal vaginal bleeding, liver disease or liver cancer, severe high blood pressure, migraine headaches, a heart valve disorder, or a history of jaundice caused by birth control pills. Using hormones can increase your risk of blood clots, stroke, or heart attack, especially if you smoke and are older than 35. "

I have both of those.  Blah.  Oh well.  At least my IUD isn't a total PITA and I've had a good experience so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"