Cincinnati Babies

POLL: Age gap between kids...

[poll]
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: POLL: Age gap between kids...

• 34 minutes! Wink

But if we were going to have more kids I'd say 2 years. 

PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #2 - 12/9/09 After being on bedrest for 10 weeks due to TTTS and hospital bedrest for 4 weeks due to PPROM, my sticky babies are here! Born at 32 weeks!!
  • Ideally, 2 to 2.5 years IMO.  But what do I know?  DS is 17 years older than DD and 2.5 years later, we are still waiting for #3 to show up.  Sooo...there is no right answer, and no matter how well you have it planned out, life may throw a wrench into your plans.  Start trying earlier than you plan it.  It can take longer than expected. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I personally think 3 years is perfect. However, financially, that wouldn't work for us, so we are looking at having almost 5 years between ours if the timing works out as we're planning. Who knows. I think it's a crapshoot. You can have kids be five years apart and be best friends, or you can have kids be two years apart and fight like cats and dogs their whole lives. You just never know. I think you have to do what's right for YOUR family.
  • You're scaring me Amanda.... Stick out tongue
    Welcome to the world Finley Michael - born 2/13/2010 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers pregnancy
    Baby Sister is coming soon!
  • Also... I can't answer your poll because I have NO IDEA!!  I used to think 2 years would be perfect, but I am not ready to be pregnant again! :)
    Welcome to the world Finley Michael - born 2/13/2010 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers pregnancy
    Baby Sister is coming soon!
  • My kids are almost exactly 2 years apart (we missed it by two weeks). While this is doable I think 3 years is a better spread because they are close enough to be buddies and share interests but the older one is more independent and self-sufficient when the little one is a baby. But this is all personal opinion of course. 

I am 4 years behind my next sibling and I always felt that spread was too large. But I am sure you will hear from people who think 4 years is a perfect spread. I think whatever your family ends up with will feel right to you. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageJessica&Brett:
    Also... I can't answer your poll because I have NO IDEA!!  I used to think 2 years would be perfect, but I am not ready to be pregnant again! :)
    I cannot imagine having another already even though that was what we originally thought we would do. Now, we think they will be more like 3 years apart. The doctors had other plans for us so that is okay. We just want a healthy momma and a healthy baby this time with a little less worry and trouble with pregnancy and preemie.
  • My sons are 5 1/2 years apart. We always talked about having kids closer in age but that plan did not work out. I do have to say to the bigger age gap is that my 7 year old is so loving and protective of his baby brother and my 2 year old  adores and loves his big brother more than anything. We are TTC now and at this rate the age gap will be greater than 3 years which is fine. I love the time I got to spend with my oldest for so many years and I get that same time with my little one while big brother is in school, so for us it has worked out great.
  • Our situation is a little different because my OB would like me to avoid being PG in the summer next time, but we're going to TTC this summer, so if it works out they'll be 18-20 months apart. If we miss that window, we'll have to wait and start trying again when they'll be more like 2 1/2 years apart.  

• These 2 will be 25 months apart.. If we go for #3, we will try for about 18 months apart.. Mostly its my age (will be 35 in May.. Eeeek!) but my personal preference is to have them all young and in diapers at the same time...
    The kids I nanny for are 3.5 years apart.. It was rough when the baby was bone. The 3.5 yr old was not only used to being HHS center of attention, but also used to going places, playmates, etc. We couldn't do that when the baby was little and it was rough on her. So for me, too long of a space IMO. But then again, as ppl said..you can't always control it. I'm just talking ideal for our family.
  • I really want another LO but I am so not ready to be pregnant again, and financially we are not ready either.  I think 3-4 years is a good gap though, and like teacherjess said, you can have siblings close and they hate each other, or they may love each other.  You never know.
  • I don't have kids so no real personal experience other than that with my own siblings.  I'll say somehow I always thought 2 years apart seemed like the perfect age...for the buddy factor like pp's mentioned.  My brother is 5.5 years younger and sister is 9 years younger than me. Growing up I was not really close to either of them but as we are getting older I find the gap isn't as big of a deal.  I was always a little envious of my younger siblings closeness, though.  That's definitely something I'd want for my kids :).  At the same time, when you're older you can help out the parents.  I babysat sometimes or helped with weekly chores so mom and dad could focus their energies on other parental duties and I'm sure my parents appreciated that.

FWIW I'm a little obsessive when it comes to planning all things in life and actually have a spreadsheet master plan for target years to have children relative to my years with the company/retirement, anniversary years, and potential vacation destinations.  I know you can't plan everything and so it actually makes me wonder whether I should consider starting earlier than expected...you just never know...

• imagel.m.k.:

Our situation is a little different because my OB would like me to avoid being PG in the summer next time, but we're going to TTC this summer, so if it works out they'll be 18-20 months apart.  

People called us crazy (heck, some still do); but the 20 month gap between DS1 and DS2 has been nothing short of AMAZING, so far.  No jealousy issues at all.  They absolutely adore each other. 

• My one brother and I are 13 months apart. Life was crazy for sure but we were totally BFFs. We took turns playing with Barbies and trucks, inseperable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"