LGBT Parenting
Options

2 Mommies

Hello everyone.  My name is Jennifer.  My partner Anna and I just found out we are expecting.  I am desperate for some legal advice.  We live in VA?  Anna is carrying.  Do I have any legal rights to the child?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: 2 Mommies

• Options

You will need to check with your state. Does your state recognize or offer domestic partnerships?  Worse case is you will have to do a second parent adoption. You should do a second parent adoption anyhow just incase you move from VA. 

Well that is my opinion.  

We are legally married in CA and domestic partnered there and will have our children there despite currently living in NV.  I know if we stay in CA i have legal rights and will be on birth cert  but We will do a 2nd parent adoption just in case - god forbid we have to move to Florida for some reason. (Florida does not favor same sex couples what so ever ) as a matter of fact a few years back it was illegal for gay people to even foster not sure if the law has changed but ...its crazy there!

Its better safe than sorry ... again check with your state.

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    No.We actually moved to Maryland from Virginia before we had our kids because of the family laws.  There are no second parent adoptions in Virginia (even if your child is born in DC or Maryland.) I don't know where in VA you live, but if you are in NoVa, PM me and I can give you the name of some attorneys who can answer your questions.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

First off congrats!!  Secondly, I totally feel for you!  We live in Ohio, and the laws here do not favor us either.  We're looking into seeing a lawyer as well.  Our state doesnt allow B to be on the birth certificate nor to do 2nd parent adopting so we're going to have to see someone to go over our options.  We found out a lot online through our state laws site.  Good luck, keep us posted!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"