Military Families
Options

Anyone use Wilford Hall, Walter Reed, ect for IVF?

DH is military and I am looking into getting on the wait list for IVF at Wilford Hall.  Apparently it is impossible to find out any information though until you are in the program.  So I am looking for some info:

1. How much did an IVF w/ ICSI cost? I hear it was more of a "donation" of about $4000?  Do they provide meds or is that extra?

2. How long did it actually take to find out if you get into the program?

3. What are even the criteria to get into the program?

4. Once you are in the program, then how long did it take to begin treatments? I heard there was a 6 mo-12 mo long waiting list!!! 

5. If you live hours (I live 4 hours away from Wilford Hall) away from clinic then do you have the option of going somewhere local for monitoring?

Thank!  I am have been getting such a run around from the these people and it is so hard to get a hold of anyone who knows anything!! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

After 21 cycles, and severe MFI, we finally did it with IVF #1 w/ICSI! Nico arrived 12/3/08!!!
TTC for #2: IVF w/ICSI #2-4/17/10-BFN; IVF w/ICSI #3; 7/4/10-BFP!!! Beta #1- 96; Beta #2-528; Beta #3- 7371; 6w,5d-blited ovum=D&C :(
IUI #2 1/10/11-BFN; IUI #3 2/18/11-BFN
IVF #4 w/ICSI & PICSI ER 5/13/11, ET 5/1/118-BFP!! Natalee arrived on 1/23/12!!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Pregnancy Blog: Miracles Can Happen
Parenthood Blog: The Adventures of Nico & Natalee

Re: Anyone use Wilford Hall, Walter Reed, ect for IVF?

• Options

I didn't do IVF, but I did IUI, as well as diagnosis and surgery before that, through Wilford Hall.  The only question that I can answer with any certainty is number 5.  All monitoring is done at WH.  I was at Fort Hood at the time, and drove 4 hours round trip several times a month, suuuuper early in the morning since you had to be there at 0600-0630 for bloodwork, and their IF clinic hours were right after that.  During their IVF cycles there were people from all over the country in the waiting room with me.  I met a few really nice couples that had flown in from California, and were just staying in San Antonio for a few weeks since they had to be there so often.

If you call (and are actually able to get ahold of someone, which was damn near impossible when I was there 3 years ago) they should be able to answer the other questions for you.  At least the ones about when their IVF cycles are and what the wait lists look like, and I would assume they could tell you the costs as well.

Good luck!

• Options

It isn't impossible to get info.

Go here: https://www.wramc.army.mil/Patients/healthcare/obgyn/gyn/REI/ivf/Pages/default.aspx

Scroll down and click "IVF manual".  That will give you tons of info.  More than we can give.

Or, you can call 202-782-3492 and ask them to mail you the latest IVF information (costs, process, etc).  This is Walter Reed's number but I'm sure if you go on Wilford Hall's site that they have a similar phone line.  The people at WRAMC were nothing but nice and helpful.

FWIW, I didn't go through Walter Reed for IVF (I did a cycle at Shady Grove in DC).  But I did do all of my IF workup there and considered using their IVF services.  I have several friends with IVF babies from there though :).

• Loading the player...
  • Options

1. How much did an IVF w/ ICSI cost? I hear it was more of a "donation" of about $4000?  Do they provide meds or is that extra?  When I inquired back in 2007 the cost was about $5,500.  I don't remember if this included ICSI or not.  It does not include freezing.  It is not a "donation".  They require the payment Wink.  They basically are giving you the services "at cost" and not profiting.

2. How long did it actually take to find out if you get into the program? As long as you have TTC for a year or have had a referral for a dx IF issue, it is your choice to get into the program.  It isn't a panel or anything difficult.  You are referred to them, they chat with you about options (IUI, IVF, etc) then you choose.  Your money, your body, your choice.

3. What are even the criteria to get into the program?  See above.  TTC one year or dx IF issue.  I'm not sure if they exclude people who have had tubes tied or vasectomy from the program. 

4. Once you are in the program, then how long did it take to begin treatments? I heard there was a 6 mo-12 mo long waiting list!!!  Back when I inquired there was 0 wait time.  The catch is that they only cycle 3-4 times per year so even if you are in a no-wait situation you still might have to wait a few months to get started.  They cycle in batches to keep costs down.

5. If you live hours (I live 4 hours away from Wilford Hall) away from clinic then do you have the option of going somewhere local for monitoring?  No.  You must be present in the clinic for monitoring WITH a support "buddy" in tow.  This is one of the reasons we went with a civilian clinic.  The logistics of getting myself to WRAMC every morning for monitoring AND needing my DH (or another friend/family member with me) was very very difficult. 

MTF IVF programs are "no frills" (and they say so in their info packets).  Cattle call "one size fits all" style IVF.  They are successful, but you won't be getting the soothing music, yoga classes, and dim lighting that you get at civi clinics where you pay $20,000 per cycle.  You have to be ready for that.  To me, if I didn't have civi insurance that paid for my IVF cycle at my frilly clinic, I would have DEFINITELY gone to WRAMC and delt with the inflexibility for 4 weeks in order to do IVF so cheaply. 

I am surprised you are getting the run around.  I had a lot of luck with WRAMC.  The IVF nurses were amazing and when I decided to switch to a civi clinic they were equally awesome at getting my chart to the new doctor.  Leave messages, be patient, be polite - it will work out. 

• Options
    imagesweetheart18:

I am surprised you are getting the run around.  I had a lot of luck with WRAMC.  The IVF nurses were amazing and when I decided to switch to a civi clinic they were equally awesome at getting my chart to the new doctor.  Leave messages, be patient, be polite - it will work out. 

My experience of getting into the IVF program at WRAMC without having received prior IF treatment there was a lesson in frustration and there were times that I felt in was also a lesson in futility. The secretary is the gatekeeper and she takes her job VERY seriously but does not have all of the tools and resources (education?) she needs, should have OR, she may have been a bit over zealous. We braved what turned out to be a tropical storm to drive from Fort Lee to WRAMC, on a Saturday, so that DH could get blood drawn for tests we already had on file. The secretary could not see them (or did not understand what she was seeing) but the nurse who called me on Monday, two days later, said everything was in order and we were "in". When I asked about the results from the blood draw on Saturday, she said that those results were not even in the system and were unnecessary. So I can see that the OP may have trouble getting answers to her questions, though, as you linked, at least for WRAMC, there is a lot of information on line. She may be speaking more specifically to Wilford Hall, though, since she is in TX.

PPs are right about the "cattle call" "bare bones" process. There are no dim lights, hand holding, time to process. . . You are up EARLY (I, for one, had to shower before I had my morning meeting with the vag cam), you wait in lines, you make fast notes and are thankful that the cycle is costing a third to half as much as at a civilian clinic.

OP, I responded to your post on SaIF before I saw this over here.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Smudges, it looks like (from the ages of our kiddos) we were doing our IVF research and cycles around the same time :).  I wonder if we were every there together...

The only thing consistant about military medicine IME is inconsistancy.  It seems like some people have an easy time with places while others get the run around.  I think it is part and parcel to the gigantic HMO cost-saving model that Tricare is based on.  If you catch a doc or secretary or nurse on a good day in a good mood then you can really get a lot done and for a wonderful price.  If you catch them on a stressful day or a day where they have just been lectured on cost saving and being a good "gatekeeper" you can literally hit a very frustrating brick wall.  WRAMC and WH aren't competing for your business the way civilian IF clinics are...  So they are what they are and know they have the upper hand.  I can see how that could make things go south quickly for some people.  I don't think anyone understands how stressful IF is until they have been there.  This includes the doctors and nurses in the field.

That being said, I think it is important to go into these kinds of things with a positive attitude.  If you go in expecting a hard time, it will cloud your mood whether you know it or not.  Yes, it might suck.  Or it might be a piece of cake.  I will hope for the latter for you OP!

• Options
    Sweetheart, it does look like we may have crossed paths at WRAMC!

I agree with your post about inconsistencies and the importance of a positive attitude. In rereading my response, it does not "read" with my usual outlook on life which is much more positive. In my answer to the OP on SaIF, I did mention that once we were "in" things, from an administrative aspect, got MUCH better. In truth, they do need a strong gatekeeper for a military IVF clinic. I am certain that there is a significant weeding out process--folks for whom IVF is not the right or next step. And, there can be a fair amount of misinformation out there. The gatekeeper allows the medical staff to be able to do their job without having to wade through unscreened and vetted patients. I just wish that she had all the tools and access to support her in her role.

IF sucks. Aspects of being part of a military family can be challenging. IF and military life are not things we can readily change, but, we can process our negative emotions and do our best to keep a positive attitude. If it weren't for military supported IF clinics, I would not be a mother. I am very thankful that we were able to participate in the program at WRAMC. It was not always easy, seldom convenient, BUT worth every bit of it!
  • Options
    imagesweetheart18:

It isn't impossible to get info.

Go here: https://www.wramc.army.mil/Patients/healthcare/obgyn/gyn/REI/ivf/Pages/default.aspx

Scroll down and click "IVF manual".  That will give you tons of info.  More than we can give.

Or, you can call 202-782-3492 and ask them to mail you the latest IVF information (costs, process, etc).  This is Walter Reed's number but I'm sure if you go on Wilford Hall's site that they have a similar phone line.  The people at WRAMC were nothing but nice and helpful.

FWIW, I didn't go through Walter Reed for IVF (I did a cycle at Shady Grove in DC).  But I did do all of my IF workup there and considered using their IVF services.  I have several friends with IVF babies from there though :).

Yes, I have downloaded this IVF pamphlet,; however it only discusses what the process is for IVF (medically speaking).  It does not discuss any of criteria to get into the program or how to go about applying.  There is a number in this pamphelt, but the voicemail states they only call people back who are already in the program, and to call a different number for a new referral.  so when you call this other number you are directed to people who have no idea what you are talking about!  it is really insane.  I spent the better part of the day finding out what needed to be on the referral only to get it rejected.  Everyone has a different answer!

Thank you for your input and your help!!! I do appreciate it.

After 21 cycles, and severe MFI, we finally did it with IVF #1 w/ICSI! Nico arrived 12/3/08!!!
    TTC for #2: IVF w/ICSI #2-4/17/10-BFN; IVF w/ICSI #3; 7/4/10-BFP!!! Beta #1- 96; Beta #2-528; Beta #3- 7371; 6w,5d-blited ovum=D&C :(
    IVF #4 w/ICSI & PICSI ER 5/13/11, ET 5/1/118-BFP!! Natalee arrived on 1/23/12!!!!

• Options
    imagesweetheart18:

1. How much did an IVF w/ ICSI cost? I hear it was more of a "donation" of about $4000?  Do they provide meds or is that extra?  When I inquired back in 2007 the cost was about $5,500.  I don't remember if this included ICSI or not.  It does not include freezing.  It is not a "donation".  They require the payment Wink.  They basically are giving you the services "at cost" and not profiting.

2. How long did it actually take to find out if you get into the program? As long as you have TTC for a year or have had a referral for a dx IF issue, it is your choice to get into the program.  It isn't a panel or anything difficult.  You are referred to them, they chat with you about options (IUI, IVF, etc) then you choose.  Your money, your body, your choice.

3. What are even the criteria to get into the program?  See above.  TTC one year or dx IF issue.  I'm not sure if they exclude people who have had tubes tied or vasectomy from the program. 

4. Once you are in the program, then how long did it take to begin treatments? I heard there was a 6 mo-12 mo long waiting list!!!  Back when I inquired there was 0 wait time.  The catch is that they only cycle 3-4 times per year so even if you are in a no-wait situation you still might have to wait a few months to get started.  They cycle in batches to keep costs down.

5. If you live hours (I live 4 hours away from Wilford Hall) away from clinic then do you have the option of going somewhere local for monitoring?  No.  You must be present in the clinic for monitoring WITH a support "buddy" in tow.  This is one of the reasons we went with a civilian clinic.  The logistics of getting myself to WRAMC every morning for monitoring AND needing my DH (or another friend/family member with me) was very very difficult. 

MTF IVF programs are "no frills" (and they say so in their info packets).  Cattle call "one size fits all" style IVF.  They are successful, but you won't be getting the soothing music, yoga classes, and dim lighting that you get at civi clinics where you pay $20,000 per cycle.  You have to be ready for that.  To me, if I didn't have civi insurance that paid for my IVF cycle at my frilly clinic, I would have DEFINITELY gone to WRAMC and delt with the inflexibility for 4 weeks in order to do IVF so cheaply. 

Thank you for your repsonse!  It sound like the it easier to work with those at WRAMC as opposed to WH, but I am going to keep trying.

• Options
    If it makes you feel better, the first time I went to WRAMC for an appt (consult and some testing - HSG, SHG, etc) I had no idea where to go.  So I went to the info desk in the middle of the main pavilion and they looked at me like I had 8 heads when I told them I was looking for the RE Clinic or IVF program or whatever.  FINALLY someone overheard me and was like "oh, you go here...".  Thank goodness because I seriously was starting to wonder if I was finally going out of my mind Stick out tongue and had just imagined this military IF clinic out of thin air. 
  • Options

imagesweetheart18:
    If it makes you feel better, the first time I went to WRAMC for an appt (consult and some testing - HSG, SHG, etc) I had no idea where to go.  So I went to the info desk in the middle of the main pavilion and they looked at me like I had 8 heads when I told them I was looking for the RE Clinic or IVF program or whatever.  FINALLY someone overheard me and was like "oh, you go here...".  Thank goodness because I seriously was starting to wonder if I was finally going out of my mind Stick out tongue and had just imagined this military IF clinic out of thin air. 

Yeah, I had the same thing happen. I was supposed to go in for IF management and consult for PCOS continuing treatment. It was very confusing as things are always on the move there, especially now that things are moving to Belvoir and NNMC. 

Luckily my body decided to do it its own, but we were looking into IUI and IVF at WRAMC and we heard wonderful things from friends who had many more years of infertility than us.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I don't normally post here but I thought I would let you know that Womack Army Medical Center at Fort Bragg also has an IVF program.  I first contacted them in December 2009 and did my first IVF cycle in March 2010.  I had done much of my diagnostic testing prior to contacting them.  All I had to do was forward my records to them and get a referral from my PCM here at Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune.

We paid about $6500 for each cycle (our 2nd one was canceled prior to ER/ET and the money we paid was rolled over to the next cycle) but that also included having to do ICSI which was an additional cost.  Their waitlist is not long at all and the staff and the RE are wonderful.  If you want anymore info like contact numbers, feel free to PM me!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"