1st Trimester
Options

Deli sandwiches - is it ok to eat deli meat?

Deli sandwiches - is it ok to eat deli meat?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Deli sandwiches - is it ok to eat deli meat?

• Options

I just went to a food managment class and they talked alot about deli meat. A certain bacteria grows in deli meat that kills a fetus. You are actually safer to eat deli meat at a restaraunt than you are at your own home. Once a package of deli meat is opened, it has to be eaten within three days, otherwise you are at risk of eating that bacteria. Restaraunts tend to watch these kinds of things a lot better than we do at home.

Personally, I decided it is not worth the risk.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

You're supposed to heat the meat in the microwave until it steams. You can get toxoplasmosis from cold deli meat.

Honestly, I have had some cold turkey since being pregant and I'm sure I'll cheat a little in the future too. Turkey heated until it steams in the microwave just sounds gross.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Its not toxoplasmosis you need to worry about with meat unless your cat is crapping into your sandwich.

Its Listeria you need to worry about. Heres a link:

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/listeria.html

• Options
    This is a personal decision.  My dr's literature said to avoid or heat pre-packaged deli meat that you buy at the store due to the very small, but still present risk of listeria.  But that same literature says that freshly sliced deli products are just fine.  So, I get "fresh" sandwiches and don't buy the pre-packaged stuff when pregnant.  I will get a deli sandwich if I know it's from a place that slices their own meat each day. But it's up to you to determine what you feel comfortable with.  Some doctors say it doesn't matter.  Others say none at all.  Talk with yours and figure out what you want to do.
  • Options
    imagegbtc01:

Its not toxoplasmosis you need to worry about with meat unless your cat is crapping into your sandwich.

LOL!  This just made my day!

• Options

You will get Listeria from deli meat, toxoplasmosis is from feline fecal matter. 

I decided NOT worth the risk.  There have been other posts about this and someone linked to the Mayo Clinic research about it and it just isn't worth it.

• Options
    imagegbtc01:

LOL   :D

• Options
    imageBbelle88:

You're supposed to heat the meat in the microwave until it steams. You can get toxoplasmosis from cold deli meat.

Honestly, I have had some cold turkey since being pregant and I'm sure I'll cheat a little in the future too. Turkey heated until it steams in the microwave just sounds gross.

If you still want a cold sandwich, you can heat it in the microwave to kill the germs and then return it fridge until it is cold again. Best of both worlds, no listeria and still cold.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I'm of the opinion that everything can in some way hurt you or the baby, fruits have pesticides, sugar causes diabetes, artificial sweetener can cause cancer. Apparently we're supposed to survive 10 months on water. I just eat what I feel like eating. I did that with my first pregnancy and she turned out fine. The only thing I was careful about was fish. This time around I can't even smell fish so I should be safe.
  • Options

I had the occasional deli sandwich during my first pregnancy. I've had one already since my BFP last week.

• Options
    imagegbtc01:

I am laughing so hard over this! Oops, I meant Listeria :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

You're not suppose to unless you heat it up in the microwave. Personally, once I hit the second trimester, my doctor said a Subway sandwich every now and then won't hurt so I've eaten a few turkey sandwiches since I've hit the second tri.

If I were you, I'd stay away until you're further along in your second trimester. 

• Options
    imageMsCrispy:
    imageBbelle88:

If you still want a cold sandwich, you can heat it in the microwave to kill the germs and then return it fridge until it is cold again. Best of both worlds, no listeria and still cold.

That sounds like a recipe for bacteria.

2 girls and a dog
  • Options

You decide if it's worth the risk after you do your own research/talking to your doctor...but I'd DEF keep the cat away from whatever you are choosing to eat, be it deli meats or your prenatal vitamins.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options

imageCNAMamaof2:
    I'm of the opinion that everything can in some way hurt you or the baby, fruits have pesticides, sugar causes diabetes, artificial sweetener can cause cancer. Apparently we're supposed to survive 10 months on water. I just eat what I feel like eating. I did that with my first pregnancy and she turned out fine. The only thing I was careful about was fish. This time around I can't even smell fish so I should be safe.

Yes I ate deli sandwiches (not heated) multiple times a week with my last pregnancy--this time around I haven't as much, just b/c it hasn't sounded good--but I don't have a problem with doing it.

• Options
    Since everything you eat can get you sick somehow, I personally recommend not eating at all for the duration of your pregnancy.  Better safe then sorry, KWIM?
    photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageheather_09_15_07:
    imageMsCrispy:
    imageBbelle88:

Sorry but this is wrong.  Yes the heating kills the bacteria but it actually thrives in the cold.  You could let it cool off on the counter until it's not HOT but to put it back in the fridge negates heating it in the first place because the bacteria can possibly grow back by the time you go to eat it.  Think about it:  if heating it once would take care of it, the fact that it was ever cooked to begin with would fix this issue but it doesn't, kwim? 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options

Everybody run!! It's a turkey sandwich!

Sigh. the one I wanted wouldn't post. It looked yummy too. 

• Options

imageCNAMamaof2:

Sugar doesn't cause diabetes. Being overweight because you eat too much sugar can contribute to your risk, but just eating sugar does not cause diabetes.

Click Me (See the 3rd myth listed)

OP, there was some good info posted about deli meats. It's up to you to decide how comfortable you personally are with the risk.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageheather_09_15_07:
    imageMsCrispy:
    imageBbelle88:

This. Heating something then recooling it still puts in a high "danger zone" for bacteria growth.

• Options
    imageSkyBee:
    imageheather_09_15_07:
    imageMsCrispy:
    imageBbelle88:

This. Heating something then recooling it still puts in a high "danger zone" for bacteria growth.

Not really.  Once you heat it to a certain temp, you have killed the bacteria.  It's not like that bacteria is going to grow back again if you put it in a bowl and cool it back down.  As long as it was heated to the proper temp before, it would be fine. I wouldn't let it sit there for long. This all just seems like it would take far too long and far too much planning for my hungry ass though.

• Options
    imageSkyBee:
    imageheather_09_15_07:
    imageMsCrispy:
    imageBbelle88:

wondering why my ob would have recommended this???
  • Options
    Do you people really think a cold cut sandwich, heated in the microwave, then cooled in the fridge actually sounds appetizing? That's disgusting.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

breastfeeding, cloth diapering, farming mama.

• Options
    imagefabfive:
    imageSkyBee:
    imageheather_09_15_07:
    imageMsCrispy:
    imageBbelle88:

wondering why my ob would have recommended this???

Because heating food to steaming should kill any bacteria on it.  So unless you're dealing with zombie bacteria (HOLY SH!T! GAME OVER, MAN!) the only way your deli meat is going to be recontaminated is if other food in your fridge is contaminated, and then you're just f*cked.

Anyway...

Do your research and make a decision, Americanpregnancy.org's page on listeria that someone linked earlier is very informative.  The risk of listeriosis in this country, pregnant or not, is NOWHERE near as high as the constant number of threads about it on this board suggest.  Personally, I'd just eat the freakin' sandwich.

Also, LOL at the cat crapping in your sandwich response.

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Options
    imagegbtc01:

This is hilarious!  I am picturing my cat crapping in my sandwich now, and it is about to make me pee my pants!  hahahahahaha

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"