March 2011 Moms

Thank you gifts for hospital visitors?

I was talking to my mom earlier and she asked me what I had picked as thank you gifts for people that come visit me and LO in the hospital and at home afterward.  I have never heard of giving gifts or favors for hospital visitors before and I told her that.  She said that it is customary and that she did it with my brother, sister and I.  I do remember the favors that she made forwhen my brother was born but i thought she used them as baby shower favors not hospital favors.  She is from Mexico so it may be a customary thing to do there but I have never heard of it done here. Have any of y'all?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Thank you gifts for hospital visitors?

• I have NEVER heard of this.  I'm sorry, but after just pushing out a baby, I don't think there's any reason to "thank" people.  They're there to support you and if they're expecting some sort of gift, I think that's just rude!!  I don't think you need to plan any favor....I'm definitely not!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • NOT COMMON!!! Do not worry about it. I've only ever heard of this once before and it was on the bump. If I showed up at the hospital to visit a friend who just had a baby and they gave me a gift, I'd be so confused.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Agree with PP... not giving out ANY thank you gifts for visitors!! It's all about ME, Kyle and DH! lol
  • That is basically what I said. I told her that I was planning on sending birth announcements after LO is born but that I had no intention of giving hospital favors.  I dont want a ton of visitors at the hospital anyway just close friends and family so they shouldnt expect any sort of favor.  she said it was rude not to give gifts so she was going to bring some to the hospital for me to hand out.   I justchanged the subject and am hoping she will forget...
  • I think the gift is them getting to see your precious little baby hours after it's been born!
  • I have never heard of this, nor would I have ever thought of it.  At most I would send a thank you note for coming by and meeting LO.  And on the converse side... I have never recived a thank you gift for visiting anyone who has just had a baby either! 
    HarLynn's mama
  • umm, no!  that goes way far above and beyond!  i would def. feel weird if someone tried to give me a thank you gift for visiting them at the hospital!  if someone were to bring a gift for the baby after they are born, that would require me to send a thank you note but that would be it. 
  • I NEVER heard of that. You said that your mom said she was bringing gifts for you to hand out- let her hand them out! That can be her thing that she's in charge of at the hospital- there's no way you need to worry about that.
  • imagebryanddani2009:
    I have NEVER heard of this.  I'm sorry, but after just pushing out a baby, I don't think there's any reason to "thank" people.  They're there to support you and if they're expecting some sort of gift, I think that's just rude!!  I don't think you need to plan any favor....I'm definitely not!

My opinion exactly!! I have never, ever heard of giving thank you gifts out to hospital visitors.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• I have never heard of this before. I will not be giving anything out to visitors, I think that's strange. I wouldn't know what to do or say if I went to visit someone in the hospital and they gave me a gift. That's so weird!
  • This is truly one of the craziest things I've ever heard! EVER!!! I would never expect anything when visiting someone who just had a baby. If someone comes to the hospital expecting a favor, I'd rather them not come at all.
    Baby, you've got the sort of eyes that tell me tales...
    :Blog:
  • I think it must be a regional/cultural thing. I agree with PPs, and the present is for them to see LO. They'll all get birth announcements and a thank you card if they bring us anything or help us with anything.
  • I think we're doing this but we're looking at it as like when DH gave out cigars when DD was born.  It's not really as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.

We got candy bar wrappers and some hershey's bars to wrap. DH is doing the work so I'm not really worrying about it. And they'll go to the nurses and Drs too so it's an easy thank you from us.

• Thank them for WHAT? For coming to the hospital and intruding on my time with my new family after I've just gone through the most painful experience of my life?

I'd sooner give thank you favors to the people who stay home and leave me alone. lol.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • i've heard of people giving thank you's to the staff that helped them. but theres no way i'd do that and i'd especially not bring thank you gifts for friends and family that came to the hospital.  another thing to try and remember to put in the bag? negative.  it really must be a cultural thing.
    Bre Wrties
  • you guys aren't going to believe this, but after reading this post today i found an article in the american baby magazine talking about this same thing!  someone from brazil was all excited about making thank you "gift bags" to give to her visitors.  definately cultural!!!
  • Wow I guess it is a cultural thing!  When my mom asked me yesterday I honestly thought she was crazy.  I guess since I had never heard of it done here in the states before I thought she was making it up.  I probably still won't do it because I am sure there will be many other things on my mind right after giving birth that have nothing to do with handing out gifts to visitors.  I do like the idea of thanking the hospital staff though.

• It is called "Baby hospital kit" and it's the cutest thing parents prepare for the baby's visitors. It's a way to greet them and to make them feel part of the celebration of having a new family member , not a "thank you  gift" .  We prepare lots of stuff with our baby's name . We personalize eveything, from wáter bottles to chips, candies, etc.

You can take all of the "greeting material" to the hospital so everyone who goes to visit you can take a cute snack , or you can leave it at home, so you won't have to prepare coffee or anything else for your guests because everyone can help theriselves with all that you have in the kit.

Maybe it's a cultural thing but it's super common here in Mexico, and it's so nice to have everyone around you enjoying stuff you prepared for your baby. It's like a tiny party for you and your newborn.

• Ive seen SEE's lollipops given out with a sticker saying "its a boy!' or "its a girl!"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"