Pre-School and Daycare
Options

How to prepare DS for surgery?

I want him to understand, but not to scare him! Thank you!

Re: How to prepare DS for surgery?

• Options
    I'm a lurker and don't know your son's story so I don't kno what advice to give.  How old is he and what kind of surgery is it.  DD had surgery on her eyes, but was 2.5 at the time so I don't know if what we did in our case would relate to your situation or not.
  • Options

I googled it and found this. Hope that helps!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ditto pp -- what kind of surgery and how old is your son?  That can help determine best way to prep him.  Because for younger, I'd keep it general.  For older, you can go into a bit more detail.  There are some great books out there that can demystify the process too.  I might be able to give more detailed recs if I knew the surgery and age.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

I have advice for outpatient surgery if that is what he is having.  DS had two surgeries in Dec for his adenoids and his umbilical hernia.  He is a worrier.  I told him the night before we were getting up early to go to a special doc. In the morning  I told him he was going to a special doctor that was going to make it so he didn't cough as much and that his belly button was going to be fixed so it looked my like mommy and daddy's. 

Where he is having surgery will probably make it fun before he goes in.  Some places give "special juice" before they even leave your side so they are out of it and don't remember leaving. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"