Postpartum Depression
Options

Upped my meds... isn't working

I need help and I don't know what to do. I had PPD after DS was born, and it's come back. I upped my meds, 75mg of Effexor to 150mg, about 4 or 5 days ago, and no change yet.

I'm drowning here... is there anything else I can do to try and feel better? I work full time, so I don't have time for counseling, and I've done counseling before... it doesn't help me.

I'm so overwhelmed right now, I can't eat, I can't sleep, I'm so tired, I just want to crawl into a hole and die.

Please offer me some encouragement that this will get better.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Upped my meds... isn't working

• Options
    If counseling doesn't help, is there any other thing that would make you smile?  Maybe a funny movie or a girlfriend coming over to talk.  If things get worse, you can always go to the ER.  I'm still waiting for meds to kick in as well, but just hang in there.  I know the meds take awhile!

DS born 8/2010 - preliminary stages of SN int'l adoption - fur mama to 2 shelter dogs;  cloth diapering, babywearing, EBFing mama

• Options
    How do you feel about tanning beds? i know that is random seeming but it releases endorfins and can make you feel happier...even five minutes of silent warmth may be helpful....just cake on the spf.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How do you feel about tanning beds? i know that is random seeming but it releases endorfins and can make you feel happier...even five minutes of silent warmth may be helpful....just cake on the spf. my spelling is lame sorry!
  • Options

It's possible that the effexor is no longer effective for you.  Have you tried other meds?  It can take a while to find the right combo of meds.  I think I've been on just about everything for depression before we found what works.  

I also agree with the tanning beds.  I've heard that does make a difference.   

• Options

i have had depression since i was 16 and i have been on 7 different medications. you may need something different. light therapy is also great for depression but it really helps if you have seasonal affective disorder ( depression only in the winter) if you do not feel okay about tanning beds look online for a broad spectrum lamp. sitting with this lamp on for about 20 min a day may help.

also give the meds another week or so before throwing in the towel your body needs time to readjust to the higher dose, the same thing if you change meds. don't stop your meds cold turkey, this is very bad. it can cause withdrawls and suicidal thoughts, make sure that you talk to your dr about the right way to step down your meds before going off. 

GL. you are not alone.

• Options
    It will get better. I went from 75 to 150 of effexor too and it took a good 10 days to feel better, but I did feel better. Hang in there.
  • Options

You are not alone.

I've been there too, and as PP's have said, it takes a week or two for the change in meds to really feel noticeably different. If effexor helped you once, it will very very likely help again as your body adjusts to the new dosage.  75 is super low, so 150 will likely help a lot more.  Try to think of it this way - if youre on day 5, I bet you'll feel a little better on day 7, much better on day 10, and a ton better on day 14.  It is very likely that in a month you will feel like a new person. 

Also, you said you're very tired (which I understand - hard to sleep when depressed with a baby) but are you taking your effexor first thing in the morning?  It can make it hard to sleep, so the earlier you take it in the day, the better. 

I understand wanting to crawl in a hole and die (I have been there!), but please PLEASE tell someone if those feelings escalate. 

This WILL get better.  You have already taken such great steps in getting help. 

TTC #2 since 12/2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"