Indiana Babies
Options

Anyone been to the Northeast?

DH and I want to plan a vacation to the northeast.  I've not been to CT and RI and he's not been to VT, NH and ME, so we know we need to hit those spots.  We are planning on 2 days in DC and one in Boston, but don't know much of anything else.  We love National Parks, the outdoors, hiking, etc.  Anyone been up there?  What do we need to make sure that we do?  I've been to NH, VT and ME, but it was in high school on a missions trip, so I didn't have any choice as to where specifically we went.  TIA!

Re: Anyone been to the Northeast?

• Options
    LOL, I've only been to Rehobeth, DE, but I would love to go to RI and tour the old mansions!
  • Options

I lived in Maine one summer while working at a summer camp (yes, totally like straight out of The Parent Trap kind of camp). Maine is beautiful, I love it so much. Mainers are really weird though.... like seriously, weird. You must see Acadia and Bar Harbor, it's soooo beautiful. I was in New Hampshire but only for a short period of time. It also seemed like a really pretty state. 

I was in Boston for a few days as well and it was fun, you should definitely do the Freedom Trail. I wish I could have seen more of Boston.

Other than that, I've not been to like NYC, NJ or anywhere like that.

Good luck! I'm jealous :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    When will you be going? I thru-hiked the AT, which passes through all of those states except RI so I can definitely recommend some good hiking depending on what time of year you're going to be there. Highlights would be the White Mts in NH(eg Mt Washington - maybe stay in one of the AMC huts? https://www.outdoors.org/lodging/whitemountains/huts/index.cfm ), Bear Mt in CT, and any part of the Long Trail in VT. I'd also highly recommend making stops through Burlington, VT , Hanover, NH (Dartmouth), or any number of cute small towns in CT (eg Kent, Salisbury, Cornwall Bridge). Maine is tougher because it's so remote. I'd recommend hiking Katahdin but it's too far out of the way although Mahoosuc Notch (the "toughest mile on the AT") might be doable and makes for some intersting hiking, er scrambling. Let me know if you have any questions! I'm super jealous and would love to plan a trip back up there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Thanks Whitney!  I was hoping you would chime in.  We are definitely planning on the Bay of Fundy and seeing that and were thinking about Katahdin as well.  It's only 3 hours from Bay of Fundy, so we didn't think it would be too far.  I looked up Mahoosuc and it looks amazing.  DH says that the Whites are all up and down, plus we'd have to hike out and then right back to where we started since we'll only have one car.  Day hikes are much more appealing to us.  I think we're going to do the Cliff Walk in Newport, RI.  Thanks for the recs in CT. 

• Options
    I'm orig from MA and spent my summers in RI. I'd definitely take a trip to Newport, absolutely beautiful! You could also take the Ferry to Block Island and rent bikes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Newport!

And I second Block Island and renting bikes, too.

If you want somewhere nerdy in CT, the Mark Twain house is pretty fab. CT also has Gillette Castle for some serious quirk, and it's in a state park. If you want maritime history, Mystic Village is fun, and there's a restaurant in Mystic (the city, not Mystic Village) called S&P Oyster that honest to God features in my dreams.

Mother's Day, 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"