South Dakota Babies
Options

Middle of Nowhere :)

Hi!

So I'm a first timer in this game of pregnancy and I also live in the middle nowhere!  I found a doctor (I hope) in Gregory, which is still over an hour from where I live.  My first appointment is March 3.  I've heard good things about her, but she's not an OBGYN.  The closest OBGYN was 2.5 hours from here.  How do you feel about this?  Did any of you have a family practitioner deliver instead of an OB?

Re: Middle of Nowhere :)

• Options
    I had the option of using any number of OB doctors in Mitchell and chose instead to use my family practice doctor.  I was very pleased with my care and the care of my baby.  He watched us very closely and was in contact with an OB doctor if we had any concerns.  I did travel to Sioux Falls 2xs for special ultrasounds but other than that he took care of all our needs.  Make sure your asking lots of questions and if you feel concerned at any point ask if they recomend you see an  OB for your concern.  In most cases your family practice doctor is just as experianced as your OB doctor.  If you are high risk they may ask that you see an OB but I was high risk and we did just fine.  My baby turned 2 months today and we are both doing great.... hope this helps...
  • Options
    I would have to drive over an hour to see an OB. I've been seeing a family practitioner about a half hour away. I've meet the OB and I'm much more comfortable with my FP. It did make me nervous at first, but I think in our situations FP's are a little more experienced in prenatal care than normal only because they are so far away from OB's and they care for pregnant women more often.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"