School-Aged Children
Options

Would you let your child join...

the Boy Scouts, if you thought the leader was a horrible role model?  

Clayton wanted to join so we went to the meeting.  Turns out the leader is a mom *which I am fine with* but it was the mom who at a baseball game of 8-10 year olds was very outspokenly rude!  For instance when a kid struck out, she screamed "See Ya!"  She was even asked to leave the diamonds.  We live in a small town and this is the only troop around,  Soo would you?  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Would you let your child join...

• Options

Maybe if there's only one troop, then it's time to start a second one?  Could you co-sponsor with a friend?

If you can't start one, I'd give this mom's troop a try and hope for the best.  Watch the situation like a hawk, though.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options

I would let my son join.  It probably has more to do with being with his friends or a group that he is comfortable with than anything else.  I just cannot see saying to my kids "sorry, the leader is rude."  (note: Bad manners is one thing - if she were racist or in some way her values did not allign with mine I would not join).   She might be different as a leader, and she might be different with other parents around.

If she is that rude, your son will notice and might want to drop on his own.  But usually there are enough other moms/volunteers that she will not be the only influence in his boy scout experience.

image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemrs.dovey:

the Boy Scouts, if you thought the leader was a horrible role model?  

Clayton wanted to join so we went to the meeting.  Turns out the leader is a mom *which I am fine with* but it was the mom who at a baseball game of 8-10 year olds was very outspokenly rude!  For instance when a kid struck out, she screamed "See Ya!"  She was even asked to leave the diamonds.  We live in a small town and this is the only troop around,  Soo would you?  

If I thought the leader was a poor role model, no.  I would start my own troop.

I am a Girl Scout troop leader - it's not that difficult. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"