3rd Trimester
Options

Bad timing. Pet due date overlapping my own.

2»

Re: Bad timing. Pet due date overlapping my own.

• Options

I'm so glad I saw this post!

And I think your OP last sentence is the best advice you could give yourself. I get the hormonal/emotional need for this to be perfect but...it's a guinea pig. 

imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Separate them and let nature take it's place.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageDeansGirl0329:

That reminds me I need to schedule the midwife too.  

HAHA  Big Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

LOL Why I am not surprised to see this coming out of Bridgeville Delaware. Gotta love slower lower Stick out tongue (miss you DE!)

Is there a small animal rescue that can watch them? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    I think the biggest issue is that gay people can't get married (at least in Minnesota), but I guess that guinea pigs can? I get the whole being concerned about your pets thing but married guinea pigs freaks me out. 
  • Options
    imagejoleynb:

What is wrong with you women?  I have seen several of the same miserable b*tches who replied with nasty sarcasm on this post, do it on others as well.  What ever happened to "if you do not have anything nice to say then shut the f up"?  You do not have to reply to a post if you think it is stupid.  Just move on to the more serious posts about what to wear to your shower or whether or not DH has rubbed his poor baby momma's feet enough today. 

When you have pets, no matter what kind, their well-being is important to you.  That is, if you are a resposible pet owner. 

That said, I would check with the pet store if they do have a Guinea pig breeder and see what they say.  They may just give you some free advice on what you should do if you go into labor before she does.

Now, this better not be a joke post after I just went off like this!!

Crying You're right. We're miserable b*tches. What is WRONG with us?!

For the record - THIS is a serious post. I am very concerned with the well being of her guinea pig.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Tongue Tied
    Stillbirth at 23w6d on Sept, 22, 2008 M/C at 5 weeks June 14, 2010 My miracle, James Frederick born May 2, 2011 via C-section
  • Options

imageNyki88:
    I think the biggest issue is that gay people can't get married (at least in Minnesota), but I guess that guinea pigs can? I get the whole being concerned about your pets thing but married guinea pigs freaks me out. 

OH THE INJUSTICE!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagedawnski:
    imageSunshinies:

You are either mocking me to the extreme or you're crazy. Obviously my child's health is more important to me than my guinea pig having a more relaxing delivery. And the rest I wont even touch on. I have I feeling everyone is taking my post differently than the way I intended it. I worried I will develope unnecessary anxiety during labor, that might cause me problems for my child's birth because I don't expect that I will stay rational during labor. I know that's silly to expect but I've been doing this through out the pregnancy, getting anxious over a lot of nothing. It's like crying over nothing when pregnant, a lot of women do it.

so...you are afraid that the anxiety will cause you to eat your baby?  is that what this is all about?

I think I love you.

• Options
    How do you know your guinea pig's due date? I didn't realize my hampster was even pregnant until I saw little worm-like hamsters crawling around in the cage. But that was when I was 7.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imagejoleynb:

What is wrong with you women?  I have seen several of the same miserable b*tches who replied with nasty sarcasm on this post, do it on others as well.  What ever happened to "if you do not have anything nice to say then shut the f up"?  You do not have to reply to a post if you think it is stupid.  Just move on to the more serious posts about what to wear to your shower or whether or not DH has rubbed his poor baby momma's feet enough today. 

When you have pets, no matter what kind, their well-being is important to you.  That is, if you are a resposible pet owner. 

That said, I would check with the pet store if they do have a Guinea pig breeder and see what they say.  They may just give you some free advice on what you should do if you go into labor before she does.

Pot, meet kettle.  Calling people biitches and telling them to shut the F up isn't nice like you are telling them to be.  Just sayin'. 

TTC #1 Lap 11/5/10-large paratubal cyst removed. Stage III Endo removed Dx: PCOS Cycle 11: Clomid 50mg CD 3-7 + trigger + TI= BFN Cycle 12: Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI: BFN Cycle 13: Clomid 150mg + estradiol + IUI: ?
  • Options
    imagegwcswifey:
    imagejoleynb:

Pot, meet kettle.  Calling people biitches and telling them to shut the F up isn't nice like you are telling them to be.  Just sayin'. 

I know, right?! Shame on you, Joleynb! You hurt our feelings. Meanie.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageWhen we wished upon a star...:

And insinuating we're miserable-does that qualify as bitter in my case?  I'll comfort you Wish  :)

TTC #1 Lap 11/5/10-large paratubal cyst removed. Stage III Endo removed Dx: PCOS Cycle 11: Clomid 50mg CD 3-7 + trigger + TI= BFN Cycle 12: Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI: BFN Cycle 13: Clomid 150mg + estradiol + IUI: ?
  • Options
    imagegwcswifey:

And insinuating we're miserable-does that qualify as bitter in my case?  I'll comfort you Wish  :)

Thank you, GWC! It's comforting to know there are caring people in this world after all.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Well, I had a good giggle over this post. Below is my advice.

Separate the male from the female and hope for the best. Worse case scenario: she eats her young. The up side: Fewer babies to take care of this spring. Stick out tongue

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options
    Castor oil. Give the guinea pigs Castor oil.
  • Options

imageschenkertobe:
    How do you know your guinea pig's due date? I didn't realize my hampster was even pregnant until I saw little worm-like hamsters crawling around in the cage. But that was when I was 7.

They told her.

Duh!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

::Peeking in::

OP, if you're still around, I think it sounds like it would be a good idea to contact the person at the pet store who's experienced with guinea pig husbandry to board/take care of them while you're gone.  I agree that a lot of animal clinics don't have staff around 24 hours, & not all vets have experience with pocket pets, otherwise I think that's a good second option.  

Next time you have something big coming up where you don't think you'll be around, you might want to try planning ahead of time & separating the male & female so you don't get stuck in this scenario again.

Having said that, I'm actually pretty insulted by a lot of the things said in this thread.  As a veterinarian, I really don't appreciate people mocking my profession.  It's actually more difficult to get into vet school than human medical school (look it up), we go to school for just as long, & we have to know about every other species on the planet.  Oh, & we're not paid nearly as well, either.  So we're in it mostly for other kinds of rewards...like saving lives, educating owners &, you know, dealing with a condescending & unappreciative public.  Thanks.  

• Options
    imageStellarStina26:

This thread is full of win.  Why would you let your pet get pregnant while you are?  My cat has been going into heat every 2 weeks... but I don't need kittens.

Take the damn male out - I didn't realize that male Guinea Pigs were monogamous anyway... 

Okay, judgy mcjudgerson.. wtf isn't your cat spayed? just askin.

• Options
    imageClerk9:

Okay, so I'm actually pretty insulted.  And I'm thinking about posting over there, even though I'm not in 3rd tri.

Yes, the OP was totally irresponsible to house her GPs together during a time the female might conceive & have an EDD close to her own.  It's been my experience that most "breeders" (of anything) are short on common sense, or medical knowledge or both.  And pretty much all of them are a PITA.  

HOWEVER.  As a vet, I'm boiling about the posts saying that the human doctors/nurses could take care of the GP, that someone who's had 2 c-sections could do a surgery, etc.  A lot of people don't take what we do seriously as a medical profession, even though we go through just as much school as human physicians &, oh by the way, have to know everything about EVERY OTHER SPECIES.  And we get paid a heckuva lot less than they do.

And I'm not even touching the posts suggesting she just buy a new one because, you know, life is disposable.  

Maybe this is overreacting a bit to those offhand comments, but when you hear condescending & ignorant sh*t like this all of the time, it gets to you.  Grr.    

End rant.   

You do realize they were kidding right?  I doubt she thinks that she is actually qualified to do a Guinea Pig (or any) csection, no one is serious about letting the MD deliver the piggie babies...take a deep breathe it's all in jest.  I like my vet a lot more then my own Dr..I have loads of respect for them...chill.

• Options
    imageLovingBaz:
    imageClerk9:

Okay, so I'm actually pretty insulted.  And I'm thinking about posting over there, even though I'm not in 3rd tri.

Yes, the OP was totally irresponsible to house her GPs together during a time the female might conceive & have an EDD close to her own.  It's been my experience that most "breeders" (of anything) are short on common sense, or medical knowledge or both.  And pretty much all of them are a PITA.  

HOWEVER.  As a vet, I'm boiling about the posts saying that the human doctors/nurses could take care of the GP, that someone who's had 2 c-sections could do a surgery, etc.  A lot of people don't take what we do seriously as a medical profession, even though we go through just as much school as human physicians &, oh by the way, have to know everything about EVERY OTHER SPECIES.  And we get paid a heckuva lot less than they do.

And I'm not even touching the posts suggesting she just buy a new one because, you know, life is disposable.  

Maybe this is overreacting a bit to those offhand comments, but when you hear condescending & ignorant sh*t like this all of the time, it gets to you.  Grr.    

End rant.   

You do realize they were kidding right?  I doubt she thinks that she is actually qualified to do a Guinea Pig (or any) csection, no one is serious about letting the MD deliver the piggie babies...take a deep breathe it's all in jest.  I like my vet a lot more then my own Dr..I have loads of respect for them...chill.

And she also missed the fact it was pointed out that WE ARE NOT VETS.

• Options
    imageDizzyLiz422:
    imageStellarStina26:

This thread is full of win.  Why would you let your pet get pregnant while you are?  My cat has been going into heat every 2 weeks... but I don't need kittens.

Take the damn male out - I didn't realize that male Guinea Pigs were monogamous anyway... 

I guess I should have specified.  That would be my boyfriend's cat that he got off his parents farm... people who are very hand's off when it comes to cat care.  All the cats I have ever owned have been spayed.  As soon as I can talk him into it - she will be spayed.  But, she isn't allowed outside or near males... so if she goes into heat, she isn't making kittens.  I was just saying maybe this person should have kept the male and female apart knowing how this whole baby making stuff works.

• Options
    imagecitychicks:

SurpriseIndifferent

I didn`t realise anyone over the age of 8 kept guinea pigs. Is this MUD?

Aww, DH and I have a guinea pig.  I wanted a puppy, but don't feel right keeping a dog trapped in our apartment when we're at class or work.  

...having defended myself, I will now admit that I would never, ever spontaneously decide to adopt a pet again.  The guinea pig was given to me free by a vet student who couldn't keep it in her new apartment, but they're terribly boring little pets with squeaks that can drive you up a wall. 

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options

I read all of the previous posts.  And I do realize that people are "kidding".  But when you hear this sort of "kidding" all of the time, it gets really old really quickly.  

I'm not trying to start a war over here, so I'm sorry if I came off too hot or took things in a way that they weren't meant.  We all have our lines, & some of these statements just crossed mine.  Thought it might be helpful to show people how their statements could be interpreted by others.  And to try & help out the OP.  

Hope you ladies all have a H&H remainder of your pregnancies.    

• Options
    imageStellarStina26:
    imageDizzyLiz422:
    imageStellarStina26:

I guess I should have specified.  That would be my boyfriend's cat that he got off his parents farm... people who are very hand's off when it comes to cat care.  All the cats I have ever owned have been spayed.  As soon as I can talk him into it - she will be spayed.  But, she isn't allowed outside or near males... so if she goes into heat, she isn't making kittens.  I was just saying maybe this person should have kept the male and female apart knowing how this whole baby making stuff works.

How do you deal with it?! My DH's cat was unspayed for a year because she was tiny (still is) and we were afraid to put her under anesthesia... worst year of cat ownership ever! She was a yowling, disgusting mess, and we had so many male cats hanging around outside! Unspayed female cats are the devil.

Dee, Mommy to: Sofia, born 2/9/11, as well as three dogs, two cats and a multitude of chinchillas. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    First of all, they're rodents... they don't need you assisting in rodent labor. Gestation is approx. 63 days. Throw them some food & water, leave them home, and stop over thinking rodent husbandry. If she eats them, she eats them. It's really not a big deal... it's very common with rodents/rabbits/small animals, etc. Also, remove the male from the cage. There are very few if any small animals that require much more than semen from the male to procreate and raise their young. If you are this nervous over a Guinea Pig birth, you have to reevaluate your life IMO. Good luck.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

breastfeeding, cloth diapering, farming mama.

• Options

imagefuzzylamb:
    First of all, they're rodents... they don't need you assisting in rodent labor. Gestation is approx. 63 days. Throw them some food & water, leave them home, and stop over thinking rodent husbandry. If she eats them, she eats them. It's really not a big deal... it's very common with rodents/rabbits/small animals, etc. Also, remove the male from the cage. There are very few if any small animals that require much more than semen from the male to procreate and raise their young. If you are this nervous over a Guinea Pig birth, you have to reevaluate your life IMO. Good luck.

this is exactly what I was thinking!!!

• Options
    I just find your wording weird. "kill his babies or wife?" Seriously, I can promise you the last thing on your mind while you are delivering your baby will be you guinea pigs at home. I'm sorry, I'm an animal lover but this whole post is seriously just weird. If you would have posted do you ladies think I should do A, B, C. to take care of my pets while in the hospital there would be no issues, but the way you worded this was just freakin weird. You need to calm down, its not that big of a deal. Enjoy your pregnancy and don't worry.
  • Options

"Maybe the dingo ate your baby"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghCTZF61ey0

• Options
    imageClerk9:

::Peeking in::

OP, if you're still around, I think it sounds like it would be a good idea to contact the person at the pet store who's experienced with guinea pig husbandry to board/take care of them while you're gone.  I agree that a lot of animal clinics don't have staff around 24 hours, & not all vets have experience with pocket pets, otherwise I think that's a good second option.  

Next time you have something big coming up where you don't think you'll be around, you might want to try planning ahead of time & separating the male & female so you don't get stuck in this scenario again.

Having said that, I'm actually pretty insulted by a lot of the things said in this thread.  As a veterinarian, I really don't appreciate people mocking my profession.  It's actually more difficult to get into vet school than human medical school (look it up), we go to school for just as long, & we have to know about every other species on the planet.  Oh, & we're not paid nearly as well, either.  So we're in it mostly for other kinds of rewards...like saving lives, educating owners &, you know, dealing with a condescending & unappreciative public.  Thanks.  

I find it amusing, and sad, that what you got from this entire thread was that you think people were insulting veterinary medicine. I'm pretty sure people weren't making fun of your profession...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageSunshinies:
    Whomp! Guinea pigs are amazing pets, don't hate! Picking fun at my pet choice doesn't help this hormonal mama-to-be. I am serious, I wasn't expecting her to be expecting and the last thing I want to come home to with my baby is dead guinea pigs. Whom I've been caring for while over flowing with maternal instinct so I obviously have a strong bond with them.

Wow, I don't get why everyone is being so judgmental about your choice of pet. If someone can love a fat stinky dog that sheds and pees on floors or a cat that poops in a box, someone can love a guinea pig too. It is something you care for and thats that. Anyways, I would say the pet store/some time of animal boarding is your best bet, but don't stress too much because it would be a weird coincidence if that happened on the same day. Just hope she has her piggies before you so you can care for them. Take the papa out in the mean time, just in case. Good luck.

• Options

Just popping over and I have to put my 2 cents in.

As a guinea pig breeder myself, I think guinea pigs are wonderful pets. That being said, remove your male from the cage. Also, taking her to a vet or a boarding facility will stress her out more than she needs to be and actually increases the odds of her eating her young. Many of my guinea pigs give birth without assistance and they prefer it that way, they want privacy. I cover mine's cage with a towel or make sure they have a little hut they can go into to get away from everything. I've only ever had 1 pig eat 1 of her babies, but it was born dead. No worries. Also, eating their young is not as common as it is with rabbits and mice and other rodents because guinea pig babies come out running around just like mini pigs. Not all gross and nasty pink things that just lay there for the first month of their life. Much less likely to eat something that runs away from you. haha.

• Options
    I don't understand why there are so many b*tches commenting on this. If it was a horse, dog or cat or some other beloved household pet you wouldn't have much to say.  It is a little funny but only because it so out of the norm.  And it isn't true that they will only eat their offspring if they won't make it. I had rabbits growing up and the bunnies were eaten when the mother became stressed; which can happen for a variety of reasons.  Well, glad you a-holes got your laugh at someone else's expense, like usual.  It is easy to be mean when you get to remain nameless and faceless, isn't it?  You must have unhappy lives, or you wouldn't have such a good time putting other people down.  *Pats on the back.  Lose some weight, spend more time with your kids, do whatever you need to do to feel better about yourself so you can stop being mean, catty, jerks.  Thank you, that is all. ?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I have no problem with her loving a guinea pig, I do however think that it's crazy that anyone would think you wouldn't get flamed for talking about married guinea pigs....
  • Options

imageNyki88:
    I have no problem with her loving a guinea pig, I do however think that it's crazy that anyone would think you wouldn't get flamed for talking about married guinea pigs....

THIS

Apparently we're b*tches because we think it's psychotic to "marry" your pets and worry that you won't be able to stay rational during the birth of your child for fear that your pet piggie will give birth while you're away. I mean, really.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagealiwisewoman:
    I don't understand why there are so many b*tches commenting on this. If it was a horse, dog or cat or some other beloved household pet you wouldn't have much to say.  It is a little funny but only because it so out of the norm.  And it isn't true that they will only eat their offspring if they won't make it. I had rabbits growing up and the bunnies were eaten when the mother became stressed; which can happen for a variety of reasons.  Well, glad you a-holes got your laugh at someone else's expense, like usual.  It is easy to be mean when you get to remain nameless and faceless, isn't it?  You must have unhappy lives, or you wouldn't have such a good time putting other people down.  *Pats on the back.  Lose some weight, spend more time with your kids, do whatever you need to do to feel better about yourself so you can stop being mean, catty, jerks.  Thank you, that is all. ?

Wow. What insightful knowledge! That's the first time any of us have ever been told we must have unhappy lives for being brutally honest. Do you feel sorry for our children, too?

If you want to be on a site where it's all puppy dogs and rainbows - head on over to babygaga.com because TB is KNOWN for the snarky sarcasm. If you can't handle it....buh bye!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagealiwisewoman:

Wow. What insightful knowledge! That's the first time any of us have ever been told we must have unhappy lives for being brutally honest. Do you feel sorry for our children, too?

If you want to be on a site where it's all puppy dogs and rainbows - head on over to babygaga.com because TB is KNOWN for the snarky sarcasm. If you can't handle it....buh bye!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageNyki88:

This. I am an animal lover and wouldn't make fun of anyone's choice of pet, but this is a weird place to post this, it was weird the way it was described and it's even weirder IMO that someone would be stressed about their guinea pigs when they're in the midst of human labor! And for the record, I don't think anyone was making fun of vets. In my experience, animal doctors are WAY more compassionate, thorough and thoughtful than human doctors!! 

• Options
    Duplicate post
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imagealiwisewoman:

If you want to be on a site where it's all puppy dogs and rainbows - head on over to babygaga.com because TB is KNOWN for the snarky sarcasm. If you can't handle it....buh bye!

Really? Is it brutally honest or is it just people being mean?  There is a difference.  The interesting thing is that you somehow believe you were invited to comment on this post.  I can see a little teasing. It is funny...and a little strange to refer to pets being married (or jealous).  But people are just mean and rude.  There is no reason for it.  I don't expect or want all "puppy dogs and rainbows" as all of the Team B clique likes to call it.   BUT what is the purpose??  Why are your ideas and opinions the right ones?  Other people should cower before you because they put a little too much emphasis on their pet? Get over yourself.  Are all of you anti-puppy&rainbow ladies afraid to do anything out of the ordinary in your life for fear of judgment? I would have to think so.  You are creating an atmosphere of "snarky sarcasm", that is not what the site is known for. The site is for women to support women, go through our pregnancies together, and share information that we have learned.  The women that make snarky comments and make a joke out of anyone that dares to ask a question that is "common knowledge" are the just being childish, mean girls....bullies.  I am not going to stop coming to this site because of any of you.  And I will call you out every time.  It makes no difference if you "flame" me.  Your opinions me nothing to me.  I come here for the other 90% of TB community.  So, yea...buh-bye! Wink

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"