1st Trimester
Options

rum cake

I don't know if this is a stupid question or what, but would you ladies eat rum cake?  DH's friend's wife's b'day is Monday, so I told him I'd make her a b'day cake for our Superbowl party.  He said rum cake is her favorite.  She is 10w pregnant.  I know most of the alcohol will bake out of the cake, but I think there is still some in there when it's done.  I just can't decide if I would have eaten it when I was pg or not.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: rum cake

• Options
    Wow, 11 views, and no answers!  I can't believe I have the dumbest question on 1st Tri tonight!  LOL
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am prego with my first, so I would not have it, just on the off chance the alcohol was still in there, but my friend who is having her third (and here lurking with me) said she would eat it! LOL not sure that helps.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't.  The last time I had someone's rum cake it made me a little woozy, so um yeah...I'm a lightweight.  What can I say?Angel

• Options

No, not dumb, just stumped me!  Wink  I don't know if all the alcohol bakes out, but my first thought is yes, because it is in the oven for a long time at a high temperature.  Found this on BabyCenter:

Fruitcake and other alcoholic food items: Fruitcake and other desserts that use alcohol as an ingredient are generally okay, because most of the alcohol burns off during cooking. If the fruitcake has been soaked in rum or other liquor after being baked, however, little of the alcohol will have evaporated, and you should probably steer clear.

So, sounds like it depends on how you make it!  Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I would eat it, I had some tiramisu with rum cake in it tonight. I honestly believe that most of the alcohol burns off. A lot of things we eat have slight traces of alcohol in them (like some sodas) and it really doesn't affect us.

Although I'd just ask your friend if she feels comfortable eating it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Popping over from 3rd Trimester...

At a certain temperature, all of the alcohol from the Rum wears off and you're left with the taste (which is why people use it in the first place for baking). There's absolutely no harm in eating Rum cake during pregnancy (or anything else that has been baked in an oven) since it's her favorite cake - why not serve it to her?! Unless you're planning on giving her an unbaked cake, I can't see any justifiable reason why she wouldn't enjoy it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would eat it.  One slice should be fine.  A whole cake per day? Maybe not.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Yes, I would eat it.
  • Options

If you ordered it in a restaurant would they ask for ID?

Enjoy your cake!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"