Success after IF
Options

What is your strategy to keep your cool?

Jacob is in a HUGE testing phase right now.  If I say, "Stay close to Mommy," he runs farther away.  When I say no to something, he keeps testing me and trying to make me give in.  Its annoying and frustrating - for both of us.

Adam is also still working 12-15 hours a day 6 days a week, so I'm not getting much of a reprieve lately.  And I find myself getting a shorter and shorter fuse with him that builds throughout the day.

What is your best strategy to keep your cool throughout the day with a toddler who is testing your limits?

Allison
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: What is your strategy to keep your cool?

• Options
    Meredith has been doing this in the store with me too-ugh.  When we are home I use the crib for a time out.  She hasn't climbed out yet.  I come back in 2 minutes she usually apologizes and then will listen.  Good luck. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

No advice cause we are dealing with the same thing. You are not alone. I literally tell them no to something they look right at me smile and do it anyway. I'm trying just to ignore it but its nots working.

It's really not helping being stuck inside so much. I think they are bored that's they why they are testing me/acting out....

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

--I give lots of time for everything. If she wants to stop and dink around with the snow for 5 minutes and freeze her hands, I have the time to let her. (usually)

--Repeating things? They have attention spans of FLEAS. I try to remember that, and remind myself that she's NOT ignoring me, she DOES hear me, she's just so preoccupied with the world around her, it goes in and out those ears. I just keep saying the "request" in a calm voice. Eventually she'll listen. She's NOT out to get me. (usually)

--pick my battles and don't invite trouble/conflict

--I drink wine after her bedtime. (usually)

lol.

ps - lots of props given to you, and anyone else who parents solo all/most of the time. If Davez is home late or gone all day Sat, I'm climbing the walls. And I have it good compared to many. So you get the last half glass in my bottle tonite. Cheers ;-)  (or I have some nice herbal tea if you'd like)

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • Options

I'm going to have to say nothing since honestly Nicholas has not tested me all that much.   If he's standing on the couch and I want him to sit I say "Sit like a big boy"  and he does.   Then after  few minutes he stands up again an I say it again "Sit like a big boy".   So not terribly testy.  

Or maybe he is testing me at times, and I'm not seeing it.   I very rarely lose my cool with him- cause he rarely gives me a reason to-unless he's not napping or going to bed on time.   He is pretty good at staying by my side- like when we get out of the car and I say "You stay right there and don't move"  while I get what I need out of the car and I say "Okay hold mama's hand" (like if we are going into his school) or I'll say "Okay go to the front door" (if we are homeor at my mom's house). 

Now watch I totally jinxed myself and N will go running off in the school parking lot tomorrow. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We're at the same stage and it's HARD.  I started Magic 123 and am just trying to be consistent.  I have to leave the house with him every morning or else I go CRAZY by lunchtime (I'm SAHM).  I try to keep reminding myself that he doesn't remember that I JUST told him "no throw" when he throws his cars again and again.  UGH.   I think this stage is very hard.. harder than newborn.  And when it gets really rough, I turn on the TV and leave him on the couch! 
    imageimageimage
    TTC #1: IUI #2 = BFP , Betas 550 (16 dpiui), 1523 (18 dpiui)
    Hypothyroid, LPD, FSH 13.0, TTC 2 yrs B4 BFP

TTC #2: FSH 23, AMA, IUI 1, 2, 3 = BFN, IVF #1 = MC
    IVF #2 = BFP - Betas 194 (14dp2dt), 366 (16 dp2dt), 841 (18 dp2dt)
    (vanished twin ~7 weeks)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm not there yet, but was scanning this post for little gems to tuck away for down the road :)  I thought this was a really good point, as allowing ample time (i.e. fully appreciating just how long it's going to take us to do something) is something I struggle with anyway.

imageDavezWife:

--I give lots of time for everything. If she wants to stop and dink around with the snow for 5 minutes and freeze her hands, I have the time to let her. (usually)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"