Parenting
Options

not quite 3yo and preschool - thoughts

DD will be 2y9m when preschool starts next year which is the same age DS was when he started.  DS goes to a Montessori preschool which means that at 3yo they only offer 5 days a week and I would not want to have DD skip the younger class which is 2 or 3 days a week b/c I prefer her not going straight to 5 days a week.

So...my choices that I am considering are:

2 days a week for 1.5 hrs $115 a month

3 days a week for 1.5 hrs $165 a month

2 days a week for 3 hrs $230 a month

Oh, and DS' class is 2.5 hours so either way the times will not be the same.  My only options for having them there the exact same times would be to put DD in 5 days a week in the 3-6 room or to put them both in the afternoon and I do not want either option.  I will also say that we are not rolling in money so that is a consideration but I also want to make a smart choice.
Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: not quite 3yo and preschool - thoughts

• Options

I am not sending my son who will be 2.5 in August for the coming year.  He will start at 3.5, so he will have 1 year of preschool, 1 year of pre-k, and 1 year of kinder before he starts first grade.  I think that will be plenty.  The cut off here is 9/1. 

I think 2 years of preschool would be a waste.  There are so many other things we can do.  

• Options
    imageJOEBunny:

I am not sending my son who will be 2.5 in August for the coming year.  He will start at 3.5, so he will have 1 year of preschool, 1 year of pre-k, and 1 year of kinder before he starts first grade.  I think that will be plenty.  The cut off here is 9/1. 

I think 2 years of preschool would be a waste.  There are so many other things we can do.  

I don't disagree with you but my issue is that if we want to send her to this preschool next year (and it would also be 3 years before Kindergarten b/c of cutoff) then she would go 5 days a week the next year and I am not sure how she would transition without going a few days the year before.  Feel free for anyone to tell me that you think it would be fine.  I honestly am not positive how she will do next year in school anyway except that she loved the school at his family day on Saturday, she says she wants to go but I do not think she realizes that means leave Mommy and not be in DS' class.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DD went from 2 days at 3 to 5 days at 4 with no issues.  They have summer break in between, so they have to adjust anyway. 
  • Options

We send DD one morning a week from 9-11:30. She loves it. She gets excited to see all the kids and we love seeing what she is learning. Also, it isn't a big deal to us because it only costs us about $45/month.

ETA: That is quite a bit of money for such a small amount of time. If you really feel that she benefits from it, then I would likely do the first option.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    My son started pre-k @ 2.9 this past fall. He goes 3 full days (8:30-3:30). He likes it, but I am keeping him at 3 days due to having to do 3 years.
  • Options
    DD will do 3 years of preschool, we did it so she would have something to do because we don't have much to do here.
  • Options

DS started preschool at 5 days a week. He is just that kid -- needs the interaction and loves, loves, loves school.

I do think a few days a week is a nice introduction to a future 5 day week.

• Options

never mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"