3rd Trimester

Cytotec induction...?

Today at my appointment, doc told me she would be inducing with cytotec. I was a little surprised, I was expecting pitocin (I just haven't heard much about cytotec). I googled it, probably a bad idea. I'm a little nervous...I wish these contractions would get serious so I don't have to worry about it, I have until Wed morning to go on my own. So what have you heard? What do you know? Should I be asking for pitocin or cervadil? Thanks!

Re: Cytotec induction...?

• We talked about cytotec at our birthing class Sunday and in my notes in my notes I wrote NO CYTOTEC!!  I think the reason why is that it is harder to control the dose than with something like Cervadil.  Our teacher recommended Cervadil or A Foley Catherter which is pretty old school but still done some places.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagecampbaby76:
    We talked about cytotec at our birthing class Sunday and in my notes in my notes I wrote NO CYTOTEC!!  I think the reason why is that it is harder to control the dose than with something like Cervadil.  Our teacher recommended Cervadil or A Foley Catherter which is pretty old school but still done some places.

Agreed.  I did my research before my induction and read that cytotec has a higher risk or uterine rupture.  When I went in to be induced I heard the word misoprostol and I asked the nurse what that was and it was basically another word for cytotec.  I refused the cytotec and they gave me cervadil instead.  One OB told me it would take longer because cervadil has to be in for 12 hrs (fine by me, I'd rather not risk any issues) and another OB who first order the cervadil for me assumed I was a nurse, and that alone made me feel comfortable with my decision.  FWIW, I went in not dilated at all and after the cervadil I was on pitocin for 14hrs before I had DD..not too bad for a first delivery and not being ready to go into labor on my own at all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was induced with Cytotec.  My labor went fairly quickly; it was inserted at 11pm, contractions started at 1am, and I delivered DS at 11:45 am.  I'm sure it helped that I was already 2cm and 75% effaced.  I know that there are some scary things on Google, because I looked right before my induction.  However, that was my OB's method of choice and I trusted him.  Good luck! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We were also advised to avoid a cytotec induction and use a different prostaglandin gel instead if it came down to it- I think it was cervadil. One of our local hospitals only uses cytotec though, and if you want something different you have to get a prescription from your OB prior to going to the hospital. Just something to look into!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In nursing school they told us never to let anyone use cytotec to induce labor...  I'm sure there are success stories, but seems to be a very risky drug.
  • I can't believe anyone still uses that - there is NO good reason for it.  I'd absolutely refuse it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't think Cytotec is evil but I'd probably want to try Cervadil first.  

Your cervix probably isn't progressed enough to go straight to Pitocin.  If you try to do a Pit induction on an unfavorable cervix, it's a good way to end up with a c/s for failure to progress.  Using a prostaglandin first like Cytotec or Cervadil gives you a better shot at a successful induction.

I've read that a lot of hospital OB departments prefer Cytotec because it's much cheaper for them. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My water ruptured completely at 38 weeks and I did not have any contractions on my own.  After about 4 hours I was started on Cytotec.  I tried to refuse it but my OB made me feel completely inadequate and I ended up second guessing myself (sigh).  The nurse told me it was routine to use Cytotec when the membranes had already ruptured, but who knows if that was really true.  I got several doses over the next 24 hours but it didn't do anything to start dilation or contractions.  After the first 24 hours I was started on pitocin and once the contractions finally started they went from zero to 100 in a very short amount of time.  I literally went from not contracting at all to contracting every single effing minute with no reprieve.  It was brutal.  After 48 hours of labor and almost 3 hours of pushing I had a c-section.  I don't know if the whole sucky situation could have been avoided by avoiding the Cytotec, but it's definitely on my list of things that shouldn't have been done.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was induced and I was given Cytotec with no ill effects. I was given half of the dose at about 7:00PM and the other half at midnight. The contractions started at 4AM-ish and then they started pitocin at 7:00AM.

I had DD at 4:17 PM after 1 hour of pushing...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • My membranes ruptured on their own at 40 weeks and 2 days.  I went to the hospital and was inducted with Cytotec because I wasn't dilated at all.  I ended up with a c/section after 30 hours because I was only 4 cm dilated and then got a fever.  I don't think it had anything to do with the Cytotec though.  I am pretty convinced my body wasn't ready to deliver (I actually asked my OB why this would have happened and she said if I ever found an answer to let her know.).  I very highly doubt it would have mattered if they'd used Cervadil instead.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think some people might be missing the point. Cytotec is not FDA- approved for use on pregnant women; its use in induction is "off-label" and there is no standard or agreed-upon dosage. I think it's disturbing that it is still so widely used - I would absolutely refuse its use, personally.
  • imageToledoDeux:
    I think some people might be missing the point. Cytotec is not FDA- approved for use on pregnant women; its use in induction is "off-label" and there is no standard or agreed-upon dosage. I think it's disturbing that it is still so widely used - I would absolutely refuse its use, personally.

Off-label use in itself doesn't bother me.  I get the impression that it's fairly common throughout medicine and can help lead to discoveries about new drug therapies.  I have a medical condition that has ONE drug specifically approved for it, and it's very expensive.  So a lot of people with this disease use off-label drugs.

But like you said, there are issues with standard protocols.  I also find it disturbing if its wide use is related to cost, and not efficacy or safety.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageiris427:

imageToledoDeux:
    I think some people might be missing the point. Cytotec is not FDA- approved for use on pregnant women; its use in induction is "off-label" and there is no standard or agreed-upon dosage. I think it's disturbing that it is still so widely used - I would absolutely refuse its use, personally.

Off-label use in itself doesn't bother me.  I get the impression that it's fairly common throughout medicine and can help lead to discoveries about new drug therapies.  I have a medical condition that has ONE drug specifically approved for it, and it's very expensive.  So a lot of people with this disease use off-label drugs.

But like you said, there are issues with standard protocols.  I also find it disturbing if its wide use is related to cost, and not efficacy or safety.

No, you're right. "Off-label" in itself isn't necessarily an issue - but this drug is actully contraindicated for use in pregnant women.
  • I will definitely be calling my OB tomorrow to learn more about why she chose cytotec over the other options. The thought that it could be because it is cheaper for the hospital really disturbs me. I'm pretty irritated by the lack of info she gave me, I should have asked more questions initially but my mind always goes blank when I actually have the opportunity. Thanks for the responses everyone!
  • This exactly!

imageToledoDeux:

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you look at the instructions for Cytotec there is a big picture of a pregnant women with a line through it.  It is not meant for pregnant women.  While rare, it has been known to cause death for both baby and mother.  The main problem is that there is no way to stop the contractions with the Cytotec.  At least with pitocin, if the contractions become too much, they can stop the drug.  My advice, don't take it.  It's too dangerous.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• imagedrpayne:
    I can't believe anyone still uses that - there is NO good reason for it.  I'd absolutely refuse it.

Agreed- dangerous drug. Not FDA approved in pregnancy. Even has a picture of a pregnant woman with a X through it on the box. I'd never consent to this drug, ever.. There are other options and she should be willing to work with you. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• I wouldn't use it. It might be a faster more effective drug but it's also a more dangerous, less understood drug. 
  • According to several books I have read, Cytotec is NOT FDA APPROVED FOR INDUCTION!!!!!

You can find out more at the Pfizer website (Pfizer manufactures Cytotec). Go to www.pfizer.com, select Products, then Product Finder, and then choose Cytotec. I would suggest you read both the Information for Patients and the Information for Health Care Professionals website.

• Cytotec is not FDA approved for induction! 

I suggest you read more at Pfizer.com. Go to Products, then Product Finder and choose Cytotec. Read both the Patient section and the section for Health Care Providers. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"