Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Calling all bakers! please come in!

DSs bday is a week from tomorrow but the party is not until the 11th. I wanted to get special cupcakes from a primo bakery in town and I just can't afford $30 for a dozen. So I am going to attempt to bake my own but I need some advice. I have made cupcakes in the past from regular cake mix and for whatever reason, they never turn out very good. So I'd love it if you can share your baking tips, specifically for cupcakes in a higher elevation, any good-from-scratch recipes...thanks so much!

Re: Calling all bakers! please come in!

• Options

https://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/birthday-cupcakes

This is where I go when I make cupcakes :) GL

I support fellow bumpie's Etsy site. Check it out! wpaperco.etsy.com

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Options

I just did this for DD b-day too...and everyone loved them!  I made mine from a boxed mix....instead of oil I use the same amount of applesauce.  I made chocolate ones, yellow ones and then used a white cake mix and added roughly 1T of grated lemon lemon rind....mix and bake as directions said.

For the lemon cupcakes I used a tub of vanilla icing and chopped up (pretty small pieces) of fresh strawberries and mixed it into the icing and then iced the cupcakes...they were the BIGGEST hit at the party...everyone raved about them.

And to icing them, I just used a pastry bag & a #18 tip and it pipes just like a store bought icing.  Super easy too...but you will need extra "tubs" of icing.  For each container of icing mix in 1/2 C of 10X (confectioners) sugar and it makes the store bought icing stiff enough to pipe and stay pretty.  Good luck!

Also - this might sound dumb, but since you are in a higher elevation, isn't there directions on the box for higher elevations?! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageHollywood214:

https://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/birthday-cupcakes

This is where I go when I make cupcakes :) GL

i am nodding in agreement because martha has the best cupcake ideas.  although op just make sure you are allowed to bring in homemade goodies. our school does not allow it. 

song of the week - 2.6.11
    un, deux, trois, cinq
    smoke me a kipper. i'll be back for breakfast.
  • Options

I made a variety of cupcakes for dd's first birthday party, and they turned out great (and it was very easy). I used a Martha Stewart recipe for the chocolate, and for the yellow cupcakes I followed this recipe that my friend who runs a bakery uses. It was amazingly awesome:

1 box yellow cake mix

add: 1 c flour, 1 c sugar, 1 c butter, 1 c sour cream, 3 eggs, 1/3 c water

I made my own icing (4 c confectioner's sugar, 1 c butter, 2 Tbsp water and 1 Tbsp vanilla extract).

Michael's sells Wilton cake decorating supplies. You can buy the icing piping there, and dyes to tint your icing.

Bakerella usually has really cute stuff--you may want to check out her website. I did cupcake poppers as a party favor (but I didn't think they were nearly as easy as she made them look).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Do not over stir.

I think cupcakes look better w/out the paper but that is just me. A fancy wrapper always helps. 

Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"