3rd Trimester
Options

Probably the dumbest question ever...

What constitutes a 'painful' contraction?  I was 3cm, 70% effaced last Thursday and will be 36 weeks tomorrow.  For the last 2 hours or so I've had contractions off and on...  Not really what I'd consider timeable because I honestly can't tell when they start/stop.  I feel pushingI/pressure down low, as if a hand may poke out.  I wouldn't use the word 'painful' although it's a decently uncomfortable tightness.  The best way to describe it is, if I'm seated when it starts and stand up, I can't stand up straight because I feel hunched around my belly.  So, as silly as this sounds...  What exactly does painful mean?
Lilypie Maternity tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Probably the dumbest question ever...

• Options
    I've been doubling over in pain at points if I am walking to much. I've been getting hard tummy with no pain (bh) But often this little one gets busy and starts punching me down low. Not sure if it's a contraction or not. I have my dr appointment and first internal this thursday. It's my second baby but I had an epi and an induction with my first.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have uncomfortable ones and then painful ones. Painful is when my eyes water, i feel like I cant breath, move, talk ect
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm glad you asked this because I've been kind of curious...everybody seems to have a different definition of "pain" and how much they can handle.

When I was at my childbirthing class last weekend they said that if you're unable to speak through the contractions that it's the real deal.

Are you still working, by the way, I've been meaning to ask you that. Also, I'm insanely jealous that you know how dialated you are - they haven't even checked me yet.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Yea, the pain thing is getting me...  I guess I'll just know when it happens!

I am still working, although I took today off to try to recover from this cold my students have given me.  The doula asked if I was taking a few days off when I told her I was already dilated, unfortunately it doesn't really work that way for teachers who don't have much sick leave yet! 

I was a little surprised she said she was going to check me, although I was going to request it anyway because I'd had a lot of pressure down there.  I have my next appt Thursday so we'll see if I've made any progress ;)  Shouldn't they be checking you this week?

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options

I had my last checkup a week and a half ago....and have an appointment on Friday morning. I thought they would have checked by now but the OB said I was having a "boring pregnancy" so I assume that's why.

I'm also getting the Group B Strep on Friday so I am certain they'll check me when they're already down there....If not, I plan to request it.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"