Pregnant after 35
Options

When will the blood draws stop?

I'm so tired of having blood drawn every.single.time I go to the dr. 

1st p/n visit - 10 vials were drawn
2nd p/n visit (2 wks later) - 2 vials drawn
3rd p/n visit (last Thursday) - 1 vial drawn
Today went to lab to turn in the 24 hr urine collection - 2 more vials drawn

When will it stop?!

I'm dreading my next appt Tongue Tied & my arm is turning colors from all the needle pricks.

BabyFruit Ticker image

Re: When will the blood draws stop?

• Options

LOL

If it makes you feel any better, I have had to and will continue to have 6 or so vials drawn every 6 months for the rest of my life.

I had a gastric bypass 6 years ago and my doctor does complete work ups to make sure i'm getting all the necessary vitamins/nutrients my body needs

At 40, I already have osteoporosis/osteopenia, so I have to go for reclast infusions once every couple of years. Talk about depressing... sit in a room full of cancer patients getting chemo for an hour while you have a reclast drip. Puts a whole new perspective on being healthy :)  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I had to have blood drawn for my betas every other day for the first few weeks of my pregnancy. They can always only draw blood from my right arm and it was blue and black. I know there is more blood to be drawn throughout the pregnancy but at least it's spaced out a little more.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Dang, lady .. you just made me feel guilty for complaining!

Interesting that your dr is so through.

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options

I suppose if there wasn't something always a little low, she'd let me go to yearly.

Last time it was vitamin D and magnesium, sometimes it's Iron.

My B-12 is always all over the place, too.

I had the reux en Y, which means that not only is most of my stomach bypassed, but the first 1/3 of my small intestine is also bypassed. That prevents me from absorbing much of what's in food (fat as well as the good stuff like vitamins!)

Weight loss surgery truly is a last resort, and truly life changing. It's just too bad the doctors I had before the bypass weren't thorough enough with my endocrine system to realize that the problem wasn't so much what and how much I ate as it was my thyroid hormone levels.

It's always easy to believe that people are just lazy and don't exercise of watch what they eat than think there's a real medical problem.

Ah well, at least the baby seems to be getting all her nourishment even if I may not be! LOL 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

I will have to remind myself of this post when I am doing my 3 hour glucose test tomorrow.  I was complaining about not being able to eat......now I know it could be LOTS worse.

Hope it starts to ease off.....

• Options

I will have to remind myself of this post when I am doing my 3 hour glucose test tomorrow.  I was complaining about not being able to eat......now I know it could be LOTS worse.

Hope it starts to ease off.....

• Options
    Yikes!  I hope it slows down!
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    When you leave the hospital after having baby.
    Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    10 vials? Sweet saints. I'm only getting one draw a session. But then, my first real appt (8 wks)  is coming up this Thursday.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My doctor didn't draw blood last time.  I have no idea what schedule should be!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"