Breastfeeding
Options

Preparing for BF

Hello --

I'm not pregnant yet, but TTC #2. With DD I had a hard time with breast feeding. I barely produced any milk (3/4 oz between both breast at one feeding). I couldn't pump much more than that either. By the time DD was 2 weeks old, I ended up having to give up on it because between finishing a masters and having a newborn, I didn't have the time (or energy) to go through the work of building up my supply.

This time -- I'd like to try again.

I was wondering if you ladies knew of anything I could do during pregnancy or right after the baby is born to help get off to a better start. I have heard some people say that at the hospital they were immediately pumping. I was told at the hospital NOT to pump until after the first two weeks.

Does anyone have advice or tips? Thanks!!

Re: Preparing for BF

• Options

I'd try to meet with an LC and go over what happened with your first....like did you supplement formula and not pump in those first two weeks? Did you have a rough delivery?  Did you have latch issues or tongue tie, weak suction, etc?  Knowing the issues you faced could help you figure out how to address them with #2.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Something I really wish I'd done is pump more from the beginning.  I had a very sleepy boy and it was a struggle to get him to eat.  Usually after a half hour of nursing he'd be out cold and I'd still be full.  I also was told not to pump the first few weeks.  I'm convinced (I could be totally wrong, but I am anyways) that not emptying my breasts hurt my supply.

I'm not talking about pumping after every feed or pumping extra to start building a stash but just pumping off any excess milk if you still feel full after a feed.  Again I could be way off base and there's a chance what I'm saying would make one end up with an oversupply, someone else might be able to clarify, but I wish I'd started pumping sooner.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree with madhatter about talking to a LC.

I would also like to add that I didn't start pumping until about 3 weeks in. My LC also told me to feed him at least every 2-3 hours during the day and 3-4 hours at night. During the day, if he was sleeping, she told me to wake him up  b/c if you don't, he will wake you up during the night to eat. Drink lots and lots of water. And do not supplement with formula. DS was jaundice and I just kept feeding him every 1.5-2 hours to help it pass and it did. Basic rule of thumb is if there is a demand, there will be a supply. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagekcl22:

Something I really wish I'd done is pump more from the beginning.  I had a very sleepy boy and it was a struggle to get him to eat.  Usually after a half hour of nursing he'd be out cold and I'd still be full.  I also was told not to pump the first few weeks.  I'm convinced (I could be totally wrong, but I am anyways) that not emptying my breasts hurt my supply.

I'm not talking about pumping after every feed or pumping extra to start building a stash but just pumping off any excess milk if you still feel full after a feed.  Again I could be way off base and there's a chance what I'm saying would make one end up with an oversupply, someone else might be able to clarify, but I wish I'd started pumping sooner.

I could've written this myself, word for word. I don't know what exactly the "rules" are, but I think I'd rather deal with an oversupply than struggling to keep up like I did last time. (just my uneducated opinion!) I plan to pump from the time I get home. I won't offer her a bottle for a few weeks, but I know I never got emptied those first few weeks and I feel like things would've been different if I had pumped and started a freezer stash. 

But take it with a grain of salt because I don't know how it is going to work and nobody who knows what their talking about has advised me. This is all just in my head. (and apparently someone else's which actually makes me happy)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagenjh514:
    imagekcl22:

Again I could be way off base and there's a chance what I'm saying would make one end up with an oversupply, someone else might be able to clarify, but I wish I'd started pumping sooner.

This is all just in my head. (and apparently someone else's which actually makes me happy)

I agree with both of you. I really feel that if I would have pumped from the beginning I would have had a much better supply. The other three members of my family who had babies around the same time as me pumped right away and had much better success.

Thanks for the advice of seeing the LC. I wouldn't have thought to do that until there was a problem, definitely not before.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"