1st Trimester
Options

HCG and Progesterone Level ignorance

@ 6 weeks & 5 days they took my HCG level and Progesterone level and they were  HCG 51,000 and Progesterone was 12.5

These levels were taken because @ 6.5 weeks the ultrasound tech THOUGHT she may have seen a flicker for the heartbeat but was NOT absolutely certain :/

Now that being said is that normal? (asking other mommies and mommy to be comfort me more than my OB with no kids and a HORRIBLE attitude)

Thanks ladies

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: HCG and Progesterone Level ignorance

• Options

Well, first off I think you need a new OB. You should be able to talk to your doctor and not get attitude in return. That just stands in the way of you getting the proper care and attention you deserve. Not okay.

HCG ranges are huge, and I'm a little confused as to why they would take them after the u/s. Once you hit the six week mark, the doubling rate of increase that is used earlier to determine if a pregnancy is viable no longer applies for most women. The rate slows considerably. I assume they are taking another draw, to at least ensure that the number is going up?

It would make more sense to just schedule another u/s next week at this point.

Your level is fine, but as I said, the range is HUGE:

• Options

not sure on the progesterone, you may want to ask your doc office about the progesterone. it can be not a guarantee to see the heartbeat at 6w5d, but some mommies can. i have an u/s scheduled for my 6w5d mark, on feb 10, and i'm excited, but aware that we may or may not see it, just yet. it kinda depends. for the hcg #s, checkout this site:

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/hcglevels.html

good luck!!! :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes, I have another test this afternoon. She ran the test instead of another U/S because I am flying out to Florida to pick up my 8 yr old tomorrow. U/S scheduled for 2-10-2011.

I am definitely looking for another OB  NOW.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Your levels seems fine.  Your progesterone seems a bit low, but don't freak out over it.  So many women with natural healthy pregnancies never get these values tested, so I don't know if we truly know what the range is supposed to be.  If she sees a flicker of a hearbeat, that's more indicative of a healthy pregnancy.  She should be able to measure/get a reading of the heartbeat by 7 weeks.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My Progesterone level was an 8 at my first OB appointment and he said they would like it to be above 10, so he put me on vaginal suppositories twice a day until 10 weeks.  I'm almost 11 now and had to u/s and the baby is growing at a steady pace and the heartbeat is strong.  He made it seem like there was nothing to worry about.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My first progesterone level was 12 and then my second a few days later was 26, but they still put me on it as a precaution since I've had previous miscarriages and with the last pregnancy my progesterone was low - 7.5. I was nervous because they wanted me on it again so I asked the nurse what it is suppose to be and she said, " Oh you're fine we are just giving you extra. All you needs is a 10 to sustain pregnancy." That being said, a 12 is just kind right there so I may look into getting on something if I were you, or get tested again and see if it went up. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have low progesterone and I'm on prog injections.  My doctor told me that prog can vary throughout the first trimester but like the pp said typically a 10 is needed to sustain a pregnancy.  Mine went from 14.4 to 16 to 13.3.  I'm 7 weeks 6 days today and had bloodwork again this morning so i'm not sure of the numbers as of yet.  I have my first ultrasound tomorrow and i'm so nervous!  But my HCG numbers have been going up consistantly so that's good.
    Also, something I found very interesting that my doctor told me was that for some reason (they aren't really sure why) but there is a natural progesterone drop in each woman somewhere between week 6 and 8 of pregnancy.  After that, the placenta tends to "take over" on it's own.  So i'm hoping my last number of 13.3 (which was taken at 7 weeks) was my "natural" dip.
    I'm high risk which is why I had my prog tested in the first place, so maybe you want to talk to your doctor about your number, just to be on the safe side.  It couldn't hurt just to get some clarification.

• Options
    My progesterone levels were very low-- almost non-existent which was preventing me from becoming pregnant (0.60). You want your progesterone to be above 20, so the group is correct that yours is a little low. I'd ask your doctor or get a second opinion. Good luck and congrats on being pregnant! I just found out yesterday that I'm pregnant! It's such a blessing, isn't it?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"